IGNORED

Quadrun Boxed....???

maximebeauvais

It's nuts to me too, Joe, but it's a collector mentality rather than a yearning for a game that's fun to play. That's as close as I've come to understanding such high prices for single cartridges. I try not to express my opinion too deeply in such matters anymore, because around here, you get flamed if you express a viewpoint that doesn't go along with the majority.

I know, it's not terribly conducive to intelligent discussions; but I should stress that it's only on specific topics. My love of playing for pleasure, far above collecting just for the sake of collecting, is already known, so I don't press the issue anymore.

All we can conclude is that if someone has $500 to blow, he's entitled to buy whatever he wants. These people do exist. I can agree with that kind of purchase much more than I can identify with, say, a $500 set of golf clubs, so maybe it's all just a matter of taste.

CF

I understand overpaying for things.  I've done it myself.  Hell, I've gotten someone to give me $125 for a coffee mug on Ebay.  :)

But my real question is why is Quadrun a $500+ title, when others which are the same level on the rarity scale going for less than that?

I think it's a 'holy grail' issue. When people start to talk about rare atari games they seem to have always mentioned Quadrun. You could layout the actual facts and figures and show that some games may be scarcer and harder to find but there will always be people excited by name recognition alone and not the hard numbers.

I might get slammed for this but here goes.

I also can't understand why someone would pay that amount for any game.

I realize that some people need to have everything, but to pay that much for a game, it crazy in my opinion.

Let's be honest what are you going to do with it, play? it's not worth $500.00.--it's not that good. (if you want to play it that bad download the rom)

Let it sit on the shelf and look pretty?--Expensive dust collector.

if you like the look of the cart or box just print the picture and hang it next to the computer.

Here's my pay price for games

atari 2600

atari 5200

atari 7800

colecovision

sms

sega genesis

nes

turbo grafix

I will pay no more than $10.00 for any game for the above systems.

and thats on the very high side of a game that I "must have" and it's in great shape with box and instructions.

just my thoughts.

Have you guys ever thought about the fact that games become more rare because more and more collectors surface and these games disappear on there shelves and most of them will never be seen on eBay again.

Which brings me to the point of calling a $500.00,- dollar cart an investment because 10 years from now it might be worth $1000.00,- or more.

Who cares if the game is not that good if it makes your collection more impressive and you can afford it ?

Just my $0.02 :!:

Look you guys.. it's just the collecting aspect of it, that's all.

I'm happy and just fine playing Quadrun on my Cuttle Cart (thank god I have that option LOL :lol: ) but you bet your ass I'd still LOVE to have a copy of the actual cart (or box for that matter etc.). The difference is I'm just not willing to put in the funds necessary. However the hardcore collectors ARE willing. There's nothing wrong with it and more power to them! It's sort of like collecting stamps, you just use what you got.. but why diss the hardcore stamp collectors willing to fork out money for the rare stuff? heck, let them! It's all good. :)

I was just wondering why Quadrun - and not any other of the "10" rarity games.

heheh who really knows. :) I'm sure there are a number of intangible factors.

1. Maybe more have "heard" of it. Plus the fact it was profiled on the Antiques Roadshow didn't help out too much in lowering it's price. :roll:

2. Coolness factor.. The fact that it's a game w/ voice. Plus it's really not such a bad game.

3. Heck I dunno. Maybe because the majority of the 10 rarity games suck? :P

What do you all think? :)

I think the only people who bid on these sort of things are those who have to have a complete selection of all the Aari 2600 cartridges. Myself I have only 180 games (which I consider to be a small collection) and I only collect more of the common stuff. I don't think I would ever pay $500 for something like Quadrun. I would need to insure it since something that is rare like that would make me worry all the time that it might get damaged.

