IGNORED

Jackpot! - Comp Thrift Shop in NH -- Store info added --I AM NOT DOOMMASTER

retrogeek

1500 software titles and the price vary depending on the title. My question is: how does he expect us to buy any of his software if no one can browse through all the products? Lol

There is so much stuff packed inside this little store it boggles the mind.

Sounds impressive. But are there really 1500 boxed Atari 8-bit games? Or anywhere near close to that?

For reference, 1500 boxed games would of varying sizes would probably take up about an 8' by 12' space if the shelves were deep and filled to absolute capacity (double rows, light boxes stacked on top of sturdy boxes, etc.)

If the titles were mostly unique, that might be the biggest physical Atari 8-bit collection anywhere in the world.

I'm skeptical. You won't give the name or address of the shop, Google Maps doesn't seem to think there are any computer thrift stores of any kind in the entire state of NH, and you're asking to take people's money in return for picking up stuff from a store that you won't identify. Seems like a scam to me. Prove me wrong by posting the name & address of the store. Or just PM it to me and I'll be convinced. :-)

No charge for the service; I just want to help out fellow Atari fans.

If you're truly into helping fellow Atari fans, why won't you post the contact info?

I'm skeptical. You won't give the name or address of the shop, Google Maps doesn't seem to think there are any computer thrift stores of any kind in the entire state of NH, and you're asking to take people's money in return for picking up stuff from a store that you won't identify. Seems like a scam to me. Prove me wrong by posting the name & address of the store. Or just PM it to me and I'll be convinced. :-)

I was starting to think the same thing. There's a duplicate thread in the ST forum and there are people (myself included) asking for contact info. I really hope this is for real, but everyone would be wise to hang onto their money until the existence of this place has been proven.

Edited by Deteacher

Hope this isnt the famous retrogeek AKA "DoomMaster"

If not, what a nick to have chosen!

If not, they certainly have enough in common to have been separated at birth. I can't imagine I wouldn't know of someone peddling atari iron in new hampshire. My vote is that this guy is an ebayer looking to avoid fees -- at best.

Though he denied it when asked directly, I remain confident it's Doommaster. Especially considering his adversarial character and some other facts. He will probably come up and say that what I write is because I am an "anti-american bigot" and due to our confrontation in another thread, but that doesn't annoy me a bit. Anyway, a search in www.atari-forum.com and www.amiga.org would yield some results about the behaviour of Doommaster. I would be very cautious. Thank you.

You people aren't the friendliest bunch are you? The reason I haven't posted the store information is because the shop keeper doesn't want to deal with mail orders / long-distance orders.

If anyone still wants this information then I'd be happy to share it privately.

If you tell him that you found his information here I will be REALLY pissed.

Oh and BTW: hence the name off-hours, he's open from 1pm-6pm so don't expect him to be open at 9am.

And I am NOT Doommaster or whatever the hell he's called; I'm 33 years old and I live in New Hampshire.

I think some of you owe me an apology here[/b]

Edited by retrogeek

Though he denied it when asked directly, I remain confident it's Doommaster. Especially considering his adversarial character and some other facts. He will probably come up and say that what I write is because I am an "anti-american bigot" and due to our confrontation in another thread, but that doesn't annoy me a bit. Anyway, a search in www.atari-forum.com and www.amiga.org would yield some results about the behaviour of Doommaster. I would be very cautious. Thank you.

Do you know how stupid you look when you mention how confident you are about my identity; especially when you’re 110% wrong? lol This is why I don't like you, plain and simple.

I have never encountered so many assholes in my life on a single message board. I post the store information against the store owner's will, I notice that some of the instigators from this thread come in and read what I've posted, yet none of them are even mature enough to chime in with a simple " Yeah ok, we were wrong" comment. Know what? You people need to grow up a little bit AND pull your heads out of your collective asses.

Edited by retrogeek

1500 software titles and the price vary depending on the title. My question is: how does he expect us to buy any of his software if no one can browse through all the products? Lol

There is so much stuff packed inside this little store it boggles the mind.

Sounds impressive. But are there really 1500 boxed Atari 8-bit games? Or anywhere near close to that?

For reference, 1500 boxed games would of varying sizes would probably take up about an 8' by 12' space if the shelves were deep and filled to absolute capacity (double rows, light boxes stacked on top of sturdy boxes, etc.)

If the titles were mostly unique, that might be the biggest physical Atari 8-bit collection anywhere in the world.

I posted the store contact information so you will have to ask Jim(the store owner) yourself. He has a storage room in the basement so I would imagine that is where most of it is stored?

Do you know how stupid you look when you mention how confident you are about my identity; especially when you’re 110% wrong? lol This is why I don't like you, plain and simple.

I have never encountered so many assholes in my life on a single message board. I post the store information against the store owner's will, I notice that some of the instigators from this thread come in and read what I've posted, yet none of them are even mature enough to chime in with a simple " Yeah ok, we were wrong" comment. Know what? You people need to grow up a little bit AND pull your heads out of your collective asses.

Nothing would make me happier than being wrong in this case.

Nothing would make me happier than being wrong in this case.

