IGNORED

Handhelds, still second class citizens?

Miqorz

Why aren't there DS and PSP subforums? They're the only modern consoles I currently own and I enjoy them far more than the current generation of full blown consoles.. :ponder:

Don't you see them?

oh yeah, I forgot that they were closed to second class citizens ;) :ponder:

To tell the truth, I'm wondering when the now current gen systems will be reintegrated into the main forum, rather than thinking about new split outs.

I agree. I don't care for overly split forums. I don't think that those sub-forums get enough traffic to warrant them being separated.

Chris

Whenever I have anything relevant to post about PS2 games through PS3 era stuff, I just post in the main forum. I hate going through sub-forums. That's why I like the basic classic gaming forum and modern gaming forum.

And I don't think the DS and PSP are second-class. They kick just as much ass as anything else. :D

I don't think they need subforums since I don't think the other next gen consoles need either.

Portable consoles try to offer original games and portable versions of console or arcade games. Some rivalize with home consoles like PSP and Atari Lynx but generally stay a generation behind like the PSP now, Game Boy and Game Gear, or even more generations like the GBC, GBA, NGP/C, Wonderswan, etc.

The advantage of consoles like the PSP is that unlike the other portable consoles, it doesn't always get crippled ports of superior games and can compete with home consoles in terms of game quality (the others did too, but ports were generally inferior).

With the PSP, you get unique games and ports of PS2/PS3 games and with NDS you get unique games and ports of N64/Wii games, also handhelds are getting Tv-Out connections like the PSP 2000.

I've considered going handheld full time as decent ports of home consoles eventually appear a generation later (SM64DS, Resident Evil, the GBA SNES ports). Maybe the Wii will be an exception, but I wouldn't be suprised if a Super Mario Galaxy appears in a NDS/GB 2.

And don't forget, portable consoles generally have good RPG's and arcade games.

Edited by Atari_kid

I think there should at least be a "handheld" forum. I play my handhelds quiet a bit more than the consoles too, honestly (though the 360's got an AWESOME run of games so far)

To tell the truth, I'm wondering when the now current gen systems will be reintegrated into the main forum, rather than thinking about new split outs.

I agree. I don't care for overly split forums. I don't think that those sub-forums get enough traffic to warrant them being separated.

Chris

Actually, while traffic is down, there is a good reason for split forums. Remember back to when they were all the same forum (about two years ago) And every 2 out of 3 (I may be being kind here) topics was "I hate this system and this system is the shizzy" or "Your stupid if you like anything other than...blah, blah, blah"

Yeah, low traffic, but I think a lot of the low traffic is due ot the low ammounts of cross contamination for each system with each other system.

The DS could have its own forum. The PSP has a forum already, its the garbage can. :ponder:

Ooh, ouch. I'm no fan of Sony but even I wouldn't have gone there...

The PSP is good for what it is, but it's telling that I haven't been playing mine much lately.

Yeah, should we start going down the list of what the PSP can do and what the DS can't? If the PSP had the kiddie appeal of the DS, I would guess that the sales would be a lot closer, because the hardware and games rip the DS a new one. God of War was fricking awesome, though it was pretty short and easy on normal, it still amazes me that this is on a handheld, what do you get with the DS?? Yu-gi-oh number 54, Random puzzler 34, the 500 Petz games, the 500 tv rip off, movie rip off games of teen girl shows? Please. When the DS has games like Socom, Untold Legends, GOW, GTA, FFVII , maybe I will be interested in my DS, but as it is now, it just sits on my shelf collecting dust.

I like SHOPPING there, but if I were to have to work there.. I'd kill someone. :ponder:

*shrug*

I picked up Ultimate Ghost'N Goblins at K-Mart for $9 tonight.. god I love that place.

Maybe it's time to shift your career from the black lights of Spencer to the blue lights of K-Mart...

