IGNORED

TigerVision compatibility mod complete

shadow460

It's not too difficult once you get the console open and the cart port sleeve off. Basically, all you have to do is cut or break the screw posts off the bottom of the sleeve, then slip it over your Tiger cart to ensure the long pins slide through. The cart will still sit high in the slot like Froggo games do, but it will run.

Since all Tiger carts are R5 and up, I figure this is an easier way to make sure your 7800 will play them. I will post details later, and maybe a complete guide as to what I did to my 7800 so far. The only things I have left are the addition of an XBoarD (for Beef Drop VE), addition of a video mod with stereo output (for Air-Sea Battle), changing the power jack, and repairing the panel controls (they went wonky on me already). I don't think I want to socket all the IC's, since there's too much risk of damage to the motherboard. I'll socket the new ones when these finally die.

My test cart, BTW, was Miner2049er. I don't think Jawbreaker will work as a test cart with that spring loaded dust cover. It should run just fine in an un modded 7800.

What's done?

Modded the sleeve for Activision, Imagic, and TigerVision carts

Added a TV Type switch

Socketed MARIA and BIOS chips

DevOS BIOS installed

I think the only game that's not compatible with my 7800 is probably the 2600 version of Dark Chambers. Both of my SuperChargers work just fine.

OK, instructions. If they aren't complete, that means I fell asleep while typing and my head must have fallen on the "enter" key.

What you need:

Xacto knife

#2 Phillips screwdriver

Needle nose pliers

TigerVision cart with plastic pins that extend to the very edge of the shell.

1. Open the 7800 carefully with the screwdriver. Remember that the plastic screw posts are prone to breaking.

2. Flip the 7800 over so that the metal strip is up. Lift the back of the top cover and swing the cover off.

3. Lift the back of the motherboard out. Once that's lifted, the whole board will come right out.

4. Locate all the metal pins on the RF shield and use the pliers to twist them so they are straight. There are a bunch, so be sure to get them all. Once you've done that, the top side of the RF shield will lift off.

5. Remove the bottom RF shield from the motherboard.

6. Locate the two strips of tape on the underside of the board by the cartridge port. Cut them away with the knife to reveal two screws. Remove the screws and the cart port sleeve comes off.

7. Flip the cart port sleeve over so that you see the top. Note that it's octagonal shaped. Let's do the Imagic mod first.

8. Cut the two bottom corners out of the sleeve. That is, cut the corners that would be closest to the Power and Reset switches if the sleeve were on the board. You can cut the corners completely out, or just slit them. either way, the sleeve will expand for Imagic carts now.

9. Flip the sleeve back over and use the Xacto knife to cut around the base of each screw post. You may have to slice outward from the threaded holes to break the screw posts up into sections. Use the needlenose pliers to break away the screw posts. DO NOT touch the plastic clips that hold the sleeve down--they are extremely fragile. Once the screw posts are gone, slide your TigerVision cart into the sleeve, making sure the long pins clear the sleeve. Cut away whatever material necessary until the pins clear and the edge connector passes through the center slot in the sleeve.

10. Snap the sleeve back onto the motherboard. If you broke one or both of the clips, the sleeve will move about some. The cart slot and the 7800's top half will hold the port in place if need be.

11. Re assemble the RF shield and simply bend the tabs down to hold it in place. Don't bother twisting them--just bend them a bit.

12. Re assemble the 7800's case. The screws must only be finger tight--any tighter and the screw posts will shatter inside the case.

That's it (I think) zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Edited by shadow460

Koo-Aid man worked straight out of the box. It may have some compatibility issues with the program on some 7800s.

My main reason for actually modding the console is that I prefer to be able to plug the games in and play them just as the console was designed. The pass through cart would have been a viable option here since my console was in excellent condition when I got it. Externally, it still is in excellent condition.

It's nice to just plug in and play without having to keep a certain item around for when I want to play a game that doesn't fit the slot.

Were you able to get Kool Aid Man to work on it? I don't know if there would be a solution for this cart. :cool:

The are two issues with Kool Aid Man. The first one is that sometimes people have the pause feature turned on (difficulty switch) without realizing it. The other is due to a buggy run of TIA chips that affect some 2600jrs and some 7800s.

Mitch

I think the second generation 7800s are the ones that run the risk of damaging the SuperCharger, but I'm not sure. They have that extra timing circuit in them. I've got a third generation 7800, and I've never seen the timing circuit in person. On mine, I just plugged in my Starpath SC and turned the power on. It worked. Later I checked it with my Arcadia SC and that one worked, too.

Does your 7800 have an expansion port or any evidence of one?

I thought it had been established that 7800s damaging superchargers (or vice versa) was an urban legend?

Well, more urban legend than truth. I know a couple people had issues but I suspect it had more to do with the Supercharger not fitting in the 7800 cart slot properly.

Mitch