It would make me happy too! It would mean this headache of an issue would go away.

Edited by retrogeek

You people aren't the friendliest bunch are you? The reason I haven't posted the store information is because the shop keeper doesn't want to deal with mail orders / long-distance orders.

Fine, here is the shop info :

Off Hour Multimedia Workshop

81 Calef Highway, Lee, NH 03861

(603) 868-5969

The owner’s name is Jim.

If you tell him that you found his information here I will be REALLY pissed.

Oh and BTW: hence the name off-hours, he's open from 1pm-6pm so don't expect him to be open at 9am.

And I am NOT Doommaster or whatever the hell he's called; I'm 33 years old and I live in New Hampshire.

I think some of you owe me an apology here

Retrogeek,

First of all, I'm glad that this place is for real. I will not contact the person, unless I'm actually inside his store. Hopefully that will be in the near future. This reply is, in no way, meant to offend you. Being that you're relatively new around here, you need to understand a few things:

1. You were asked several times for the store contact info, to which you flat out ignored those posts. Yes, you mentioned early on that you weren't sure if he wanted to deal with mail orders or not, but you never once mentioned that the shop owner didn't want his store publicly exposed. That seems to be a strange way to do business, but he can run his store the way he wants. You could have told us from the beginning that he didn't want his contact info revealed. That probably would have satisfied most people. Sure, there might have been a couple who would still cry B.S. (Hell, I might have been one of them, I'll be honest) but you could have been a little more up front with everyone when you first posted.

2. Every person that requested the store info was interested in driving there to do business, face to face. Nobody mentioned wanting to deal through the mail or over the phone. I live in DE, and I drive up to NH several times a year to visit my brother and his family. If his store is on the way, I would love to stop in and check the place out. I have no intention of calling/emailing/mailing him.

3. People around here are skeptical. Surely you can understand why. Collecting is a touchy subject and nobody wants to get ripped off. With today's technology available, it's not too difficult for someone to rip someone else off. The best defense is to be cautious and make sure you know who you're dealing with. Apparently, this 'Doommaster' is a perfect example. There are scammers everywhere. Go to any subforum and look through them. I'm sure you'll find several examples of people trying to rip off the community. Creating repros and trying to pass them off as original prototypes, for example. Hell, there's a topic in the 2600 forum on how to recreate boxes for carts that look almost 100% identical to the original boxes. That has people worried about buying a NIB shrinkwrapped R10 that actually has a 'Combat' inside. The folks around here have learned to be skeptical in order to protect their own interests, so when someone new comes in with "the latest find" folks here want proof before buying into it. I'm sorry if this offends you (as it is not meant to) but you've only been around here for less than a month. You come in getting everyone excited about this great find, but were unwilling to show any evidence that you're telling the truth. Personally, I don't blame the community for being so leery.

Again, I'm glad you provided the info so others can go check the place out. That truly helped out the Atari fans. But you'll quickly find that whenever someone posts a find, they're going to be asked to back it up with proof. You may agree or disagree with that philosophy, but that's how it is. You can choose to accept that and become a contributing member of the community, or not accept it and go your merry way.

Retrogeek,

First of all, I'm glad that this place is for real. I will not contact the person, unless I'm actually inside his store. Hopefully that will be in the near future. This reply is, in no way, meant to offend you. Being that you're relatively new around here, you need to understand a few things:

1. You were asked several times for the store contact info, to which you flat out ignored those posts. Yes, you mentioned early on that you weren't sure if he wanted to deal with mail orders or not, but you never once mentioned that the shop owner didn't want his store publicly exposed. That seems to be a strange way to do business, but he can run his store the way he wants. You could have told us from the beginning that he didn't want his contact info revealed. That probably would have satisfied most people. Sure, there might have been a couple who would still cry B.S. (Hell, I might have been one of them, I'll be honest) but you could have been a little more up front with everyone when you first posted.

2. Every person that requested the store info was interested in driving there to do business, face to face. Nobody mentioned wanting to deal through the mail or over the phone. I live in DE, and I drive up to NH several times a year to visit my brother and his family. If his store is on the way, I would love to stop in and check the place out. I have no intention of calling/emailing/mailing him.

3. People around here are skeptical. Surely you can understand why. Collecting is a touchy subject and nobody wants to get ripped off. With today's technology available, it's not too difficult for someone to rip someone else off. The best defense is to be cautious and make sure you know who you're dealing with. Apparently, this 'Doommaster' is a perfect example. There are scammers everywhere. Go to any subforum and look through them. I'm sure you'll find several examples of people trying to rip off the community. Creating repros and trying to pass them off as original prototypes, for example. Hell, there's a topic in the 2600 forum on how to recreate boxes for carts that look almost 100% identical to the original boxes. That has people worried about buying a NIB shrinkwrapped R10 that actually has a 'Combat' inside. The folks around here have learned to be skeptical in order to protect their own interests, so when someone new comes in with "the latest find" folks here want proof before buying into it. I'm sorry if this offends you (as it is not meant to) but you've only been around here for less than a month. You come in getting everyone excited about this great find, but were unwilling to show any evidence that you're telling the truth. Personally, I don't blame the community for being so leery.

