IGNORED

Looking to get my 1st 7800... what to look for?

tremoloman2006

Hello everyone.

I am a total noob when it comes to the 7800. I've never seen or played one if my life but it has a ton of cool homebrews I have to have (Space Duel, Asteroids Deluxe, Pac-Man Collection to name a few).

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is a good price for a complete system currently?
  2. What do I need to look out for? (i.e. known problems)

Thank you for your input!

Best regards,

Tremoloman

First, you wont regret it!

There are three basic US (NTSC) models:

Atari CX7800 - Vastly modified and enhanced 2600 model. Two joystick ports on lower front panel. New chipset (except sound chip; pokey chips could be added to carts). Side expansion port for upgrades and computer add ons. Bundled accessories included two CX24 ProLine joysticks AC Adapter, switchbox, RCA connecting cable, and Pole Position II cartridge.

Atari CX7800 - Second Revision. Slightly revised mother board, added an addional timing circuit. Expansion port connector removed from mother board but is still etched. Shell has indentation of where expansion port was to be.

Atari CX7800 - Third Revision. As above but only a small "blemish" mark on shell.

Read the FAQ, software pt 4 for compatibility, as some 2600 games can have "issues", also some types of cart may be a tight fit.

The joysticks are a love or hate item, but any 2600 type will work

Edited by mimo

Best regards,

Tremoloman

#1. I've found them in the wild for very cheap. However, they seem to be going for a quite a bit on Ebay. I think your best bet is determining how you want your complete system, boxed or not. If you don't have any place in your area to find them and have to resort to buying online, scan ebay for pricing, or post here in the marketplace.

#2. I hate the controllers. They are worse than the 5200 in my opinion, the stick is what does it. I have 3 7800's and probably 1 working controller between the 3. Also, unless you collect, the vast majority of 7800 titles are terrible, and this is my opinion, but I . If you can try the game before you buy it, I would suggest it, except for the ports like Galaga, Centepede, etc. It's games like Motophsyco, Super Huey, Fatal Run, stuff like that, that wasn't already released on a previous Atari system, seem to be pretty bad. I would highly suggest getting Commando, it's great, I also enjoyed Dark Caverns.

Hello everyone.

I am a total noob when it comes to the 7800. I've never seen or played one if my life but it has a ton of cool homebrews I have to have (Space Duel, Asteroids Deluxe, Pac-Man Collection to name a few).

I have a couple of questions:

Best regards,

Tremoloman

7800's are great systems.

Check the buttons - they were poorly made and are a common failure point. They can be replaced if you are comfortable with a solder gun.

Also check the video and power out - the awful "low connect" points for the joysticks made people tilt the systems back to change out the joysticks -- and putting all the weight on 2 flimsy connections.

If the console is great and the joysticks are bad get it anyway -- it's easy to get another pair of joysticks.

Thank you everyone for all your valuable insight! I will take all of your advice and start hunting for my 7800.

I do plan on using 2600 sticks with this as I've read loads of horror stories about the 7800 models here and elsewhere. :)

It is really worth getting for Bonq, PMC, Asteroids Dlx, Space Duel, Centipede.................

They're generally pretty durable in my opinion. Main areas to watch, as others have noticed:

1. The proprietary power supply. It's easy to break of you pull on the connection point too much ... and difficult to replace.

2. The sticks don't hold up well to "high force" gameplay. I killed one playing Double Dragon back in the day until I learned "don't grip, tap" and life was easier.

Also, the games are controversial. Since my friend Atari5200 has gone out of his way to be really civil, I'll return the favor and give my thoughts on the games that are good, bad and ugly.

My favorites on the system

• Alien Brigade - probably the best light gun, IMO and some of the best graphics on the system
  • Ballblazer - one of two games to have a POKEY sound chip
  • Basketbrawl - It had some flaws, but it was fun pummelling people and I loved the graphics.
  • Commando - Probably the best "modern" arcade conversion on the system. Wish this company did others.
  • Food Fight
  • Impossible Mission (the fixed version - the released one can't be beaten)
  • Mean 18 Ultimate Golf - Don't know why but was strangely captivated by this one.
  • Midnight Mutants - Probably my favorite 7800 title and definitely my favorite exclusive. After years of "why the hell don't they make games like you see on the Nintendo?", this came out. A quirky, entertaining quest game.
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Robotron 2084
  • Scrapyard Dog - Not going to replace Super Mario or Alex Kidd, but it's a solid platformer with good graphics and sound ... though very, very difficult.
  • Tower Toppler - Tough as nails but great graphics and animation. The underwater sequence has some of the best graphics on the 7800
  • Winter Games
  • Xenophobe
  • Xevious

