IGNORED

Top 10 *exclusive* A8 games?

BoatofCar

the reason you haven't seen a thread on it is probably because this topic's really tough *l*

offhand I can think of Getaway, which was quite fun, but the others I can think of are all modern...and pal...

I can't think of any old and exclusive titles that really showed off what the hardware could do, and the atari-specific magazine disks are the only place I can think to find these exclusives. Very interesting topic, I'm curious to see where it goes.

Edited by Reaperman

Gauntletak!

Were Alley Cat or Necromancer ever ported to any other system?

I know 2600 and ST versions of Star Raiders were made... how about Star Raiders II, aka The Last Starfighter? (Yes, there was an unreleased "The Last Starfighter" for the 2600, but it's a totally different game, eventually released as Solaris)

Rainbow Walker? There was an arcade version, but the arcade cabinet actually had Atari 8-bit hardware inside...

ROTO?

Does Drop Zone count? AFAIK it never existed on anything but the Atari, but it was a clone of Stargate, which has been ported to lots of platforms.

Yoomp is 8-bit exclusive at the moment. And any other number of homebrews.

Alley Cat was released on several other systems - even IBM got it's crappy CGA version.

Star Raiders 2/Last Starfighter - I think that it is exclusive.

Drop Zone was also done for the C-64.

Were Alley Cat or Necromancer ever ported to any other system?

Yes and yes, there's a PC CGA conversion of Alley Cat and Necromancer is on the C64.

I know 2600 and ST versions of Star Raiders were made... how about Star Raiders II, aka The Last Starfighter?

There's conversions of Star Raiders 2 to the C64, Spectrum and Amstrad CPC all done by Activision.

Rainbow Walker? There was an arcade version, but the arcade cabinet actually had Atari 8-bit hardware inside...

It's on the C64 as well.

Does Drop Zone count? AFAIK it never existed on anything but the Atari, but it was a clone of Stargate, which has been ported to lots of platforms.

There's a C64 version of Dropzone too.

Draconus, also C64, Dropzone, also Game Gear, Spelunker, first on Apple ][

Here ya go:

Pondering about MAX (Change in Heat)

Dimension X (Synapse)

Batty Builders (English Software).....(Actually English Software had many A8-only titles)

Caverns of Mars (Atari)

Gangsters Ville (Lindasoft)

Hawkquest (Red Rat)......(Again, Red Rat a UK company with many A8-only titles)

Final Legacy (Atari)

Powerstar (Pandora Software) graphic text adventure on cartridge

Gold Mine (Spectravideo)

Mirax Force (Tynesoft)

Zone X (Gremlin Graphics)

Plastron (Harlequin Software)

The Tail of Beta Lyrae (Datamost)

Sidewinder (Futureware)

that's enough for now?

Edited by thomasholzer

The problem is that, with very few exceptions, any Atari games that did well ended up getting ported. For the love of god, there was even an NES version of Ballblazer. This is like going to a movie forum and starting a "Top 10 movies that were never released on home video" thread. In both cases you're pretty much limited to weird obscure stuff.

I imagine the APX catalog is pretty much the only significant Atari-exclusive publisher you'll find. All the other big players of that period were comitted to the Atari/C64/Apple "platform". So that leaves us with Eastern Front, Getaway!, Dandy, Caverns of Mars, etc.

• Like 1

I imagine the APX catalog is pretty much the only significant Atari-exclusive publisher you'll find. All the other big players of that period were comitted to the Atari/C64/Apple "platform". So that leaves us with Eastern Front, Getaway!, Dandy, Caverns of Mars, etc.

I started looking at apx because of getaway, but some of those were even ported. like dandy which actually looks like it made it to a few other platforms later in life

Edited by Reaperman

Spelunker, first on Apple ][

Atari first.

Caverns of Mars (Atari)

Made it to the 2600 not too long ago...

>>>>>Doesn't count

Final Legacy (Atari)

ST as well.

>>>>>Moby says A8 only

Sidewinder (Futureware)

I believe this one's also on the ST.

>>>>>different Sidewinder (top down view game, A8 is a side scroller)

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Edited by thomasholzer

how about K-razy shootout and Space Dungeon? Both were 8bit/5200 only games. Was Zybex an 8bitr only game?

K-razy Shootout is a Berzerk knockoff, and Berzerk has been ported to everything. Not sure whether we're counting clones, knockoffs, unlicensed ports or not.

Space Dungeon was an arcade game first... I dunno about Zybex.

If you want to check an A8 exclusive game ;-) : http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3810

I guess, commercially we don't gather 10 games that are "exclusive A8".

How about changing it to "original" Game & Play, like Boulder Dash. 100s of remakes are done even today. But non of the games is as good as the original.

Same belongs to Rescue on Fractalus, The Eidolon, Drop Zone, The Last Starfighter, Bandits...