IGNORED

Pixel Junk Monsters

cimerians

Never played a castle defender game before and just from the "looks" (i.e. trailers) of Monsters, it didn't appear to be anything I would be interested in. Then, on a whim, I downloaded the demo (long after the demo went online) and became instantly addicted to the game.

I agree with you... its one of the best offerings on the PS Store so far!

Mendon

I played the demo this weekend.

I apparrently don't get it.

What I gleaned from the demo is that you build defense outposts which fire on enemies without interaction from you. Arrows suck. Cannons are better. AA towers fire on flying things. The monsters move according to a predetermined course at a predetermined speed according to type. So, the only challenge is to build enough towers along their path of advance to annihlate them.

Is that it? The only thing the demo really implied were more enemies and more defense tower types. I suppose it would be OK as a free internet flash game, which I suspect is the origin of the game, but as a $10 pay for download I'm not seeing the appeal.

In later levels do monsters approach along multiple paths? Is there any way to earn money other than by cleaning up after slaughtered monsters?

I played the demo this weekend.

I apparrently don't get it.

What I gleaned from the demo is that you build defense outposts which fire on enemies without interaction from you. Arrows suck. Cannons are better. AA towers fire on flying things. The monsters move according to a predetermined course at a predetermined speed according to type. So, the only challenge is to build enough towers along their path of advance to annihlate them.

Is that it? The only thing the demo really implied were more enemies and more defense tower types. I suppose it would be OK as a free internet flash game, which I suspect is the origin of the game, but as a $10 pay for download I'm not seeing the appeal.

In later levels do monsters approach along multiple paths? Is there any way to earn money other than by cleaning up after slaughtered monsters?

The answer is yes to all your questions.

Co-op is excellent.

Sorry you dont like it but its a great game when unlocked. Too bad demo's are not that great for everyone.

I recommend getting it though but if your not sure wait till it drops in price.

I snagged Gauntlet 2 and PAIN this past week-end. i had my eye on Pixal Junk Monsters, but I thought someone said the Pixal Junk games were terrible (I think it was in reference to a car game though) did the same people make a car game? Anyways, always glad to hear positive recommendation, I'll try it out.

Racers was not good and its from the same team. I'm not sure what happened there. Monsters is fantastic so maybe they suddenly woke up.

Its a Japanese company and they have two more projects coming up called Eden and Pixel Junk Dungeons. Eden looks a little lame but who knows. Dungeons is interesting as I have heard it may be a Baldurs Gate style dungeon hack game.

They messed up on Racers and scored well with Monsters. Hopefully the next few games are good too.

(I guess everyone has a dud now and then)

My wife and I love to play PixelJunk Monsters co-op. I too tried the demo and immediately made the purchase. Sony needs to put up many more demos, particularly of their download-only games, as I'm sure I'd also get games like Pain. No demo though, no purchase for me. Ubiquitous demos are just one of many things that make XBLA far superior to what Sony has come up with thus far.

My wife and I love to play PixelJunk Monsters co-op. I too tried the demo and immediately made the purchase. Sony needs to put up many more demos, particularly of their download-only games, as I'm sure I'd also get games like Pain. No demo though, no purchase for me. Ubiquitous demos are just one of many things that make XBLA far superior to what Sony has come up with thus far.

Oh. I agree. The Monsters demo at least made me consider a purchase. If it had been $5, I probably would have gone ahead and taken a chance on it. That's more than I can say for Everyday Shooter, a game I refuse to consider because there's no demo to try.

more than I can say for Everyday Shooter, a game I refuse to consider because there's no demo to try.

Oooooooooo That sucks. Everyday Shooter is really a kick ass game. Even more of a "Just one more go at it" game than Geometry Wars ever was for me. Easily one of the top PS store games available in my opinion. I wonder why Sony doesn't have demos of all games? You would think a year more development time and they could at least offer gamers that much.

:ponder:

(Yeah I know, that extra year had nothing to do with gamers and everything to do with Blu-Ray ;) )

• 1 month later...

I might have a look for a demo of it but Pixel Junk racers really put me off that team. They really reckon themselves, don't they? The nerve they have, leading the title with their stupid name and logo. They want to spend a bit more time putting together a better presented package and a bit less on the self promotion.