IGNORED

ROM

We're very happy to announce the availability of two issues of the very rare Canadian-based publication ROM on our site. You can download the two magazines in PDF format at http://www.atarimania.com/det_mag.php?MAG_ID=13

Mega thanks fly to Shawn Jefferson for taking the time to scan the pages!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

That is too cool! I remember seeing an ad for back issues or subscriptions or something way back when, and always wanted to get them, but at the time I was a boy with no money. I'd forgotten all about this magazine until now.

OK, i've typed Starbomb game (just for fun).

Alas the listing seems to be a bit messed up and i've done some changes to make it work (more or less) properly.

The main changes were done in lines 504 and 840.

Attached tokenized version (.BAS - loads by LOAD"D:STARBOMB.BAS") and the .LST one (loads by ENTER"D:STARBOMB.LST" of course).

Maybe someone will play with it a bit more.

Play the game with joystick plugged into port #1. :)

Greetings.

post-4727-1204749686_thumb.png

starbomb.zip

Hmm... just realized that ROM was released near the year 1983. :P

So i would thank Shawn Jefferson, too!

I wonder about the chances of obtaining the rest of those games (but don't look at me, my eyes almost burnt during typing Starbomb ;) ).

Maybe I should type some of them in... after all I have the original mags (not up for auction right now... I have some other stuff up though... hint hint ;) )

I remember spending hours typing one of those games in at my friends house (these magazines were his, and he gave them to me.) I think it was the Captain Campground game. I wish I could have found more of the ROM mags, but I've never even seen another one, or heard of anyone who has.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

I wish I could have found more of the ROM mags, but I've never even seen another one, or heard of anyone who has.

I have issues:

1984 Vol. 1, No. 7

1984 Vol. 1, No. 8

Dec/Jan 1985 Vol. 1, No. 9 (two)

Feb/March 1985 Vol. 1, No. 10

Allan

I thought that ROM magazine only ever had the first 3 (including #2&3 from this thread) and then it went out of business. How many issues were there in all?

Edited by Gunstar

I thought that ROM magazine only ever had the first 3 (including #2&3 from this thread) and then it went out of business. How many issues were there in all?

It went for ten issues or so and then got desolved into Atari Explorer for a couple of issues.

Allan

Wow! Can you scan them and send them into Atarimania? I know, a lot of work, I'll understand if you don't. Did you get them from Canada at some point?

I got them from eBay. Exactly where I don't remember. Right now I got my plate full. But if I find some time in the future I'll scan them.

Allan

It went for ten issues or so and then got desolved into Atari Explorer for a couple of issues.

Allan

Just the other day I noticed a reference in the only issue of the TAF Phoenix newsletter (from Toronto) mentioning that ROM went for ten issues, so I believe that's correct.

I wish I could have found more of the ROM mags, but I've never even seen another one, or heard of anyone who has.

I have issues:

1984 Vol. 1, No. 7

1984 Vol. 1, No. 8

Dec/Jan 1985 Vol. 1, No. 9 (two)

Feb/March 1985 Vol. 1, No. 10

Allan

I have: #4, #6, #8, #9

I'm in the market for issues I don't have, such as #7 or #10 :)

Well,

here is my small and incomplete collection of ROM-Magazine programs... I have also added some images with programs from other magazines, such as Hi-Res, Creative Computing, XEST, etc. and last not least some short ASCII-texts of what should have been in those magazines (as said before: incomplete, but better than nothing)...

Hey Miker, that Star Bomb program was missing in my ROM magazine collection, I have slightly altered the title screen there...

Final note: The ROM programs are mostly in Atari Basic, but two of them (attached here) also come with Assembler source code - can someone assemble these *.ASM sources and create *.COM/*.XEX files of them ... and then upload them here ?!?

greetings, Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well,

here is my small and incomplete collection of ROM-Magazine programs... I have also added some images with programs from other magazines, such as Hi-Res, Creative Computing, XEST, etc. and last not least some short ASCII-texts of what should have been in those magazines (as said before: incomplete, but better than nothing)...

