IGNORED

XBox 360 blu-ray player

Draikar

Seems there are more and more rumors about a blu-ray player for Xbox since HD DVD format died, some even say its not a rumor and will happen by this May / June. One rumor that is untrue is that it could be built in the Xbox, but I do think they may add a add-on drive like the HD DVD one.

I'm kinda hoping this is true. I've been wanting to put a Blu-Ray capable system in the bedroom for gaming. So far, that leaves me with exactly one option-- the PS3. I could live with that, but as a gaming system, I'd much rather have an Xbox anyway. Plus, I'm about to buy one for the family room, and I'd certainly like to buy the best one on the market for the HD set.

So... MS, if you're listening, put a BluRay drive in the 360, and you can count me in for TWO of them!

I'm kinda hoping this is true. I've been wanting to put a Blu-Ray capable system in the bedroom for gaming. So far, that leaves me with exactly one option-- the PS3. I could live with that, but as a gaming system, I'd much rather have an Xbox anyway. Plus, I'm about to buy one for the family room, and I'd certainly like to buy the best one on the market for the HD set.

So... MS, if you're listening, put a BluRay drive in the 360, and you can count me in for TWO of them!

If they did that,they would release games in BluRay and make current 360s obsolete,right?If that happened,I'd switch to PS3 :mad:

If they did that,they would release games in BluRay and make current 360s obsolete,right?If that happened,I'd switch to PS3 :mad:

Nah...It'll be an add-on.

Now the Xbox 720 might be a different story.... If Blu-Ray takes off that is.

MS isn't going to be interested in paying Sony for a Blu-Ray drive if the format doesn't become the standard.

Does anyone really care? Next to no one bought the HD-DVD player (until it was $50) and anyone truly interested in Blu-Ray either already has a PS3 or a dedicated player. I can't see too many people paying $180 for an add-on drive like this. I wish MS would concentrate on gaming...

Does anyone really care? Next to no one bought the HD-DVD player (until it was $50) and anyone truly interested in Blu-Ray either already has a PS3 or a dedicated player. I can't see too many people paying $180 for an add-on drive like this. I wish MS would concentrate on gaming...

Gotta disagree. I'm hoping for the add-on. Maybe I'm in the minority though.

that would be a huge mistake and I would seriously doubt that would happen or they are going to piss off what 10 million fans that would have to replace their current 360 for a Blu ray one if they started using blu ray discs for games.

Edited by Atari5200

I personally won't ever support Blue Ray, it's just not as good a format (yeah, it's 50GB, instead of 35, but what they don't tell you is, that 50, is dual layered) It's got worse artifacting, if your eyes are good enough to catch that in the first place. And a few of the cool sounding features are missing, but eh...I guess HD's giveing it to them anyways :lol:

But what I find funny is this. The fact that the PS3's big selling point right now (besides what little fanbase they have left that isn't tired of being screwed over) IS blue ray. The fact is, most people (and all the ones I know in person) bought the thing, caus it was only like $100 more than a standalone BR player (well, now you can get them for less, but it's still a shitlaod) You give MS a shot at BR, even in an addon, for the 360, then your sevearly putting a dent in the market for the PS3 itself. Plus, even if it had the same $180 price tag (that's what the HD player was here on day one) you could get the Arcade, or elite X-box, and Still match the price of the PS3.

So I just gotta wonder...is a BR player in the works? Probably, will Sony let Microsoft put it out? Probably not, unless MS gives them such a good deal it's really worth killing off the PS3 for it.

And people wonder why I hate SONY:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/21/sony-is...ing-the-50-fee/

BTW, SONY owns almost all of the BlueRay disk manufacturing plants. And people try to say SONY doesn't control the format. What a joke. I did read they had finally licensed manufacturing to a Korean company but I can't find the article now. At least that leaves some hope that BlueRay disk prices will start to drop.

The true owners of Blu Ray can be seen here.

Yeah... keep beating that drum why don't you. They are the blue ray association. Doesn't mean they have all the rights to all the related technology. They just control and license the standard. And being partners does not mean they are all equal in the sharing of profits.

All you have to do is pick up a few BR disks off the shelf and look at the front of the package to see who is in control.

SONY gets special mention on the sticker on the front of BlueRay disks for their PS3. Does any other manufacturer? NO! Just "Blue Ray Players".