IGNORED

Atari ST Projects -- Ninja Z (Atari ST homebrew)

retrogeek

I'm working on a few game ideas that I would really like to develop on the Atari ST and possibly other platforms. This game was a bit obscure and not very popular, but I've always had a deep love for Ninja Mission by Masteronics. This was a fun beat 'em up; the purpose of the game was to fight through a horde of thugs to confront the final end boss. There was no scrolling to speak of and each screen was static. Each level could be reached through a small hole in the ceiling. Pressing 'up' on the joystick would send the ninja through the hole and into the next area. The game execution was simple and got progressively harder as you battled group after group of martial art attacking thugs.

I've always felt more could have been done with this game. The game play is very 80'ish and lacks the finesse of today's fighters, but it was the simplistic nature of the game that made it so compelling. Weapons were very limited to throwing daggers and a sword attached to your back; you'd swing the sword over your head to strike your opponent.

My idea expands on the idea; a 2-player option would be a must and would greatly enhance the experience. Plus, the game should have more weapons for the player to use. I'm not just suggesting a larger selection of weapons, but having the capability to switch between your fists / feet and your sword for example. The flying through the ceiling part was ok, but possibly adding a grappling hook feature and having the player scale the wall into the opening ( while thugs crawl up the rope after you) would add an urgent element to the game. It would also be interesting to have other locations instead of limiting the environment to a single area. Hmmm... I dunno... I still have to work out the details.

I spent some time this evening working on a new sprite design for the project idea listed earlier. The idea is to have 2-players and arcade-like action.

Sample of my work:

mywork.jpg

Any comments you may have about the idea and test image are welcome!

Update: I have read the Non-Programmer Idea Peddlers sticky and this thread wasn't created to attract programmers; I'm new here do I wanted to make it clear! :)

Edited by retrogeek

Oh SWEET@!

NICE graphic!

I absolutely loved that game! I still play it from time to time.

The music would be awesome to incorporate. I wonder if anyone ever released a midi of the music etc.

I must check that out. :)

The one thing that used to bug me was that sometimes when you killed a ninja he would take a star or dagger with him to the afterlife giving the next ninja you encounter the "lost in the ether" item. Then again I guess it DOES add a neat dynamic to the game. Maybe its a feature best left in. Hehehe.

Will definitely be watching!

And wow would that be a good 'port to 5200' project for someone too.

I must go... Tori in the Sea is my destination... :)

Edited by Noelio

Oh SWEET@!

NICE graphic!

I absolutely loved that game! I still play it from time to time.

The music would be awesome to incorporate. I wonder if anyone ever released a midi of the music etc.

I must check that out. :)

The one thing that used to bug me was that sometimes when you killed a ninja he would take a star or dagger with him to the afterlife giving the next ninja you encounter the "lost in the ether" item. Then again I guess it DOES add a neat dynamic to the game. Maybe its a feature best left in. Hehehe.

Will definitely be watching!

And wow would that be a good 'port to 5200' project for someone too.

I must go... Tori in the Sea is my destination... :)

Glad to meet your acquaintance! It's good to know there are other Ninja Mission fans out there. :) The star / dagger issue used to always frustrate me!

It might be a game feature worth keeping so stay tuned as the project develops. ;)

Ninja Mission on the 5200 would rock!

Edited by retrogeek

Background sample (Content still in progress / may change):

mywork3.jpg

The reduced image looks a bit funny but the enlarged image looks fine.

Things still to do:

+ Add mist over the mountain ranges

+ Enhance the score board / life bar area

+ Maybe change a few colors

Edited by retrogeek

Ninja Mission by Masteronics is the inspiration for this project but the project itself has taken on a whole new state and will not be a direct remake. The best elements of the game will be included, mixed in with new ideas. There will be selectable characters and a character select screen. I have always wanted to use the tiger claws present in the Ninja Mission load screen; one character will use these claws as his main weapon. The project has been coming along smoothly. I found an Atari ST computer so coding can begin once the art and sprites are complete. Here is a sample of the first character from what will be a selectable portion at the beginning:

mywork4.jpg

A website will be created eventually to outline story, game design and the artwork / sprites currently in development.

Edited by retrogeek

Some additional details on the project:

Tentative Title: Ninja Z

Number of players: 2

Number of selectable chars: 3

Target Platform: Atari ST

Levels: (Numerous # is undetermined))

Game / system specs: (Undetermined at this time)

Release date: Whenever I finish coding it. :)

Edited by retrogeek