IGNORED

Atari ST hard drive question

I've been researching the possibility of upgrading my 1040st (when it arrives) with a hard drive. I've encountered a few information sites that mention various SCSI controllers for the system, most notably:

AdSCSI Micro ST

AdSCSI ST

AdSCSI Plus ST

The Link 2

I just recently acquired an older (hardly ever used) Disk2Go system from a computer tech. The external system comes equipped with a small hard drive (I haven't opened the case to verify drive size) and its parallel port based. It's the EH-132 (EPP Mode) and was wondering if this is possibly compatible with the ST?

My experience with the ST (where hard drives are concerned) is zilch. The information I gathered about the Link 2 seems to point to the parallel port for conversion using this adapter, so I was wondering if this specific device would work directly. Any ST techs out there that could shed some light on this?

Edited by retrogeek

In theory it is possible, but in reality no way.

First problem is that Atari has little reduced parallel port with less lines than PC.

Other is that no driver.

Your only way to use some SCSI drive is adapter, as those mentioned. But prices are not low.

Edited by ppera

In theory it is possible, but in reality no way.

First problem is that Atari has little reduced parallel port with less lines than PC.

Other is that no driver.

Your only way to use some SCSI drive is adapter, as those mentioned. But prices are not low.

Thank you for the information; I guess I need to hunt down one of the aforementioned peripherals.

With a 1040ST you will want The Link 2 or other external type SCSI host controller.

Another option is for Atari's own SH20x series and also Supra SCSI which are the best IMHO as they also provide an external DB25 SCSI port for attaching other SCSI devices! (The Atari ones do not allow that, and even getting a SCSI drive working in them is very hard if impossible)

I have a Megafile 20, SH204 and Supra SCSI 40 and I like the Supra the best. I also have a Link 2 and its nice but you have to pay an arm and a leg and also provide your own SCSI enclosure (Great for a Zip, Jaz, Syquest or external SCSI box though!)