IGNORED

World of Warcraft Announced for Atari 2600

Albert

Yeah... the trailer was funny. 192i resolution... etc etc. Funny stuff

Technically that should have been 192p.

Actually it is 192i. They're using VDEL.

People keep going on about the graphics, but the most impressive feature in this game has got to be the bankswitching. Word on the street is this will be packaged in a 512 megabyte ROM cartridge, consisting of 131072 4k banks! Surely this will be the greatest game for the Atari 2600 since Blazemonger spontaneously ported itself in 1993!

If they're generating an interlaced image then it would be 384i.

I like it mchenry.

I found this though:

http://www.geekfridge.com/images/MoltenCoreCartridge2600.jpg

I wish they would get it straight. Is this black label or red label game? The world needs to know.

-Billy

Edited by NorbytheRobot

If they're generating an interlaced image then it would be 384i.

I suppose some games like DarkMage might be described as 192i. Not quite accurate, but from a functional perspective pretty close (half the scan lines of each character get shown each frame, resulting in essentially the same appearance as would be achieved with a true 192i scan).

Of course, if one is being technical, I would think that non-interlaced NTSC-style video would be referred to as 240P rather than 192P. While the game only uses the middle 192 scan lines, the signalling standard allows up to 240 scan lines to contain picture data (the vast majority of television sets will crop off the top and bottom, so most users won't be able to see anything that's displayed there).

From what I've heard, the game uses addresses $FFF6 through $FFF8 as a 24-bit control register. Reads to these addresses will store a 17-bit vector that points to the destination bank. (The upper 7 bits of address $FFF8 are unused.) A read to address $FFF9 executes the bank switch to the bank specified by the 17-bit vector. Once you're in the destination bank, the internal destination address is pulled off the stack, and code execution continues normally. Pretty crazy stuff. Hopefully Stella 2.6 will add support for this methodology, so we can try Molten Core in an emulator! :)

LOL I did not know that! So complex for a game that looks so umm...(what is the technical term?) crappy.

From what I've heard, the game uses addresses $FFF6 through $FFF8 as a 24-bit control register. Reads to these addresses will store a 17-bit vector that points to the destination bank. (The upper 7 bits of address $FFF8 are unused.) A read to address $FFF9 executes the bank switch to the bank specified by the 17-bit vector. Once you're in the destination bank, the internal destination address is pulled off the stack, and code execution continues normally. Pretty crazy stuff. Hopefully Stella 2.6 will add support for this methodology, so we can try Molten Core in an emulator! :)

LOL I did not know that! So complex for a game that looks so umm...(what is the technical term?) crappy.

Uh-oh. You just failed your Detect Sarcasm throw. Take 2d6 Looking Ridiculous damage.

Hey guys!

Do yout hink it`s an April Fool or the truth???

Second question: Has this game network capabilities (LAN-connector etc.)?

Would be funny to play something like this especially if you play the orginal world of warcraft :)

^

greets BOBKOP

Second question: Has this game network capabilities (LAN-connector etc.)?

Someone should just volunteer to write Molten Core for Chimera. Then it really could be a 512MB game with network support, mouse and keyboard, etc...

Edited by mos6507

meh.....seems to be making fun of our beloved system...whatever....

in a way i can 100% agree with this statement

but in another way if a big company like Blizzard was to even go through with it as a small production it would bring a lot of more eyes to the Atari Scene

wouldn't you agree? I wouldn't understand how the system would be able to push this much! BUT i have a small idea so heres my two cent rant

There would be an additional cart slot which would upgrade its capabilities, making it online, Having tad more space to run off of etc, sort of like the 32X idea with the sega genises, And on top of that It would also have RCA jacks so we don't need to reach behind newer TVs for the people who picked up an Atari recently to get this game :D

Shame it isn't real to be honest I WOULD BUY A COPY for up to 70 bucks no joke, if it were real. BUT it does maybe show that some people in blizzard know about our community, :P i bet they did.

Great gag! Looked like a playable game and all, or at least a fun concept. Glad they took a nod to the 2600.

This reminds me of when 7th Guess came out and my friend and I joked about making a 2600 version. :D Can you imagine how completely lame a 2600 version would be?

And I would buy this game from Blizzard if they made it.

• 1 month later...