AMIGA CD32

Main Processor: Motorola 68EC020 at 14.3 MHz

System Memory: 2 MB Chip RAM

1 MB ROM with Kickstart ROM 3.1 and integrated cdfs.filesystem

1 KB of FlashROM for game saves

Graphics/Chipset: AGA Chipset

Akiko chip, which handles CD-ROM and can do chunky to planar conversion

Proprietary (MKE) CD-ROM drive at 2× speed

Expansion socket for MPEG cartridge, as well as 3rd party devices such as the SX-1 and SX32 expansion packs.

4 8-bit audio channels (2 for left, 2 for right)

Gamepad, Serial port, 2 Gameports, Interfaces for keyboard

ATARI JAGUAR

Processors:

"Tom" Chip, 26.59 MHz

Graphics processing unit (GPU) – 32-bit RISC architecture, 4 KB internal cache, provides wide array of graphic effects

Object Processor – 64-bit RISC architecture; programmable; can behave as a variety of graphic architectures

Blitter – 64-bit RISC architecture; high speed logic operations, z-buffering and Gouraud shading, with 64-bit internal registers.

DRAM controller, 32-bit memory management

"Jerry" Chip, 26.59 MHz

Digital Signal Processor – 32-bit RISC architecture, 8 KB internal cache

Same RISC core as the GPU, but not limited to graphic production

CD-quality sound (16-bit stereo)

Number of sound channels limited by software

Two DACs (stereo) convert digital data to analog sound signals

Full stereo capabilities

Wavetable synthesis, FM synthesis, FM Sample synthesis, and AM synthesis

A clock control block, incorporating timers, and a UART

Joystick control

Motorola 68000 "used as a manager." General purpose 16/32-bit control processor, 13.295 MHz

Other Jaguar features:

RAM: 2 MB on a 64-bit bus using 4 16-bit fast page mode DRAMS

Storage: Cartridge – up to 6 MB

Support for ComLynx I/O

In looks, the Jaguar is 100% better than the CD32, also the CD32 joypad is useless, bad quality.

As for games, the CD32 got many Amiga conversions, so did the Atari Jaguar. If you need a round-up of titles for both, buy the Digital Press Collectors Guide Advanced Edition, it gives you an excellent idea of what titles are available:

DPguide.jpg

Edited by thomasholzer

Just a quick post, are the games better than the Jaguar?

generally yes, in the same way that nes games are considered better than sms games. Jaguar had a few exceptional games, and 'revolutionary' 3d graphics but amiga's game variety makes me consider it a better library overall. Additionally, it could play quite a few amiga titles, and (IIRC) CDTV titles, but the CD32 library on its own is better than jaguar.

If you're asking which games look better, jaguar might have a bit more of an arguement. But I still think amiga's 'tried and true' 2d style is superior to jaguar's attempts at 3d. Many jaguar games were fancy looking back then, but are just awful now. The down side of that is that many of cd32's games were on other systems before cd32. But if I were stuck on an island with just one of those systems and every game made for it, I'd certainly go cd32. Especially with one of those hacked together 200+ game compilations.

Edited by Reaperman

generally yes, in the same way that nes games are considered better than sms games. Jaguar had a few exceptional games, and 'revolutionary' 3d graphics but amiga's game variety makes me consider it a better library overall. Additionally, it could play quite a few amiga titles, and (IIRC) CDTV titles, but the CD32 library on its own is better than jaguar.

If you're asking which games look better, jaguar might have a bit more of an arguement. But I still think amiga's 'tried and true' 2d style is superior to jaguar's attempts at 3d. Many jaguar games were fancy looking back then, but are just awful now. The down side of that is that many of cd32's games were on other systems before cd32. But if I were stuck on an island with just one of those systems and every game made for it, I'd certainly go cd32.

Well thats cool. I am thinking about getting a CD32 system. I was thinking about getting out of the video game scene but then I started looking into this. It looks pretty sweet. What are some of the better games for this system?

If you're asking which games look better, jaguar might have a bit more of an arguement. But I still think amiga's 'tried and true' 2d style is superior to jaguar's attempts at 3d. Many jaguar games were fancy looking back then, but are just awful now. The down side of that is that many of cd32's games were on other systems before cd32. But if I were stuck on an island with just one of those systems and every game made for it, I'd certainly go cd32.

Well thats cool. I am thinking about getting a CD32 system. I was thinking about getting out of the video game scene but then I started looking into this. It looks pretty sweet. What are some of the better games for this system?

Is the Jag the only system you have? Why were you thinking of quitting the video game scene?

Is the Jag the only system you have? Why were you thinking of quitting the video game scene?

Bills :)

Me too, being a fan of Gremlin and their Lotus games on the Genesis, the SNES Top Gears, and Nigel Mansell's World Championship for the SNES (Though their IndyCar title sucked), has me wanting to try Lotus Trilogy on the CD32. Hopefully someday I'll get one for that. :)

The CD32 shares one fatal flaw with the Sega CD, too few games took advantage of the console's strengths. Too many games were just Amiga ports with CD-DA audio...

But, here are my favorites...

Defender of the Crown II (More a 'Directors' Cut, than a sequel)

Simon the Sorceror (full spoken dialogue)

James Pond II (extra levels not even found in James Pond II AGA)

Guardian

Exile

On a strictly technical level, I think the jaguar had the edge, but IMHO, neither system lasted long enough to see thier full potential. I remember seeing all those preview pages for 'upcoming' CD32 games in Amiga Format, Amiga Action, etc....

Bills :)

Aww, I know the feeling :)

Defender of the Crown II (More a 'Directors' Cut, than a sequel)

Simon the Sorceror (full spoken dialogue)

James Pond II (extra levels not even found in James Pond II AGA)

Guardian

Exile

Simon The Sorceror is good, but too bad it's a must play on a PAL-only system, or a 1084 monitor. The bottom half gets cut off on an NTSC system and you're unable to click on the options :/

My other favs are:

Pirates!

Super Stardust

Worms

Zool

I've got 2 CD32s - 1 I use and 1 I bought from Ebay when the pallet of em was found in China a couple of years back. It sits in the closet in a box in pristine condition :)

I've got 2 CD32s - 1 I use and 1 I bought from Ebay when the pallet of em was found in China a couple of years back. It sits in the closet in a box in pristine condition :)

Yeah I see that guy is still selling them for around $60. I keep meaning to buy one but the shipping is almost as much as the console ($50)!

Tempest

Yeah I see that guy is still selling them for around $60. I keep meaning to buy one but the shipping is almost as much as the console ($50)!

Tempest

Yep, I paid about $140 total to have it come here (literally via slow boat from China). Considering an NTSC CD32 usually goes for $80ish, I figured it was worth it to have one new in box. Heck, when am I going to get a chance again? :) The only bad thing, is now it's harder to find titles on ebay (and they used to be dirt cheap). Most of the ones I see up there are from that place in the UK selling bootlegs.