IGNORED

The most beautiful Atari 2600 game

Ransom

What is the most visually beautiful Atari 2600 game?

Which visual display really shows off what can be done with the system by an artistic programmer?

Medieval Mayhem has a beautiful animated dragon and victory march animation so that's up there for me.

A-VCS-tec Challenge has some nice graphics too.

For me,

Space Shuttle

Robot Tank

California Games

Solaris

Tomcat

Double Dragon was a cool achievement too.

UPDATED: After reading this thread, I'll add SMURF in there too. I'd never really wanted to play it but is it ever impessive graphically on both the 2600 and Colecovision.

Edited by DracIsBack

Tunnel Runner death sequence is cool.

He-Man victory screen always blew me away.

Atlantis had great sound and explosions of those tiny ships.

While Strawberry Shortcake is a ridiculously poor excuse for a 'game', the characters look great.

Here's an old thread with some more stuff like this.

California Games has exceptional visuals and should be on the list.

I also have a great admiration for Activision games that use the sunset effects - I'll throw Enduro out there for one.

However, I think simple games can be beautiful in their own way, so I personally, for example, find Adventure, Kaboom!, and Activision Tennis beautiful.

Medieval Mayhem has a beautiful animated dragon and victory march animation so that's up there for me.
Medieval Mayhem is hard to beat though. That dragon is just to well animated.

Thanks! espire8 did a great job in creating the dragon graphics and animation sequences, plus he came up with the idea for the marching knight. If he hadn't then trophies would have been used as follows:

Round Winner

post-3056-1205870562_thumb.png

Game Winner

post-3056-1205870567_thumb.png

Here's a quicktime video(3.2 MB, 1:17 minutes) for those who haven't seen the dragon & knight in action.

Medieval Mayhem is hard to beat though. That dragon is just to well animated.

Wow! Thanks guys! That really made my day because MM was released over a year ago and I never read any player appreication for it like this before! I'm even still concerned if much of anybody know about the eastereggs --not much reports about it's discovery. However, the game's looks in no way can surpass it's perfectly balanced gameplay -that's for sure.

there is something about comic ark that i always found wonderful, turmoil too. the modern demos/etc are of course very impressive. oystron i also find very appealing. I still find stargate to be amazing looking on the 2600, crystal castles too. Of course, Solaris as well. I also think tapper does an sweet job on the 2600, love the look of krull as well, especially the spider web part. There are many others :) I certainly agree with lady bug and medieval mayhem and avcstec, impressive all. boulder dash looks pretty sweet too :)

Homebrews:

- Toyshop Trouble

Thanks. It was hard getting all 26 frames of animation for the elf, but Nathan Strum really did a great job with his character animation and his toy designs. If I do a sequel to TT, I may go back and add some more toys, since I couldn't use all of Nathan's great toys in my first game.

As for 'original era' games with beautiful graphics, Dark Chambers and Centipede both have gorgeous title screens. Airlock's is pretty good by 2600 standards, too (too bad the rest of the game isn't). Grand Prix has gorgeous looking cars, and Dolphin manages some very nice looking sprites. Spitfire Attack and Space Chase both have a pretty good initial 'wow' factor, though the wow factor of the latter wears off after a few seconds.

According to Rob Fulup, his Demon Attack was the first game where a professional artist was hired to do the graphics. Boy did it show. Those demons look great compared with the usual programmer-designed graphics of other games. On the other hand, what games have better looking ducks than Adventure?

E.T.

Yep. I was blow away by the intro screen, and the rest of the characters were larger than most characters in 2600 games. Yeh, still impressed by it.

Yep got to agree with you on that. I still remember the day I rented it from my local video store for I spent a good ten minutes just sitting and watching the intro screen thinking how incredible it looked on the 2600 ;)

How about some of those amazing demos, like The Core? That was cool.

Activision games are very pleasing to the eye. Medieval Mayhem is hard to beat though. That dragon is just to well animated.

"The Core?" Hmmm I have not seen any demos for the VCS that are not games. Could you tell me where I may find "The Core" and other non-game VCS demos, please. :) :) Sounds really cool! I like tech demos.