devwebcl 0 3
Bunsen 0 1
Hornpipe2 0 1
krupkaj 0 1
pseudografx 0 1
pseudografx 0 1
Edited by Goochman

Here we go... 75,260

Broke a Flashback joystick playing this, but a fun game.

Ok, the computers you blow up at the end of each level, let me know if you saw the same thing (as far as you got).

The first level was a Odessey KC Munchkin right?

Second Level is Commodore "C" symbol

Third is Apple (An Apple)

Fourth looked like a "A", so Amstrad? Amiga?

I didn't catch what the fifth level was.

Here is a movie I made of the completion screen...

Have a good weekend everyone!! Off to go camping. :D

post-4709-1207280865_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

This is a bit of a whacky game but I did like the use of colors - lots to see making it appear more like a C64 game (though control and balance are a bit off)

Well looking it over again, it looks like the 2nd stage, the Commodore stage, was specifically given red and white checker colors (like the Amiga ball) and even the balls on that level look like miniature Amiga balls.

So this is what we have...

post-4709-1207500673_thumb.jpg Level 1: Is this TI? (Nope BBC- 4-7-2008)

post-4709-1207500722_thumb.jpg Level 2: Commodore.

post-4709-1207500756_thumb.jpg Level 3: Apple

post-4709-1207500787_thumb.jpg Level 4: Amstrad? (Yeh 4-7-2008)

post-4709-1207500837_thumb.jpg Level 5: Sinclair? (That or Spectrum 4-7-2008)

A lot of these were taken just playing normally, I used the cheat code to get the fifth level. I found out that while on the cheat code the animated ending is not shown. Apparently all the boss headquarters shown above simply repeat.

And at each level you get a new message when you destroy the enemy headquarters:

Level 1: Atari

Level 2: Computer

Level 3: Users Group

Level 4: Dunedin

Level 5: New Zealand

Levels 3 and 5 were the hardest for me since those actually have air traffic. The first level has air traffic as well, but you do not have heat seeking missiles coming at you, planes flying off the left side of the screen, or the bomber at the top of the screen.

So what do you guys think, did I guess the computer icons above right, or would you say something different?

Edited by doctorclu

1 is the texas instruments owl right?

Owl!! I could see that. And you are right, it was a Owl, but it was not TI...

post-4709-1207548969.jpgpost-4709-1207500673_thumb.jpg

...To find out how I figured that out, get a load of these sights that talk more about Laser Hawk...

http://www.page6.org/people/harveyk/harveyk.htm

This awesome DETAILED site...

http://hawkquest.tripod.com

The Laser Hawk Game instructions which say the following:

http://hawkquest.tripod.com/lhawk.txt

"You play the role of a Mercenary named Jim din'Alt, who has been recruited by the industrial giant PROC IRATA to destroy the command headquarters of five Hi-Tech industrial centres located on Terra Firma. The centres produce suspicious household invaders which turn their human inhabitants into robotrons. Your secondary targets are the various manufacturing and design buildings en route.

The targeted centres have been code-named BEEB, COMM, APP, AMS and SIN.

You will receive bonus points and an extra helicopter when you have

destroyed a Command Centre."

BEEB, COMM, APP, AMS and SIN eh? BBC, Commodore, Apple, Amstrad, Sinclair (later said to be Spectrum below...)

Proc Irata... LOL!!! Wonder if there is any gag in the name "Jim din'Alt"

From that same detailed site, a tribute to Andrew Bradfield (he passed? That sucks) in his tribute we get some answers:

http://hawkquest.tripod.com/history.txt

"Andrew was responsible for the program design of Laser Hawk, which was his version/clone of "Tail of Beta Lyrae" which was a Scramble clone. I merely designed the graphics he required. I can't recall how we ended up with bombing the headquarters of the rival computer companies of the time, as being the game's premise. The companies, being Apple, Amstrad, BBC, Commodore and Spectrum."

So the owl was the BBC Computer logo. Cool cool.

I sent an invite to Harvey Kong Tin (who wrote the tribute above), hope he stops in.

Edited by doctorclu

Message from Harvey...

"Hi Greg

I did register, and then tried to post a reply on your forum - but get a negative reply in trying to do so. Can't figure it out... why it's doing that...

Thanks for showing the interest... will reply again soon...

Harvey"

post-11930-1207579732_thumb.png

13830 :rolling:

It gets easier... fire down at an angle continually firing and you will hit buildings as they come into view. First, third, and fifth levels you will have to dodge missiles AND aircraft. 2nd and 4th are kinda easier.

Gets better as you go.

Message from Harvey...

