IGNORED

Resident Evil-ish Game on Atari 7800? Is something doable?

Nognir

Ok i know its a strange title for a topic :)

But I found a video of a pirated NES Version of Resident Evil, and although its a bit strange I really like the game mechanics and I was asking myself if something like this would be doable on an Atari 7800. It doesn't have to be a conversion of this game. But a Action Adventure with this game mechanics would be pretty cool I suppose.

So I'm waiting for your thoughts? Do you think something like this can be done on an Atari 7800? I think it would be a nice addition to the game library.

here is the link to the video i found: Resident Evil for NES

I have Resident Evil 2 for the game.com, but its a horrible game like most of the others, but better than games like Indy 500 :D

Maybe there is some inspiration for a really new game. that would be really nice :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going to make an 8 bit survival horror, the first question you need to ask is how you're going to scare someone. Cinemas are out. Crippling the controls is easier to justify in 3-D. It's difficult to ambush the player when they can see the entire screen around them.

It's not impossible, just hard.

1. Safety zones. A player under constant attack becomes numb.

2. Limit rewards. Make sure every power-up is important - add no more than are needed. a player who can heal themselves at any time will never question themselves.

3. Make the player feel vulnerable - Sometimes you shouldn't worry about playing fair. Evil Otto in 'Berzerk', Death in 'Gauntlet', ScissorMan in 'Clock Tower', The Nemesis in 'Resident Evil', Big Daddy in 'Bio Shock' all have one thing in common - they can hunt you.

Don't tell people where the most powerful enemies are - let them use their imagination.