IGNORED

7800 hardware question...

ataridave

My current 7800 console works, except that there is a hole in the bottom, where the circuit board (or whatever it is) is exposed. So, I have to move the console around to get the sharpest picture, which is messed up if I have to reset a game.

I'm using an RF cable hooked up to a Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter, but it's still not AV. So, what I'd like to know is, are these issues due to the shape the unit is in, or is it all just part of gaming with RF, as opposed to AV?

If the hole is only in the plastic case, moving it around should not affect the picture at all. I think you have a bad RF cable.

I was wrong. I'm not using an RF cable, just a single RCA cable that runs from my 7800 to the adapter that I mentioned. But still, isn't that supposed to give a better picture then RF??

you could try using an insulated cable, cheap at walmart or kmart. Or a piece of true coaxial with an adapter on the end. And if that isn't the problem, check to see if the connector is on good and not loose at all. Maybe a bad connection?

I had a connector come off from an unusually tight connector once.

Nathan

If the hole is only in the plastic case, moving it around should not affect the picture at all. I think you have a bad RF cable.

I was wrong. I'm not using an RF cable, just a single RCA cable that runs from my 7800 to the adapter that I mentioned. But still, isn't that supposed to give a better picture then RF??

It's still RF through the RCA cable. Your adapter has eliminated the switchbox, which certainly helps, but it can still be fiddly. Short of modding the console for A/V, the best you can do is to find a heavy, well shielded cable like nathanallan mentioned.

I was wrong. I'm not using an RF cable
Yes, you are. RF = Radio Frequency; what a TV would receive via an antenna. If you're using a single cable to connect a classic system to your TV, and you get picture and sound, it must be RF. (Unless you're in Europe and using a SCART connection.)

just a single RCA cable that runs from my 7800 to the adapter that I mentioned. But still, isn't that supposed to give a better picture then RF??
RCA is the connector type, RF is the type of signal carried by the cable. Edited by A.J. Franzman

I appreciate the info, everyone! :) Well, I tightened the adapter, and now it works fine-great picture, I don't have to move the 7800 around to get one! :)

It's just amazing to me that a 7800 with several holes in it-one below some of the circuit board-can work just fine. They don't make game systems like that anymore!

I appreciate the info, everyone! :) Well, I tightened the adapter, and now it works fine-great picture, I don't have to move the 7800 around to get one! :)

It's just amazing to me that a 7800 with several holes in it-one below some of the circuit board-can work just fine. They don't make game systems like that anymore!

Just don't stick your finger in there (or anything else for that matter, like a screwdriver<shudder>) and you should be fine.

So you have a loose 7800? Can I send my best friend's cart over? They'll get along great! yuk yuk yuk :rolling:

had to go there.

Nathan

Just don't stick your finger in there (or anything else for that matter, like a screwdriver<shudder>) and you should be fine.

So you have a loose 7800? Can I send my best friend's cart over? They'll get along great! yuk yuk yuk :rolling:

had to go there.

Nathan

Oh man :lol: , now come on, they didn't make racy games for Atari systems! :D