Again, I'm glad you provided the info so others can go check the place out. That truly helped out the Atari fans. But you'll quickly find that whenever someone posts a find, they're going to be asked to back it up with proof. You may agree or disagree with that philosophy, but that's how it is. You can choose to accept that and become a contributing member of the community, or not accept it and go your merry way.

I appreciate the response and the explanation; this explains a lot. When I initially spoke to Jim (the owner) about mail order, he didn't seem too keen on the idea for some reason. When I visited his store in Lee, NH we spoke for a good 40 minutes about his love for Atari and the items he has there. Jim seemed like a decent person but you will get the impression that he's a strange duck when you talk to him.

When I mentioned the message board (again) -- this time face-to-face -- he wasn't interested in selling here or having his information posted. I was embarrassed to say this here, and my biggest concern was that someone from here would contact Jim and mention that they found his info posted on a public forum. Since I was the one who brought everything up to him (the board, mail order, etc), I was concerned that it would cause trouble for me.

I am no stranger to online scammers. I used to be a big Neo-Geo collector that used to purchase and sell very rare, very expensive Neo-Geo cartridges. I have been scammed myself in the past and know exactly what’s it like to lose hard-earned money.

I hope there is some way to prove that I am not this scammer DoomMaster; it’s my rotten luck that this would happen.

No offense was taken btw.

Edited by retrogeek

I AM THE DoomMaster

Well if you're really him then thanks a lot for all the bullshit your bad reputation has caused me. :x

Edit: if this is some kind of joke then you have a twisted sense of humor.

Edited by retrogeek

Retrogeek,

I appreciate the response and the explanation; this explains a lot. When I initially spoke to Jim (the owner) about mail order, he didn't seem too keen on the idea for some reason. When I visited his store in Lee, NH we spoke for a good 40 minutes about his love for Atari and the items he has there. Jim seemed like a decent person but you will get the impression that he's a strange duck when you talk to him.

When I mentioned the message board (again) -- this time face-to-face -- he wasn't interested in selling here or having his information posted. I was embarrassed to say this here, and my biggest concern was that someone from here would contact Jim and mention that they found his info posted on a public forum. Since I was the one who brought everything up to him (the board, mail order, etc), I was concerned that it would cause trouble for me.

I am no stranger to online scammers. I used to be a big Neo-Geo collector that used to purchase and sell very rare, very expensive Neo-Geo cartridges. I have been scammed myself in the past and know exactly what’s it like to lose hard-earned money.

I hope there is some way to prove that I am not this scammer DoomMaster; it’s my rotten luck that this would happen.

No offense was taken btw.

He does sound like an odd sort. I would think if I was a store owner, I'd want everyone to know about me. Oh well, I guess we all have our quirks. :)

I look forward to checking the place out, next time I'm up there. I'm mostly a 2600 collector, but I'm finding myself playing 8-bit games via emulator again. It might be nice to have a small setup of real 8-bit hardware again.

Welcome to the community. Another thing I've found is that everyone here can get past the ugliness and get back to why we're all here in the first place. You had a rough start, but it'll get better. I don't know who this 'DoomMaster' person is, but he must have really wreaked a lot of havoc around here. If you're not him, I'm sorry you got pegged the way you did. :(

He does sound like an odd sort. I would think if I was a store owner, I'd want everyone to know about me. Oh well, I guess we all have our quirks. :)

Agreed…

He also comes off as arrogant at first but get him talking about Atari and he warms right up. lol

I look forward to checking the place out, next time I'm up there. I'm mostly a 2600 collector, but I'm finding myself playing 8-bit games via emulator again. It might be nice to have a small setup of real 8-bit hardware again.

His store is a treasure trove of retro equipment! His place is jammed full of items so its not like walking into a store like CompUSA; it's cluttered and small but the items you see there are incredible.

Welcome to the community. Another thing I've found is that everyone here can get past the ugliness and get back to why we're all here in the first place. You had a rough start, but it'll get better. I don't know who this 'DoomMaster' person is, but he must have really wreaked a lot of havoc around here. If you're not him, I'm sorry you got pegged the way you did. :(

Thank you; I believe you have been the first one (since my initial introduction post) to welcome me to the community. My stay so far hasn't been the greatest but I hope that people start realizing that I am not who they think I am. I'll even go as far as posting my ugly mug on the forum / profile if that helps!

Edited by retrogeek

Thank you; I believe you have been the first one (since my initial introduction post) to welcome me to the community. My stay so far hasn't been the greatest but I hope that people start realizing that I am not who they think I am. I'll even go as far as posting my ugly mug on the forum / profile if that helps!

I am sorry you got a bum rap. There are a lot of good and talented people here, I hope you stick around to find that out. Wecome! I appreciate you looking to see what you could offer. Thanks!

What family are the four SGI's for $50 each?

I never got around to asking him. . Jim did mention that they were true 64-bit machines so you might want to give him a call to find out which revision they are.

Edit: you do mean the model numbers right?

Edited by retrogeek