Games I found entertaining as a diversion

• Asteroids - nice graphics, just not a huge fan of the game.
  • Centipede
  • Crossbow - solid game, enjoyed the XE one more.
  • Dark Chambers
  • Desert Falcon
  • Dig Dug
  • Donkey Kong - turn the sound down
  • Donkey Kong Junior - Turn the sound down
  • Double Dragon - I had a lot of fun with this game but it's really flawed and should have been much better done.
  • Galaga
  • Ikari Warriors
  • Joust
  • Mario Bros
  • Planet Smashers - Graphics were a real step back against other games around that time, but the bosses were cool
  • Pole Position II - I liked PP in the arcade and this was my first 7800 game so it got a lot of play for a long time
  • Summer Games - Good game, wish there were more events like the XE cartridge
  • Super Skateboardin' - Borderline with the category below. "The Boy And His Blob" minus the Blob and on a Skateboard

Disappointing only getting rare play

• Barnyard Blaster - Too boring
  • Choplifter - Too limited
  • Fatal Run - Loved Roadblasters ... this was clunky. Liked the intermissions and it probably has the best "ending" on the system though.
  • Jinks - Usually considered a total stinker though I will play once in a while. Only 7800 game with speech synthesis
  • Kung-Fu Master - Wanted to like it more but too hard
  • Meltdown - Probably need to replay
  • Motor Psycho - It's like Pole Position II, but with hills. Always wondered how they filled 128K with it when it's almost identical to PP2.
  • Ninja Golf - I really wanted to like this one, with the martial arts theme, the quirky story and the good graphics. It's just really repetitive.
  • Pete Rose Baseball - Better than Real Sports Baseball but did nothing for me
  • Rampage - Two issues here. I think all Rampages have "playability" issues in that they get old fast. Was also really disappointed in this conversion. Expected more.

Games I thought were total stinkers

• Ace of Aces - the 7800 has a disproportionate number of flight simulators, for reasons that escape me.
  • Crack'ed
  • F-18 Hornet - It's actually quite cool technically, just not any fun
  • Fight Night - Snore. Hated it on the XE too.
  • Hat Trick - Hated it in the arcade too
  • Karateka - By far the biggest disappointment as I *loved* this on the computer. Not flawed like DD, but outright terrible, thanks to awful controls
  • Mat Mania Challenge - Had high hopes. Really hated it.
  • One-On-One Basketball - Just didn't do anything for me.
  • Realsports Baseball - Horrible rendition. A huge step back from the (awesome) 5200 version, not even remotely like what was on competing systems and so far, far, far below what I expected a 7800 baseball game to be like. Pete Rose isn't great but still better than this clunker!
  • Sentinel - Couldn't get into it. May retry again and place higher.
  • Super Huey
  • Tank Command - Odd controls
  • Title Match Pro Wrestling - Dull as hell
  • Tomcat: The F-14 Fighter Simulator - Another Flight Simulator???!!! Argh!
  • Touchdown Football - This one, Atarian Magazine declared "Spectacular title screen". When that's a "selling point, be suspicious.
  • Water Ski - Odd controls and hard as hell

• 2 weeks later...
Or try to find the NES style European pads for them... I use them fine, could never, ever use the Proline instead tbh. And yes, any game just requiring one button will work fine with a standard 9 pin joystick.

Yes, this is important. Either find schematics(they're around here somewhere) and convert an NES pad to 7800, or order a pre-converted pad off e-bay. I can't even use the Pro-ass joysticks, they were made for alien lifeforms.

• 1 month later...

Again, thank you everyone for your insight! I've gotten myself a great 7800 system and a ton of carts. Space Duel is the bomb and I'm ordering the rest of the 7800 titles shortly. What a great system!

The joysticks do suck big time though... I'll look into finding a good 2-button joystick alternative.

I love Mean 18... I used to play that on the PC back in the day. GFX may be blocky but I love the gameplay.

Again, thank you everyone for your insight! I've gotten myself a great 7800 system and a ton of carts. Space Duel is the bomb and I'm ordering the rest of the 7800 titles shortly. What a great system!

