IGNORED

Compatible Syquest drives?

Is there a list of compatible SyQuest drives for the Atari ST? I've heard certain SyQuest drives are compatible but I am not sure which ones.

I don't know of any list but I used to have an Ezflyer 230mb Syquest drive and the lower capacity drives all worked as well (one Syquest drive was released as an Atari badged product). They were appalling though but a cheap way of getting extra storage at the time. When my Ezflyer died it zapped my Falcon at the same time.. :-(

Is there a list of compatible SyQuest drives for the Atari ST? I've heard certain SyQuest drives are compatible but I am not sure which ones.

I don't know of any list but I used to have an Ezflyer 230mb Syquest drive and the lower capacity drives all worked as well (one Syquest drive was released as an Atari badged product). They were appalling though but a cheap way of getting extra storage at the time. When my Ezflyer died it zapped my Falcon at the same time.. :-(

I would imagine the lower capacity drives require software of some kind and a special cable?

I'm really sorry to hear about your Falcon --maybe these drives aren't that great after all. :(

I've used a few SyQuest models, just stick to the ones with SCSI ports. Simply put, when a cart is inserted, it acts like a normal SCSI drive. If a cart is larger than the capacity that your system can handle, just partition it into several smaller partitions.

Hot swapping the carts depends on your hard disk driver mostly.

Edited by lp060

You can't boot off these drives as your only hard drive btw.

Not true. It's the Zip drive that you can't boot off of as your only drive (unless you rig up a power supply to the ACSI/SCSI host adapter and use a hard disk driver that supported booting off SCSI ID 5)

Syquest drives were high quality drives that followed SCSI standards which worked on all known SCSI systems. Iomega Zip drives were cheap quality drives that didn't follow all SCSI standards which caused problems like the above.

Not true. It's the Zip drive that you can't boot off of as your only drive (unless you rig up a power supply to the ACSI/SCSI host adapter and use a hard disk driver that supported booting off SCSI ID 5)

Syquest drives were high quality drives that followed SCSI standards which worked on all known SCSI systems. Iomega Zip drives were cheap quality drives that didn't follow all SCSI standards which caused problems like the above.

This is good to hear! I found a SCSI SyQuest 44mb drive for dirt cheap ($20) so all I need is a cable and case. I hate to ask such a noobish question but will I need to find software or will it work independently?

Edited by retrogeek

This is good to hear! I found a SCSI SyQuest 44mb drive for dirt cheap ($20) so all I need is a cable and case. I hate to ask such a noobish question but will I need to find software or will it work independently?

You will need a SCSI host adaptor and Software yes. The software is not built into the 192k TOS. ICD Tools 6.22 is the way to go, or if you want buy HD Driver 8.x (the best but costs double the cost of your Syquest drive)

I can boot off my Syquest 105 and Zip 100 drives no problem...

Edited by tjlazer

I'll second that, the Syquest units were top shelf. The Zip and the later Jaz while ubiquitous and very handy were built cheaply. The Jaz especially. I must have returned over 50K $ in bad drives and 1GB carts back in the day. The carts would go bad if you looked at them funny.

You will need a SCSI host adaptor and Software yes. The software is not built into the 192k TOS. ICD Tools 6.22 is the way to go, or if you want buy HD Driver 8.x (the best but costs double the cost of your Syquest drive)

Thank you for the information! I'll begin searching for the SCSI host adapter and the software; wish me luck! :)

Thank you for the information! I'll begin searching for the SCSI host adapter and the software; wish me luck! :)

Oh BTW if your using it on an ST as your 'main' drive with the Link cable you may have to carry out several resets of the computer to get the ST to recognise the Syquest, or at least you had to with my Ezflyer, it was a right pain! (though an earlier model might work a bit better) I think any of the hard drive software worked, I settled on good old fashioned AHDI when I used mine but as has been said ICD is better overall.

Don't worry about the Falcon I got it fixed! Cost me an arm and a leg though..

I'll second that, the Syquest units were top shelf. The Zip and the later Jaz while ubiquitous and very handy were built cheaply. The Jaz especially. I must have returned over 50K $ in bad drives and 1GB carts back in the day. The carts would go bad if you looked at them funny.

I second that, nothing but problems with the JAZ drives. Zip have not been too bad, but there was the infamous 'Click of Death' LOL

I second that, nothing but problems with the JAZ drives. Zip have not been too bad, but there was the infamous 'Click of Death' LOL

That 'click of death' happened to my Zip drive. Replaced it with a SyQuest 105 and never had another issue. :)