Good luck to whoever gets the one currently on Ebay. I figure it will probably go for $640 but that is just my guess.

i dont think 500 for a very rare video game is completely unrealistic. if you dont understand why people shell out big bucks for games, then i guess you dont understand what makes some people hardcore collectors. some people just need the game to complete their collections, some are just looking for an investment or videogame status symbol. when you have those three groups of nuts fighting over the rarest games then prices are bound to go absolutely crazy. just wait until more and more people start collecting and less and less of these quadruns, river patrols, and rarer games start drying up even on eBay... then you'll REALLY shit at the prices.

i really wouldnt be surprised if quadrun is a $ 2,000 game in 15 or 20 years.

the demand will eventually SERIOUSLY outweigh the supply.

willie

It is conceiving that something like Quadrun woudl be ultra rare by that time and go for as much as $2,000. I guess it depends if people are still collecting after all that time and whether or not Ebay or something like it still exists at the time.

i think it is a pretty safe bet that people will still be collecting games in 15 years... of course i think multicarts and emulators have kind of made things a little easier for the hardcore nuts. unless i kick the bucket ill be collecting this stuff in 15 years

willie

But my real question is why is Quadrun a $500+ title, when others which are the same level on the rarity scale going for less than that?

It's the same reason a serial numbered 1 of 100 Sammy Sosa autographed baseball card goes for more than a serial numbered 1 of 100 Mike DiFelice autographed baseball card, more people have heard of Sammy Sosa. There may be equal numbers of the cards in existence, but because Sammy is regarded as a more "marketable" player, so his card is worth more.

Quedrun is a good rare game, and it is usually the first one if you ask a collector for a list of "holy grail" games for the 2600. And it is the best known "10 rare" game (the Antiques Roadshow effect)

If you did a poll of the average 2600 collector for the top 5 rarest 2600 games, Quadrun would be #1 on 80-90% of those lists. Now, is it the rarest? Probably not, but most people associate it with being the rarest.

And since so many of the "10 rares" are reprints of already prtoduced games, those are in far less demand as well. "Why pay $500 for a Beagle Brothers Q*Bert when I can buy 5 for $2 at Goodwill?"

Have you guys ever thought about the fact that games become more rare because more and more collectors surface and these games disappear on there shelves and most of them will never be seen on eBay again.

Which brings me to the point of calling a $500.00,- dollar cart an investment because 10 years from now it might be worth $1000.00,- or more.  

Who cares if the game is not that good if it makes your collection more impressive and you can afford it ?

Just my $0.02  :!:

I think that there will always be a flow of the rare games. 10,000 copies

is not very rare compared to the rarest stamps or baseball cards.

There will always be hardcore collectors who sell. Some people lose

interest, finacial reasons, having children, other people reach 5 or 6

hundred carts and decide to scale back a collection to just sentimental

picks, there are many reasons.

However how many of that 10,000 survived today is another question. Other pop culture collectables like sports cards and comics have been around longer and have better estimates on the truly rare stuff than we do. Game collecting is just in its infancy. It took the growth of the internet

to get it organized. How many of us would be very knowledgable about

what's rare and not without the net? And its still very much a niche

market.

Part of the problem is the variety of systems and the bulk in storage.

That hampers the chances of a store using valuable shelf space to

devote a section to classic games. Its only worth it for a store to

stock the rare games yet to grow a market you need to have a few

decks and common games around to draw in newbies.

The interesting thing will be how Atari games are viewed and collected

in say 50 years. When most of today's nostalgic collectors and retrogamers will be dead and the only people who remember Atari

are hardcore collectors. Will the Quadrun's and Chasewagon's still hold

their value? Or will the treasured games be the games that made a splash with the public like Space Invaders or Yars Revenge?

John

It is conceiving that something like Quadrun woudl be ultra rare by that time and go for as much as $2,000. I guess it depends if people are still collecting after all that time and whether or not Ebay or something like it still exists at the time.

I don't see it. Collecting old video games is becomming pretty hot right now but I think it will mellow out in a few years. Look at comics in the mid-80's to early-90's. Totally hot collectibles and back issue prices were skyrocketing. Now-a-days, there is still a decent fan base but the hobby isn't nearly in the vogue that it was so prices have fallen drastically. I'd be really surprised if video games don't follow a similar trend. That said, I don't think that this hobby is even close to it's "peak" yet.