IGNORED

Lynx or Game Gear?

I want a new retro handheld and since I'm saving up for a laptop, I can only buy one for now, since they're both expensive (Lynx because of games, GG because of hardware).

Game Gear has more games I want to play and the Tv Tuner, but Lynx has a few neat titles. I'm also interested in learning how to program and the Lynx, besides having a larger homebrew scene, is a far superior machine. Is there a homebrew scene and sufficient support/documentation for SMS/GG as well? And which is easier to program to?

Edited by Atari_kid

Well, from my own personal opinion, both systems are great. They both have their high and low points. Howver, you say there are more games on the Game Gear that you're interested in than the Lynx. My suggestion then is go for the system that has the games you want to play.

However, that said, I've owned a Game Gear since 1996, and have many more games than I do for my Lynx, which I acquired a couple of years ago (I had an original Lynx with only two games, but this new system I got with a handful of games giving me a nice collection of games to play). And my Lynx has received a lot more gameplay than the Game Gear, mostly due to the convenience of excellent GG/SMS emulators available so I can play those games right on the PC. But also due to the fact that the Lynx just has fun, pick-up-and-play games.

To me, the Lynx games feel faster paced than the GameGear games do, although this isn't a blanket statement. Remember, the Game Gear has a few Sonic titles, that are by no means slow (although Sonic Triple Trouble seems rather choppy to me; still not a bad game).

I guess what all my rambling boils down to is that you should get the system that you think you'll play most. But you won't go wrong with either system, given the right selection of games. If you have in mind a few games on both systems you might want to pick up, try them out on emulators for your PC and see if you enjoy them.

However, when it comes to emulators, I leave you with this caveat: Lynx games are best enjoyed on the real system since Handy still doesn't work quite right (it works on some games better than others). Shadow of the Beast and RoadBlasters are two examples that emulation just doesn't do justice. For Game Gear, however, there are some very nice emulators that get the gameplay nearly spot-on.

I used to have both systems, but I ended up selling my Game Gear. I just never liked it. I bought a Lynx back in 1995 and I still have it. Cool homebrew games, cool original games, better build quality, better screen. All just my opinion, of course.

The Game Gear's TV tuner isn't going to work anymore starting next year, unless you plan on doing something with it other than pull TV in off the airwaves.

My recommendation is that you buy a Lynx (get a model 2) and leave the SMS/GG games for emulation.

Chris

Actually, the TV tuner will work even after 2009. Low power stations will remain on the air, so the tuner may be able to pick up some local broadcasts.

I've played both. One good strong reason to get a Game Gear is Shining Force. It's absolutely stellar. Star Wars isn't bad, and you might enjoy either of the Shinobi titles as well.

Why would hardware be so expensive on the Game Gear? The unit itself runs about $15 around here, plus $5 for the parts it will probably need after so many years. Batteries run about $20 for a set that gives 10 to 12 hours per charge. So $50 will put you into a Game Gear easily.

On top of that, you have most of the SMS library at your disposal, too.

gamegears shouldn't be expensive at all, but a lot of them picked up screen or d-pad issues. I'd really go for the gamegear, though. Something about the lynx never really rubbed me right--I think it was the colors. The games are also more numerous and easier to find on gamegear. I'm not a huge fan of either system, but gamegear really has the edge.

If you want to be weird, the godzilla game is REALLY worth importing. Might want to try it out in emulation.

I've searched everywhere and can't find a GG cheaper than 35£, the Tv Tuner is 30£ cheapest. Yes the SMS library is a plus, if not for Phantasy Star.

One question though, is there a homebrew scene for SMS/GG? I heard that if you learn how to program Colecovision games you're apt to do SMS games which in turn is similar to GG. Is it true?

The Gamegear is really the only Sega System I don't like. It just really never clicked with me for some reason. It's library is less than stellar once you start playing it.

I know, but that's what I think of lynx too. Neither are on the 'hot handheld system' list for me. for me the hot handheld list is gameboy pocket/light, turbo express, nomad, gameboy color, neo geo pocket/color, gameboy micro.

I think I actually liked cybiko more than lynx/gamegear. I sure played it for longer...

Edited by Reaperman

Both are great systems but i perfer the GameGear over the Lynx(I just trade off my Lynx and games a short while ago)I just didnt play it much.

Am going to pick up a GG at somepoint(I had one years ago)and a few games once i find a good deal for one. :)

Edited by jboypacman

I prefer the Lynx. If you get the right games, it's a fantastic system. Many of the games are less 'kiddie' in my book than the Gamegear titles. Both are good, and my friend John loves the Gamegear, but I find the games on the Lynx to be superior.

It's definately a 'tastes great - less filling' kinda thing though :)

gamegears shouldn't be expensive at all, but a lot of them picked up screen or d-pad issues. I'd really go for the gamegear, though. Something about the lynx never really rubbed me right--I think it was the colors. The games are also more numerous and easier to find on gamegear. I'm not a huge fan of either system, but gamegear really has the edge.

If you want to be weird, the godzilla game is REALLY worth importing. Might want to try it out in emulation.

I've never seen a screen issue that wasn't caused by physical damage on a Game Gear...wait...I have. The screens have a kind of wave in them when you operate the controls sometimes. I've also never seen a d pad issue with a Game Gear. The most common problems is the sound, and it is easily fixed.