Hey Miker, that Star Bomb program was missing in my ROM magazine collection, I have slightly altered the title screen there...

Final note: The ROM programs are mostly in Atari Basic, but two of them (attached here) also come with Assembler source code - can someone assemble these *.ASM sources and create *.COM/*.XEX files of them ... and then upload them here ?!?

greetings, Andreas Koch.

All the Hi-Res programs are here. I spent a lot of time getting them to work so please nobody waste their time re-typing these. All the programs (minus the C-64 ones) are there to download.

Allan

Afaik,

I got all the Hi-Res programs from www.atarimagazines.com, so they should be complete... concerning the other magazine programs (from Creative Computing, ROM, etc.), well, someone gave me a list and I searched through my collection...

Alas, I could not find everything and sometimes the names of the programs did not help much (e.g. Lunar Lander, I have dozens of them and do not always know which one belongs to which magazine)...

Let me know if you are searching for other magazine software... -Andreas Koch.

You rule :)

Do you know precisely from which issues the programs are taken?

--

Atari Frog

NO, I don`t... Maybe you should ask Bodo Juerss (HAPS, Hamburger Atari PD Service), since he gave me most of my magazine lists. He has also been scanning in hundreds (or thousands?) of Atari related magazines for some years now. At least he appeared at the last two Abbuc meetings and asked for some help for his magazine-scan-project. Think he has filled dozens of CD`s by now and he has also filled a database on his PC with information eg. regarding what magazines he has already scanned, what programs they contained, etc. etc. Alas, I do not have Bodo`s e-mail adress, but I can give you his postal adress at least... -Andreas Koch.

They're not standalone programs... AIRATTAC.ASM and BASEHUN.ASM are the sources for the BASIC USR routines used by AIRATTAC.BAS and BASEHUN.BAS. Neither one would do anything useful if you made a .xex file out of it... the BASIC programs include the object code in DATA statements.

Something maybe interesting: ROMMAG1.ATR has "DOS 2.75" on it, which looks like a modified 2.5. Anyone know what (if anything) is different from 2.5, other than the version number?

We're very happy to announce the availability of two issues of the very rare Canadian-based publication ROM on our site. You can download the two magazines in PDF format at http://www.atarimania.com/det_mag.php?MAG_ID=13

Mega thanks fly to Shawn Jefferson for taking the time to scan the pages!

--

Atari Frog

Thanks to you and Shawn.

They're not standalone programs... AIRATTAC.ASM and BASEHUN.ASM are the sources for the BASIC USR routines used by AIRATTAC.BAS and BASEHUN.BAS. Neither one would do anything useful if you made a .xex file out of it... the BASIC programs include the object code in DATA statements.

Something maybe interesting: ROMMAG1.ATR has "DOS 2.75" on it, which looks like a modified 2.5. Anyone know what (if anything) is different from 2.5, other than the version number?

Well,

concerning DOS 2.75, several bugs of Dos 2.5 have been corrected in this version. The update was done by an eastern german Atarian (I have all the german docs for that update by L. Ristau) and it was originally called Dos 2.71 with his name at the menu-top instead of Atari. I simply changed that into DOS 2.75 and put the "© Atari" back in place... Dos 2.75 is still fully compatible with DOS 2.5 and does not much more than DOS 2.5 does (but with fewer bugs)... -Andreas Koch.

Thank CharlieChaplin.

I forgot about tidying the title as i was mainly concentrated on fixning the game program.

Still one issue is present: when first letter is taken the amount of "score" moves one char right (but it happens only once).

---

As i've noticed: the "Slot Machine" game comes form Vol. 1, Issue 3 of ROM.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a lot today (Nice 800 with box and dust cover), and it included ROM Magazines volume 1, issues 2, 3, and 4. I now have two copies of #2 and #3 now. Unfortunately my scanner is packed away in storage, but as soon as I can dig it out, I will try to scan #4. With only 10 issues, we should be able to get them all scanned and put up at Atarimania I hope!

I think #1 will be elusive though... in issue #4, they mention that it is/has been sold out.