IGNORED

Why the rudeness about eBay offers?

Captain Beard

I just made an offer on this copy of Immies and Aggies currently up for auction.

In my message, I asked why they were asking so much ($60) when the last one sold for less than $24.00.

Their response: "Because the other person was stupid. This is valued at 50.00 at least."

Now, I honestly don't know if that's a true value or not - and I'd be interested in hearing some opinions about that - but I thought that response was such a turn-off that I don't really want to do business with this seller now.

Which "other person" is stupid, exactly? The other seller? Sskatari, who won the auction? Or me, as I was the second highest bidder!?

I'll tell you what's stupid -- insulting a potential customer!

I admit to sending a lowball offer (well, $25, which is more than I bid in the last auction) but I was sorta flabbergasted by the response. Was it rude of me to ask the question in the first place? Am I just being oversensitive? And what really is the value of this cart?

Thanks, fellas -- I really was concerned that maybe I was in the wrong here. Now, not so much.

But doesn't anyone around here know what a reasonable value range is for Immies & Aggies so perhaps I can avoid such drama in the future? Would I get a better response if I started a new thread to address that topic?

Thanks, fellas -- I really was concerned that maybe I was in the wrong here. Now, not so much.

But doesn't anyone around here know what a reasonable value range is for Immies & Aggies so perhaps I can avoid such drama in the future? Would I get a better response if I started a new thread to address that topic?

Did you check digital press? They have an online pricing guide.

Did you check digital press?

I hadn't -- thanks.

Digital Press does indeed value it at $50.

That doesn't mean much...there's no rhyme or reason to their prices, they're way old.

I'd put I&A at no more than $30.

If you're referring to the book, that is true. We're always working on the live online guide, however, and urge everyone to let us know when prices are "off".

That doesn't mean much...there's no rhyme or reason to their prices, they're way old.

If you're referring to the book, that is true. We're always working on the live online guide, however, and urge everyone to let us know when prices are "off".

No big deal either way. It's almost impossible to maintain any kind of accurate price guide (print or online) with the way this market fluctuates.

No big deal either way. It's almost impossible to maintain any kind of accurate price guide (print or online) with the way this market fluctuates.

Which is exactly why I was hoping the experts here could provide me with a range.

I'm certainly not trying to insult eBay sellers with my offers or queries.

That said, it seems to me if this cart was worth what the seller thinks, it would've sold by now (especially given the extra attention this thread has surely brought it.)

I also question the whole "make offer" option from sellers who get insulted when someone does.

That said, it seems to me if this cart was worth what the seller thinks, it would've sold by now (especially given the extra attention this thread has surely brought it.)

I also question the whole "make offer" option from sellers who get insulted when someone does.

Both excellent points. ;)

I for one hate it when someone says, 'make me an offer' concerning something I don't have a ton of knowledge about and don't have the ability to even attempt to research it. I'll try to at least get a ballpark out of them and if I think they are out of line with the average or it really is that 'rare and valuable' and it doesn't look like it's worth the bother I walk on. In some cases, they already have a number in their head, they are just gambling that you are willing to go over it. I would play that game a lot at the flea markets. Where using tongs is suggested fare when dealing with the various used crap.

'Tongs' -- It just is a funny word to me. Say it out loud with me, "Tongs". Okay, end of tangent...

That said, I've gotten low balls from some of the usual reseller suspects. In some cases, what is said out loud is not nearly as nice as the typed response. On the other hand, I don't want to unintentionally insult someone with an offer myself -- hence the desire to get an idea as to what the person wants for the current object of my desire. And of course, sometimes I just guess. :D

Not to mention, if the price is already right, or even better, really good, it's just not worth it to pound on em' over a few dollars. It would be like asking the seller who has a top loader for a dollar if he'll take fifty cents. I could, but dude, WHY!?! It's a dollar. I spend more on a cup of coffee in the morning. Just blink and say, "Yes, that's a good price, I'll take it. Thank you."

Hex.

[ "you can quote them; glorify or vilify them; but the thing you can't do is ignore them; because they change things; they push the human race forward" --Apple commercial (paraphrased) ]

I would say a good condition Immies and Aggies or Pizza Chef are worth $50 (from a US seller). You rarely see them in decent shape, seems like they always have wear and it's usually right on the end label. When you do see them somewhat nice they are in Brazil, etc... if you want to play that game of postal roulette be my guest.

Here's another rude thing sellers can do: Not reply to your questions at all.

There's a Cosmic Crisis repro on eBay (ends tomorrow) I could have been interested in, so I sent a message to the seller asking if he was willing to ship this thing to Canada (it wasn't exactly clear from the auction description). The guy never even bothered to reply. I don't have a personal black list of eBay sellers, but if I had one, I would put that seller on it. :x

It's a bad picture and a good condition copy. I would say that $30 is very reasonable. $50 would be a premium for a loose cart, and a nice boxed copy should fetch $100+. Of course, I've never seen a boxed copy (I'm not talking hanging pack).

The seller is a doofus for replying rudely. If you have the Make Offer option enabled, you have to expect some crummy offers. Still, when I make an offer, most of the time I intend to haggle with some counter offers. If the seller just says 'No' then I hate on them.

The DP price is a little high, but not that far off. It's hard to keep up with the prices on imports since the market has fluctuated so wildly, and interest has waned while supply has increased.

The seller is a doofus for replying rudely. If you have the Make Offer option enabled, you have to expect some crummy offers. Still, when I make an offer, most of the time I intend to haggle with some counter offers. If the seller just says 'No' then I hate on them.

That's what really kills me. I never lowball any of these sellers so I've never had one off them go off on me, yet still if they don't accept my offer, I rarely see them send me a counter-offer. If you're not willing to negotiate, why accept offers at all? :?

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

That's what really kills me. I never lowball any of these sellers so I've never had one off them go off on me, yet still if they don't accept my offer, I rarely see them send me a counter-offer. If you're not willing to negotiate, why accept offers at all? :?

I think the very meaning of 'best offer' differs wildly between sellers and buyers, and in the end, eBay is really shooting itself in the foot with this feature, because it's an invitation for misunderstandings and undue rudeness. For some sellers, a 'best offer' means they'll accept a bid which is slightly lower than the asking price, while others use the 'best offer' feature to simply gauge interest and see how much they should reduce their asking price upon relisting their unsold item. On the other hand, some bidders think 'best offer' means they can submit whatever amount they're willing to pay, and most of the time they can't honestly predict how the seller will react to that offer. On average, the higher the seller's feedback rating is, the ruder the seller will get in his replies.

Did you check digital press?

I hadn't -- thanks.

Digital Press does indeed value it at $50.

http://www.atariguide.com/18/1854.htm