The joysticks do suck big time though... I'll look into finding a good 2-button joystick alternative.

I love Mean 18... I used to play that on the PC back in the day. GFX may be blocky but I love the gameplay.

A lot of us really love the modded Radica Space Invaders stick for the 7800. There are a couple of threads about them on here. Keep your eyes on the marketplace section, they seem to pop up from time to time.

Edited by SRGilbert

RSI rocks as a controller. And how dare anyone diss on Froggo! :) They probably aren't the best 7800 titles, but their games are definitely playable (if a little masochistic).

Oh, first thing to look for on a 7800 is the Atari logo. :P

I got mine for about $60.

Came with system, direct coax adapter, hookups, and two pro-line controllers.

Then I bought some other stuff. =P

One thing you MUST get is at least one Atari 2600 controller.

The pro-line controllers IMO, are horrible, but thanks to the pin set-up, 2600 controllers work (unless the game uses two buttons).

Best regards,

Tremoloman

#1. I've found them in the wild for very cheap. However, they seem to be going for a quite a bit on Ebay. I think your best bet is determining how you want your complete system, boxed or not. If you don't have any place in your area to find them and have to resort to buying online, scan ebay for pricing, or post here in the marketplace.

#2. I hate the controllers. They are worse than the 5200 in my opinion, the stick is what does it. I have 3 7800's and probably 1 working controller between the 3. Also, unless you collect, the vast majority of 7800 titles are terrible, and this is my opinion, but I . If you can try the game before you buy it, I would suggest it, except for the ports like Galaga, Centepede, etc. It's games like Motophsyco, Super Huey, Fatal Run, stuff like that, that wasn't already released on a previous Atari system, seem to be pretty bad. I would highly suggest getting Commando, it's great, I also enjoyed Dark Caverns.

Thats funny you should say that you have 3 7800s and one good controller. I have 3 5200 stock controllers and they all have a button here or there that does not work or they are so loose that the characters just move left or something. I think the 7800 controllers are terrible to but not as terrible as the 5200 stock controller. Besides you can use a sega or old atari joystick on the 7800 and at least the 7800 controller self centers unlike the 5200.

• 4 weeks later...
Just for reference, the Atari 2600 version of Activisions Robot Tank and Space Shuttle doesn't work on my PAL/Secam 7800 :(

Yeah, you need to clip the leg on a cap to fix it. Sorry, I don't have the location of it at the moment. Maybe someone else has it.

Mitch

. I hate the controllers. They are worse than the 5200 in my opinion, the stick is what does it. I have 3 7800's and probably 1 working controller between the 3. This is not true,the 7800 controlers work fine.They can be painful though.They are great. :)

Edited by 7800 2

Forget the Proline and the stanadard Atari 2600 controller.....I use a Sega Genesis contoller on my 7800. Although there are a few games that won't work with the the Sega controller. There is a list out there. I know that Asteroids, Xevious and Midnight Mutants are some.

Someone also told me that you can't use the Touch Pad on the 7800. I guess some of the buttons work but not all. I don't know how true this is.

Steve

IMO, there's only two ways around the controller issue for two-button games.

A controller with a d-pad. An european Atari one and a NES one converted work very good. I suppose you could convert a Genesis or SMS and would do fine too.

If you preffer sticks, go for an arcade style (table-top) one. There's some great ones for the NES (NES advantage) and Genesis (Power Clutch SG) or the famous Radica Space Invaders. I never had a handheld joystick with more than one button that was comfortable.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to the 7800 as well. This thread was great for getting tips. I just got the console and some games. But it came with no power supply or RF cord.

So, I'm in the hunt for those items. I guess ebay?

Have no idea if the system works yet....cant wait.

I plan on ordering some of the NES-style controllers from Best Electronics very soon.

I just modified one of my NES controllers. You can find a how to around. I think, it may even be listed on this site....cant remember.

Super easy to do.

I'm new to the 7800 as well. This thread was great for getting tips. I just got the console and some games. But it came with no power supply or RF cord.

So, I'm in the hunt for those items. I guess ebay?

Have no idea if the system works yet....cant wait.

I plan on ordering some of the NES-style controllers from Best Electronics very soon.

I just modified one of my NES controllers. You can find a how to around. I think, it may even be listed on this site....cant remember.

Super easy to do.

Try Atariguide.com for the power supply, his are the best reproduction power supplies.