IGNORED

Background Colour for Lode Runner XE ?

HARMIK

Dose anyone know what the background colour should be for lode runner, on cart in blue XE box for the XE game system. Mine has a red background with green bricks, the back of the box shows purple background with blue bricks, i have tested it on 3 NTSC systems and played with the colour pot, and i think this is the first game i have come across on the 8bit that has region locking, as on my Pal system the colour is very funny, all other games seem fine eg Pole Poition grass green sky blue etc. All other games work fine in my Pal system.

Dose anyone know what the background colour should be for lode runner, on cart in blue XE box for the XE game system. Mine has a red background with green bricks, the back of the box shows purple background with blue bricks, i have tested it on 3 NTSC systems and played with the colour pot, and i think this is the first game i have come across on the 8bit that has region locking, as on my Pal system the colour is very funny, all other games seem fine eg Pole Poition grass green sky blue etc. All other games work fine in my Pal system.

The game uses hires mode and artifacting for color (at least the cart image I tried from Atarimania). The colors (redish/bluish) may be swapped depending on the Atari model. Also artifacting doesn't really work in svideo and I don't think it works on PAL either.

--Ken

Colour artfacting is used to produce the colours you see on NTSC screens. I am sure there are references on the net somewhere on how it works.

Artfacting doesn't work very well or not at all on PAL, at least I never could, just yucky shades of blue-grey that has very defined vertical lines.

There are a couple of hacked versions of loderunner that changed the display mode to hi res colour mode, It looks very much better on Pal screens, tho some parts don't quite line up. I must dig them up.

There at least a couple of other games that use colour artfacting.

James

Thanks for all the replies, i had a look at the Atarimainia site before i post it shows a blue background with lighter blue bricks mine is red/dark purple background with bright green bricks. (This is the three NTSC systems im talking about i only pulled out my old Pall system when the screen did not look like the back of the box or the screen shots on Atarimainia) Also i want to mod my XE to Svideo what is artifacting why do some game use it and should i mod my XE ?

Thanks for all the replies, i had a look at the Atarimainia site before i post it shows a blue background with lighter blue bricks mine is red/dark purple background with bright green bricks. (This is the three NTSC systems im talking about i only pulled out my old Pall system when the screen did not look like the back of the box or the screen shots on Atarimainia) Also i want to mod my XE to Svideo what is artifacting why do some game use it and should i mod my XE ?

I am quoting this from memory so if I am wrong, please correct.

Ntsc colour system isn't very good, on some broadcasts, you can see the colour leading or following a mono object.

Something like this error is used in artfacting.

The atari hires modes (2 by text modes and 1 by bitmap) will show this problem. the 8bit colour clock has 2 pixels to one clock pulse in hi res 320X192

think of the whole width of the screen being divided by2 Each pixel pair is used to give the affect. If the first pixel is on and the second is off, a colour is displayed, if the 1st pixel is off and the second is on, a different colour is displayed, if both are on, the actual foreground colour is displayed. The colour displayed depends a lot on the tv/monintor used and if it supports artfacting.

The text modes are mostly ok because the character map has all characters as double bit wide.

As for why? maybe it was an easier port from the apple to the atari?

extra colours in a hires mode??

James