The DS could have its own forum. The PSP has a forum already, its the garbage can. :ponder:

I came to Atariage.com after searching for info about atari homebrews, becaus I was so psyched that my PSP allows me to play every format of Atari games I had when I was a kid using emulators, including games people here have made.

I had a DS. It reminded me of a Speak n Spell with games that featured mostly Pokemon characters and other boring Japanese Anime crap. I sold it.

The PSP is good for what it is, but it's telling that I haven't been playing mine much lately.

Yeah, should we start going down the list of what the PSP can do and what the DS can't? If the PSP had the kiddie appeal of the DS, I would guess that the sales would be a lot closer, because the hardware and games rip the DS a new one. God of War was fricking awesome, though it was pretty short and easy on normal, it still amazes me that this is on a handheld, what do you get with the DS?? Yu-gi-oh number 54, Random puzzler 34, the 500 Petz games, the 500 tv rip off, movie rip off games of teen girl shows? Please. When the DS has games like Socom, Untold Legends, GOW, GTA, FFVII , maybe I will be interested in my DS, but as it is now, it just sits on my shelf collecting dust.

Now, now. I like the PSP and agree that all those games you mentioned up there are indeed excellent and worth every penny. And the PSP is a great system with a halfway decent library and it seems to be getting better all the time, but let's be fair here. Remember that the DS has some great titles of its own! Let's review:

1. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  2. Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  3. Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
  4. Animal Crossing: Wild Wild World
  5. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
  6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  7. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  8. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
  9. Contra 4
  10. Dementium: The Ward
  11. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
  12. Drawn to Life
  13. Final Fantasy III
  14. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
  15. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
  16. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  17. Kirby: Squeak Squad
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  19. Lunar Knights
  20. Magnetica
  21. Mario Kart DS
  22. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
  23. Meteos
  24. Metroid Prime: Hunters
  25. Metroid Prime Pinball
  26. Nanostray
  27. Nanostray 2
  28. The New Super Mario Bros.
  29. Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
  30. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  31. Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
  32. Pokémon: Diamond/Pearl
  33. Pokémon: Mystery Dungeon
  34. Super Mario 64 DS
  35. Tetris DS
  36. Trace Memory
  37. Trauma Center

... and many many more. All of these got high-scoring reviews for the DS, and are excellent titles (provided you don't absolutely hate the genre). Surely there's something in the list that you like. You have to remember though that, like the Wii, the DS isn't precisely marketed toward one group, but many. Hence the glut of the other types of games that you mention. While it's true that not every game is a God of War or Crisis Core or GTA, there are some good ones available if you'll dig around and not write the machine off as "kiddie" because a few games exist for kids.

After all, kids gotta have something to play too, right? We were all kids once, too, ya know. :)

Edited by rockman_x_2002

I have Portrait of Ruin, good game, I wouldn't call it great, it was very easy and short, beat it and the extra games with the twin characters in no time at all.

Mario 64 was the first game I got for the DS, and though it got high reviews, I did not like the game at all, was not impressed.

Mario kart, Yes good game, for a while, then it's boring and repetative, with bare bone online play, this is hardly a great game.

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time: I will never forgive my wife for buying me this game. It's terrible. Talk about your kiddie games, damn. I played it for a while, then just stopped, I couldn't take it anymore.

Final Fantasy III: this is a very good game, up until the end. But it does belong in the top of DS titles to have.

Nanostray: a bare bone shooter, this does not belong on the list. Yes it has good graphics, it has solid gameplay, but nothing else. It's a short game with absolutely no back drop, no story, no nothing to tell you why you are going around shooting things. The leaderboard thing was fun at first and the challenges hardly keep the reply value.

Those are what I own as far as games. The other thing you have to keep in mind and I've said it again and again, is that it is very hard for me to FIND those games on the list. You can remove any party game, puzzle game, pokemon game, Phoenix wright type game, elite beat agent type game from the list as those games are not for me. But the others I would agree would be great...IF YOU COULD FIND THEM IN MY AREA. All the stores are saturated with the type of games I've listed.

