IGNORED

Colecovision Dead?

Goochman

The Colecovision was a great system. It had a lot of fun games and things were going great for the company until they released the ADAM computer. It was rushed and broke down a lot. It had design problems where the power supply was in the printer. They should have waited to release it but they did not and the breaking down of systems caused a major backlash.

They eventually fixed the problem but by then, everyone was distrustful of them. Coleco managed to stay alive as a company because of the Cabbage Patch dolls but eventually that too stopped making money and Coleco went out of business.

By the way, how many of you knew that Coleco was short for COnnecticut LEather COmpany? That is right. They started out as a leather company.

They were around long before the Colecovision as a toy company and had other consoles before the Colecovision too, dating back into the mid seventies, they had clones of all the vintage Atari and Magnovox stuff like PONG, etc. I still have a Coleco Telstar Pong console from '75/76 era. They attempted to become another Atari since basically Atari's beginning, but were less successful and bowed out of the business during the video game crash. The Adam was a last ditch effort to survive the crash, like Atari, through computers. Neither company successfully accomplished this, although Atari lasted about a decade longer...by the way, I'd love to get into the Colecovision, and have planned on it for years, as I always wanted one before I fell in love with Atari. I have about ten games awaiting a complete, working console at a good price. Anyone have one for cheap?

I'm glad lots of people on this message board are interested in working on a Colecovision site. As I said before, I would be strongly committed to contributing content to an existing site or a brand new site, it's just the technical and design stuff I'm not so good at. I have a lot more boxes I could scan than the ones on the link I supplied before. I must have another 50 or so boxes I could scan... just need to find the time. And I would enjoy writing game reviews etc. too.

Goochman wrote:

Since colecovision.com is already setup with some decent stuff why not alert the site admin that the Coleco folks are coming out of the woodwork - There are game scans, box scans, forums, etc.. over there.

I agree that www.colecovision.com has the potential to become the equivalent of Atari Age for the Coleco, it just needs more content, and for more people to use the message boards there.

Does anyone know who the site administrator is? Is it Daniel Bienvenu, or maybe Will Berdan? I seem to remember they contributed a lot of stuff there in the past.

Also, do any of the Atari Age site administrators have any opinions on all of this? Would it be best to try and get more to happen over at www.colecovision.com, or to try and make a fresh start with a brand new site? And if we set up a new site, do you have any suggestions or recommendations at all?

One other thing I forgot to mention, the Colecovision section of the new DP Guide has been developed quite a bit since the last edition (I helped out a little this time round). Does anyone have any opinions on the section? (my DP Guide hasn't arrived yet, I'm dying to know what it's like!)

Cheers

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

This thread seems to have died, which is a shame...

If anyone would like to work with me on a Colecovision website, please get in touch.

I am serious about getting a decent Coleco site up and running, it's badly needed as most of the other ones have disappeared or are no longer updated.

I just need someone to provide the webspace and help me out with the technical side. I can provide a LOT of content, scans etc. (I contributed some stuff to the Coleco section of the new DP Guide).

Also, if any of the Atari Age administrators can give any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone

Jon

i whould help with scans and pics i like the idea of a colecovision age and maybe a intellivision age ? has any one talked to albert ? :?  :P  :roll:  :D

IntellivisionAge? The Blue Sky Rangers have done a decent job of covering that console.www.intellivisionlives.com

After playing the Intellivision game pack on the playstation I have to conclude that the games suck compared to the coleco and VCS.

blit[/url]