IGNORED

Misfit Mame

rxd

I'm still around. Current author of MisfitMAME, eh? I suppose you could help me with some coding. I'm trying to code a version of MisfitMAME for Mac OS X. Graphic hacks aren't a problem, it's just I ran into some problems with trying to make the many of the hi score hacks and the some of the Pac-Man hacks work with an older version of MacMAME.

Edited by Bakasama

Why are you using MacMame? That's rather dated... why don't use start with SDLMAME instead?

http://www.parodius.com/~roni/sdlmame/

That's assuming the OS is the same... I know stuff-all about Macs.

What version is your MacMame? And what problems are you having?

The reason is just I just like the interface MacMAME a lot better than the SDLMAME. I NEVER understood how interface on that one works. I'm more of a visual person. I got lost trying compile SDLMAME. The other reason is for some odd reason, I can't compile a version of MAME OS X beyond 115 or so.

The SRC folder for MAMEs of the same version number and for different OSes are identical. Adding hacked games is all done in the SRC folder All the stuff I do is just changing the drivers files in the driver folder and driver.c. I never touch the Mac only part of MacMAME code unless I want to change the icon.

The version I'm using is 103u2 the last version of MacMAME. I've mainly problems with hacked games that need specialized hardware to word properly. Those are mostly adding the NVRAM to make the high score save hacks work properly. Making Mulipac and SuperABC work is another problem I've been having. I made Mulipac work on an earlier version MacMAME but I'm having trouble trying to adapt the code to 103u2.

I have MAME 0.103, which should be close enough.

For the nvram games, I assume you've already added the ROM list and the GAME macro.

Now we need to modify both the MACHINE_START and the ADDRESS_MAP_START. So, take a copy of each and give them the name of the new game. Make sure the GAME macro points at the new MACHINE_START.

In the MACHINE_START, point the address map to the new one. Also, add some NVRAM, using syntax like this: MDRV_NVRAM_HANDLER(generic_0fill).

Lastly, in the ADDRESS_MAP_START, define which area of memory is to be backed up. The syntax looks the same as in my code, just copy/paste.

Compile.

• 2 months later...

It just occurred to me that maybe I should show the code that's been giving some problems. D'oh!

static ADDRESS_MAP_START( btimehs_readmem, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 8 )
AM_RANGE(0x0000, 0x07ff) AM_READ(MRA8_RAM)
AM_RANGE(0x1000, 0x17ff) AM_READ(MRA8_RAM)
AM_RANGE(0x1800, 0x1bff) AM_READ(btime_mirrorvideoram_r)
AM_RANGE(0x1c00, 0x1fff) AM_READ(btime_mirrorcolorram_r)
AM_RANGE(0x4000, 0x4000) AM_READ(input_port_0_r)     /* IN0 */
AM_RANGE(0x4001, 0x4001) AM_READ(input_port_1_r)     /* IN1 */
AM_RANGE(0x4002, 0x4002) AM_READ(input_port_2_r)     /* coin */
AM_RANGE(0x4003, 0x4003) AM_READ(input_port_3_r)     /* DSW1 */
AM_RANGE(0x4004, 0x4004) AM_READ(input_port_4_r)     /* DSW2 */
AM_RANGE(0xb000, 0xffff) AM_READ(MRA8_ROM)
ADDRESS_MAP_END

static ADDRESS_MAP_START( btimehs_writemem, ADDRESS_SPACE_PROGRAM, 8 )
AM_RANGE(0x0000, 0xffff) AM_WRITE(btime_w)	    /* override the following entries to */
												/* support ROM decryption */
AM_RANGE(0x0000, 0x03ff) AM_RAM
AM_RANGE(0x0400, 0x07ff) AM_BASE(&generic_nvram) AM_SIZE(&generic_nvram_size)
AM_RANGE(0x0c00, 0x0c0f) AM_WRITE(btime_paletteram_w) AM_BASE(&paletteram)
AM_RANGE(0x1000, 0x13ff) AM_WRITE(videoram_w) AM_BASE(&videoram) AM_SIZE(&videoram_size)
AM_RANGE(0x1400, 0x17ff) AM_WRITE(colorram_w) AM_BASE(&colorram)
AM_RANGE(0x1800, 0x1bff) AM_WRITE(btime_mirrorvideoram_w)
AM_RANGE(0x1c00, 0x1fff) AM_WRITE(btime_mirrorcolorram_w)
AM_RANGE(0x4000, 0x4000) AM_WRITE(MWA8_NOP)
AM_RANGE(0x4002, 0x4002) AM_WRITE(btime_video_control_w)
AM_RANGE(0x4003, 0x4003) AM_WRITE(sound_command_w)
AM_RANGE(0x4004, 0x4004) AM_WRITE(bnj_scroll1_w)
ADDRESS_MAP_END

static MACHINE_DRIVER_START( btimehs )

/* basic machine hardware */
MDRV_IMPORT_FROM(btime)
MDRV_CPU_PROGRAM_MAP(btimehs_readmem,btimehs_writemem)
MDRV_NVRAM_HANDLER(generic_0fill)
MACHINE_DRIVER_END

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a list of games compatible with MisfitMAME? It'd really be helpful as a reference. I'm trying to find a really elaborate Pac-Man hack I played in a laundromat back in 2001 called Ultimate Pac-Man. It really WAS Ultimate, by the way... it even featured computer rendered artwork, and on 8-bit hardware, no less!

Bakasama, you can get all misfitmame roms (one at a time) at retroroms.net (you have to sign up).

Or, if you want to torrent the lot, visit the Pleasuredome.

As for your non-saving of high scores in Burger Time, did you read the misfitmame faq, particularly question 12 ?

Edited by Robbbert

Bakasama, you can get all misfitmame roms (one at a time) at retroroms.net (you have to sign up).

Or, if you want to torrent the lot, visit the Pleasuredome.

As for your non-saving of high scores in Burger Time, did you read the misfitmame faq, particularly question 12 ?

Thanks for retroroms.net link. It really does have what I'm looking for and then some.

About, Burger Time high score hack.... F(**% A, I ruined maybe a working code in an attempt to make the NVRAM "work". At least that explains alot.

Anyway, Juno First, Crazy Kong, and the Gyruss high score hacks don't seem to work. Most of the the other high score seem to work but for some games I can't get a score high enough to see if the save feature works.

Edited by Bakasama

Hmm, since this thread is asking for some ROMs. Would anyone happen to know where to defendr2.zip. I've tried looking for that one and I keep getting the NES version.

I'd go with the retroroms site he mentioned, I've looked through cd and dvd and etc..... and I can't find it, nor any of my mame roms, god I hope I haven't lost it, or my wife disposed of them like my 7800 and stuff :) cause it'd suck having to re-download that collection, esp since I'm stuck with dial-up.

[i've got that ROM from retroroms. I've played Defender II a little bit and it really is a clone of Stargate, like I thought it was. Thanks for trying. I do have a large ZIP file with alot of MAME+ games but most of those are IPS files. I remember what it was like with dial-up, I couldn't get Neo Geo games just because they were too big for dial up.