Come on, guys, not another DS vs PSP thread. Do we really need to see more lists of all the games on each system? I thought StanJr's comment was just plain funny, and I like the PSP. No need to get defensive about it and start bashing the DS.

FWIW, I like the separate Wii,360,PS3 forums. Too much clutter otherwise, and it helps reduce these kinds of "your system sucks" posts. I'm not sure if there would be enough posts to warrant separate DS/PSP forums, but I don't really know for sure.

Don’t knock the DS! I enjoy playing GTA: Liberty City Stories on my DS. It’s like they crammed the entire original game in there. And God of War too! Amazing. I also enjoy the DS library of more “adult” fare. It’s like Nintendo sees that their library doesn’t need to appear solely to kids.

I’ve also been ripping a lot of DVDs and placing them on my DS too. Nothing like watching Tron, Joysticks, and my collection of Automan episodes on a handheld device. When I travel, I love the DS ability to act as an MP3 player too.

Yup, the DS is certainly versatile.

/sarcasm

//adding fuel to the DS/PSP fire

;)

i'm done with the thread as everybody knows, I'm a huge PSP fanboy. I will end my participation in this thread on this note. What the f*** is wrong with people?? The system is INFINITELY better than the DS in every aspect of gaming, functionality, and over all bells and whistles. And hell, with Nintendo in general lately, the next handheld they release probably won't even match the capability of the PSP.

I love both the handhelds...........they go together perfectly, like peanut butter and jelly.

Both of them have dozens of excellent, solid titles to choose from. I hate it when fanboys diss either handheld because both are excellent, IMO.

Does it really make someone a "fanboy" if they at one point owned both systems, and after using both for quite some time, came to the conclusion that they simply liked one much better than the other? I don't think so.

What I find absolutely retarded is that people aren't allowed to like anything someone else dislikes, especially if it's something less than super-popular (or in the case of this forum, something made by "Evil Sony"), and everyone is expected to be agreeable, super-polite, and never disagree with anyone.

Cut the crap. Some people like one thing, others don't. It's really not a big deal. It's just video games. It's nothing to get upset over.

I like the PSP, mostly because of the homebrew/emulator ability. It also has some great games of it's own, although there are a lot of clunkers too. The DS isn't capable of 1/10th of the things the PSP can do. It relies solely on it's own game library, which is pretty limited, and mostly geared towards younger kids.

I just don't really understand why people get so emotional about this stuff. Don't you guys like kidding around with your friends, and making fun of each other in a friendly way? Or does everyone here take everything so deadly serious, and fly off the handle and get all upset over everything?

Has it ever occured to you that some people don't like Socom, or Untold Legends, or yes, even Grand Theft Auto? The great thing about the Nintendo DS is that it distances itself from all those industry fads and provides players with a unique gaming experience.

Has it ever occured to you that some people don't like Socom, or Untold Legends, or yes, even Grand Theft Auto? The great thing about the Nintendo DS is that it distances itself from all those industry fads and provides players with a unique gaming experience.

Heck, I'm still playing Zoo Keeper on my DS more than my PSP overall. That was only rivaled by a Lumines bender for a week or so. Both platforms have matured nicely, but it depends what you want to do with them. For reasons I cannot describe well, the DS tends to win out with my attention overall. I'm still especially nervous about taking my PSP anywhere for fear of breakage. I like Untold Legends, it's a decent Diablo-clone / RPG-lite, but part of me thinks that's such a dumb title. I mean, if the legend was untold that would imply that it wasn't very interesting or at least very un-legend-like. :D Good game, not-so-good name.

Socom, and GTA can be summed up in my world with ... :sleep: I liked Destroy All Humans much better overall.

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to logging some time playing Dragon Warrior Monsters : Joker . The character on the cover looks like a Dragonball Z reject, but I'll forgive it for now.

Hex.

[ Where 'IM' means industrial temp rating... ]