"Hi Greg

I did register, and then tried to post a reply on your forum - but get a negative reply in trying to do so. Can't figure it out... why it's doing that...

Thanks for showing the interest... will reply again soon...

Harvey"

Hi, everything seems to be working today, but last night it wasn't. Maybe because then, I just registered and was approved, but somehow did not have full access, etc...

Anyway - it is good to see people interested in Laser Hawk - and hopefully HawkQuest. Because Laser Hawk was Andrew's first game effort - there was not too much in that.. say compared to HawkQuest - which has a lot in it, that players would like?

It is amazing how much you forget over time. I can't remember anything about the origin of the name Jim din'Alt - it would have been Andrew's naming - like he named almost all the planets in HawkQuest, I did choose Xavier (to pay homage to Xevious) and Cytron (for Tron) which the planets would remind you of those games?

The 'A' in Laser Hawk, is of course for 'AMSTRAD' - if you look at the AMSTRAD logoname. Amiga never had their name in this style - and since all the other names/logos were 8-bit computers, then you knew which name it could only be...

I was thinking I could post some videos up? Somewhere? Would YouTube be the best place for them? I have some computer demos that were done, but never released anywhere - plus I have sequences taped from HawkQuest to show the various planets etc in it. I could post the demo files/programs here on this site? I did have the computer drawing 3 different subjects - like that excellent Atari 400 self portrait... I do think you can do your own? If you wanted to... I can't think of a painting program that shows the coordinates of the cursor in magnify mode? I think I used the AtariArtist cartridge? for that... which you can't run under emulation. The only tricky thing to learn is to use the XIO fill command in BASIC. I'm no programmer, but I managed to use the Plot and Drawto commands with lots of DATA statements, which held the coordinates. Lots of them are required.

Harvey

Hey Harvey... glad you made it!! I would love to see the demo videos. Youtube would be a great place for it, and if you need any help with Youtube, let me know, I have like 150 videos online at this point. :D

http://www.youtube.com/doctorclu

I would especially love to see this Atari 400 self portrait. You got that handy?

Yeah stuff is easy to post up here on the board. You can upload files, etc. Best to zip it to make it smaller. It's nice to dig up some of these classic programmers and see what they have to say. We got to talk to the Gauntlet programmer a few HSC's ago. :)

Hey Harvey... glad you made it!! I would love to see the demo videos. Youtube would be a great place for it, and if you need any help with Youtube, let me know, I have like 150 videos online at this point. :D

http://www.youtube.com/doctorclu

I would especially love to see this Atari 400 self portrait. You got that handy?

You may recall? That in an Atari programming book, there was this type in program, which the computer draws the Atari 400 in Graphics mode 8 - it was brilliantly done - very accurate indeed.

Well I did my own Atari 800 version of it - also the computer drawing a woman's portrait, and one of a lighthouse...

All using Graphics mode 7.5

There was a graphics demo I designed - before HawkQuest was started on - it was separate Fontbyter screens (Fontbyter was a graphics utility appearing in Compute magazine) - anyway a friend of Andrew and I - Todd Gramstrup was able to scroll these screens - of landscapes - what he did amazingly well, was that each set of screens had it's own character set (You should know that games use redefined character sets - so as to use as less memory as possible...) and there were 4? sets with their individual character sets - and all these were scrolling down the screen - and the joins were perfect - only those who know this trick was being done, would be amazed by the programming skill involved. I used the full character set for the landscape - so these looked better than the HawkQuest landscapes - with a game, you have far fewer characters available for the graphics designs - because characters are used for explosion frames, rubble, animating the moving 'car' vehicle - and targets needed recognition characters to identify that as a bombable target.

And I have slideshows of different graphics I've done. A lot of micropainter screens, some done by Touch Tablet, a couple by the light pen, some Technicolour Dream pictures - a few digitized colour stills, then coloured by Technicolour Dream. And some Fun with Art pictures (These being New Zealand pictures).

They are on videotape - also in their original Atari program/files format - ready to run via emulation...

I just have to find them... from my archives...

Have you seen the Technicolour Dream pictures slideshow? Showing samples done with TD?

This uses - I think? Interlaced Graphics Mode 9 and Mode 10?

The resolution is low, but the number of colours very high.

I'll drop a note here, after I posted something up...

Harvey

I have uploaded some videos here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/kiwilove007

Note - there are a few C64 piccies - compare these to the Atari ones...

I didn't really explore the capabilities of the C64 much at all... and only did a few

simple samples... just for the sake of doing it. I think I used a magazine graphics

program - not a commercial one..

Harvey