IGNORED

Mystery cables

bfollett

That looks like controller harness from an Atari 2600 POP kiosk, it plugged into a coin-op type connector on the main PCB.... I've seen something similar to that in the past.

Curt

That is what I was thinking when I saw it, some kind of Jamma (too early for that) or kiosk adaptor. So in this case, something that would have connected to the arcade style sticks on the kiosk (maybe two joysticks) and then the other ends we recognize would plug into a 2600 unit.

If so, cool! :D

That makes sense. :ponder:

The connector looked like something out of an arcade machine or kiosk, that's why I was thinking an arcade joystick. :D

You could connect the arcade joystick/buttons/roller controller to it inside a kiosk and people could play the 2600.

:idea: I though it was for a 2600 because of the left and right labels. Like I said before, it wasn't from the remote joysicks because I have seen the insides of those as well as the computereyes.

Should have asked Curt in the first place. :) :thumbsup:

The connector looked like something out of an arcade machine or kiosk, that's why I was thinking an arcade joystick. :D

You could connect the arcade joystick/buttons/roller controller to it inside a kiosk and people could play the 2600.

:idea: I though it was for a 2600 because of the left and right labels. Like I said before, it wasn't from the remote joysicks because I have seen the insides of those as well as the computereyes.

Should have asked Curt in the first place. :):thumbsup:

Well, this being part of a large kiosk atari 2600, isn't impossible. I actually did work in the computer and electronics departments of Sears in the early 80's. However, with all this discussion, I took a much closer look at the connector, and although the lettering I'm about to show you looks quite clear in the photo, trust me, its very small and you have to angle the lighting just right to be able to see the black on black lettering. Anyway, the word Amp is embossed in one of the corners of the connector, and a "w" on the opposite, so now I'm back to thinking it's a car wiring harness "maybe"

Connector.jpg

Bob

Makes sense. They had to build those sorts of displays to take a bit of punishment.

Wouldn't be a very good selling point if the demo unit suddenly stopped functioning just because some stupid plug fell out somewhere.

Chances are they probably outsourced development of the demo stands anyway -- not exactly like Atari was ever very good at marketing it's gear before Jack came along.

Well, this being part of a large kiosk atari 2600, isn't impossible. I actually did work in the computer and electronics departments of Sears in the early 80's. However, with all this discussion, I took a much closer look at the connector, and although the lettering I'm about to show you looks quite clear in the photo, trust me, its very small and you have to angle the lighting just right to be able to see the black on black lettering. Anyway, the word Amp is embossed in one of the corners of the connector, and a "w" on the opposite, so now I'm back to thinking it's a car wiring harness "maybe"

Bob

Amp is the manufacturer of the connector, they were/are one of the biggest connector makers in the electronics business. It being part of the 2600 kiosk makes a lot of sense.

Dan

Should have asked Curt in the first place. :):thumbsup:

Connector.jpg

Bob

The connector is a standard 24 pin that would have been used in almost any application, not just auto. The embossed labeling is probably generic for a standard usage. No different than using a s-video connector for a custom made SIO2PC adapter built into a 600XL, which I have seen on here. I'm sure that in building a kiosk for the 2600, Atari used whatever would work to get the job done. All the wires are connected probably so that the controller panel could use joysticks and paddles.