IGNORED

Stampede

Chris++

The year is 2002. Somewhere, an owl hoots. Some lonesome cowpoke's playing the theme song to "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" on a harmonica.

The scene is Game 4. The cattle move up and down as they run, and these dogies don't appear in order. I'm riding a horse across a reallllllllllly long ranch. I have a magic lasso with which I can make cows disappear into thin air.

I played this great, addictive game last night for over two hours, man. I just can't beat my previous high of 5,025 (Game 4). There must be some trick I'm missing (unless that's a good score?). I already know the strategy whereby you only leave one row of "non-red" dogies open at a time, once the game really speeds up. I vary this row, so the little bastards don't get too impatient.

I'm also trying to figure out if the code looks at the position of your horse when deciding what kind of animal to throw into an empty row. For instance, when you're all the way up at the top, is the game programmed to increase the likelihood of a stationary black angus appearing at the bottom?

Thanks for any tips (or commiserating!),

CF

Well, you've obliterated my high score on the game, but then again, I've only had it for a few months. Yesterday I hit a new high around 2,700 (sorry, I didn't write down the exact total) on variation 3, which I've found so far to be the best one for me to hit a rhythm on. But I don't know any secret techniques. I guess I should read the game manual... :idea:

There IS a pattern to the yellow calf/bum steer. I'm in the process of figuring it out, but I KNOW that it has NOTHING to do with the position of the horse. Its a timing issue.

And you almost ALWAYS get a bum steer after a cow skull, if I recall correctly.

I'll get on it this weekend and have an answer for you by first of the week.

Have you noticed a difference on Game 4 as opposed to Game 1 in regards to this?

Hi: my high on game 3 is about 51,000 from 20 years ago. I never played any of the variations where the cattle evade your lasso by moving up and down. Game one alternates skull, angus, skull, angus; followed each time by yellow Jerseys then brown Gurnseys. Game 3-4 is random order of all breeds of doggies. Maybe you can figure it out from the code, but I never do this! After the pattern of groups of 3 doggies spread wide, the herd recycles back to 1 doggie per row after a short break in play for a drink or a stretch! Maddening game- even with a stray count of 9 extras- you can lose very quickly if you mess up the pattern. Try knocking out 2 or even 3 rows are a time instead of only one. When you get up to about 37,000 get ready for a real surprise in increased difficulty!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck to all! :D :twisted:

Stan,

The dogies are ordered in Games 1-3, but beginning with Game 4, they don't appear in any specific order. Or at least, they're not supposed to. For instance, after the skull, you don't always get a black angus. You will in the easier variations, so you're correct there -- but starting with Game 4, the order is (supposedly) random.

CF

My hint: catch all you can at the beginning, I mean create a true stampede

so, you may die quickly but your score would be great!

I used to be very ' methodical ' in this game (when I was a kid) but now i can

get over 4000 in a fraction of time.

(obviously this is not great for high scores)

Starting with game 3 is the random order of dogie appearance, as I stated in my previous post. :love: Game 3 is also the game at which I've achieved my highest score. Todd's score on TG is 99,999; where the game ends. This is really a difficult game--I think it ranks up there with Kaboom!! Thanks to Bob Whitehead for a game that was certainly worth it's original purchase price and provides never ending fun. Even when I'm mastering another game and I need a change of pace; Stampede is a great game to play for a few minutes!