IGNORED

PAL XE in an NTSC Environment?

Larry

I've just purchased a PAL "B" XE to use here in the U.S. (mostly for demo's that won't run on my NTSC machines). My display device is an ATI AIW graphics card, and it lists support for PAL displays.

Should this setup work ok as-is, or do I need to change something internally in the XE? There are a bunch of "PAL" threads here, but I didn't find anything that addressed this particular question. Also, is there a difference between NTSC and PAL GTIA's? I know that the Antic's are different.

Thanks,

Larry

Edited by Larry

So you'll be running the thing through a video capture device to a monitor, I assume?

Nothing special to do really, just set the capture device to PAL, although some autodetect.

Some older ones have problems with the non-standard display type that old computers generate and get a bit confused, but modern ones I've used have all been OK.

There should be nothing you need to do - the "B/G" PAL subtypes mainly relate to the seperation of the audio from video frequencies. Once again, the TV tuner software/driver can deal with that - either set the region to a country which uses that standard or manually select it.

Really, it is much better to just use a monitor cable/adaptor and put it through composite or S-Video, and run the audio into your sound card.

ed: Ataris have specific Antic and GTIA for PAL or NTSC - yes.

Edited by Rybags

So you'll be running the thing through a video capture device to a monitor, I assume?

Nothing special to do really, just set the capture device to PAL, although some autodetect.

Some older ones have problems with the non-standard display type that old computers generate and get a bit confused, but modern ones I've used have all been OK.

There should be nothing you need to do - the "B/G" PAL subtypes mainly relate to the seperation of the audio from video frequencies. Once again, the TV tuner software/driver can deal with that - either set the region to a country which uses that standard or manually select it.

Really, it is much better to just use a monitor cable/adaptor and put it through composite or S-Video, and run the audio into your sound card.

ed: Ataris have specific Antic and GTIA for PAL or NTSC - yes.

Thanks, Rybags!

After I get it (this week, I hope) I'll post an update as to how things look on my AIW (capture, S-video).

-Larry