IGNORED

What do you think that was the biggest loss?

I wish that Warner had been a bit more far-sighted about the video game industry and had kept Atari.

I wish they'd released the XEGS instead of the 5200, but at the 5200's price point and with 2600 compatibility built in. Imagine: all your games and controllers will work with this new system, but you can also use all these great cartridges in the 8-bit computer catalog, with more on the way! It would have been an easy sell.

Then they could have started work on a next-generation computer. The 2600 would slowly fade away, the XEGS would be the standard gaming system, and they could come up with a 16-bit computer to compete with IBM and Apple going forward.

But that would presuppose that Atari had been well-run at the time, when it clearly wasn't. Each division competing with the others instead of with their real (external) competition. Pumping out shitty games in the belief that anything with the Atari name on it would sell -- and wouldn't tarnish their most valuable asset, their corporate brand. And trying to compete with Commodore when the real money was clearly at the Apple and IBM price points. And, most of all, not respecting their programmers and engineers, who then left the company in droves and started competing firms like Activision and Imagic.

Scratch that. Thinking about it, I wish Nolan Bushnell had found a way to fund Atari's growth in the 70s so that it would never sell to the idiots at Warner.

Tiger....who wouldn't have wanted to see a next gen Game.com??

I don't know if that was intended as a joke or not....but if it wasn't, Damn streight.

Back when I bought my Game.com new, the biggest vision I actually had for it, was a full blown PDA cart for it (sadly, even Nintendo seems uninterested to take up this venture) I Mean, honestly, at a time when the only PDA's out there were Palm...and sold for between $500 adn $1000 (depending on model) You have this little device, that sold at $30-$80 (depending on when you bought it, I paid $50 fior mine, marked down) And the cart, with extra internal memory would have cost in the $30-$50 range.

Why was this never done? The thing sucked at action (due to the 'outdated-for-early-80's' tech behind the LCD) but it friggin rocked at puzzles (why no solitar or lights out for DS?) and would ahve been an awesome budget PDA...remember, this was back in the mid-late90's when this thing came out, even PDA's, in all their price, couldn't do much more than address books, spell check, calculate, maybe Ebooks, if you were lucky. They weren't the competition to handheld gameing they are now (not that most peoploe buy one with the mind to play games on one, but still :P)

Sadly, it'll never come. I still want a PDA cart though, for my DS, or a next gen .com would be cool, but that's a 'very-stretched-beyond-the-realm-of-realit' dream at this point.