IGNORED

Light Gun Issues

colecoboy84

OK, I recently got an XE Light Gun for use with my 7800. I had heard that it was compatible with the 7800 but not too reliable.

Well, here's what happened. I plugged it into the console, pointed it at the screen, and suddenly the TV was overcome with static interference and the red light on the console started to flicker. I panicked thinking that I'd just ruined my 7800 and quickly shut it off.

Turned the system back on and it was fine, but every time I pointed the stupid gun at the screen the same thing would happen and I'd have to shut everything off. I tried it on two different TVs with two games (Crossbow and Meltdown) and the same thing happened over and over.

Then it got even weirder. At one point the gun's cord got wrapped around its handle, and then suddenly I was able to point it at the screen without static or the console going crazy. I got all excited thinking I was finally in the clear but whenever I shot the screen would flicker but nothing would happen - i.e., nothing was hit.

Eventually I gave up in disgust and came up with four possible explanations.

1 - The gun is fine but is somehow incompatible with my system (makes no sense)

2 - My system is on the fritz (unlikely since it works perfectly without the gun)

3 - There are some freaky electromagnetic waves going through my house (again unlikely since there are no other manifestations of this)

which leaves me with ...

4 - The gun is messed up

Anybody else ever run into this particular problem? Any suggestions? I've seen some good reviews for the Best Light Gun but I'm afraid to get one unless I'm convinced that the problems I've experienced are caused only by a faulty gun and have nothing to do with my system.

OK, I recently got an XE Light Gun for use with my 7800. I had heard that it was compatible with the 7800 but not too reliable.

Well, here's what happened. I plugged it into the console, pointed it at the screen, and suddenly the TV was overcome with static interference and the red light on the console started to flicker. I panicked thinking that I'd just ruined my 7800 and quickly shut it off.

Turned the system back on and it was fine, but every time I pointed the stupid gun at the screen the same thing would happen and I'd have to shut everything off. I tried it on two different TVs with two games (Crossbow and Meltdown) and the same thing happened over and over.

Then it got even weirder. At one point the gun's cord got wrapped around its handle, and then suddenly I was able to point it at the screen without static or the console going crazy. I got all excited thinking I was finally in the clear but whenever I shot the screen would flicker but nothing would happen - i.e., nothing was hit.

2 - My system is on the fritz (unlikely since it works perfectly without the gun)

3 - There are some freaky electromagnetic waves going through my house (again unlikely since there are no other manifestations of this)

which leaves me with ...

4 - The gun is messed up

Anybody else ever run into this particular problem? Any suggestions? I've seen some good reviews for the Best Light Gun but I'm afraid to get one unless I'm convinced that the problems I've experienced are caused only by a faulty gun and have nothing to do with my system.

I would say number 4 is the most likely. However it should be noted that light guns for classic systems do not work on modern TVs. You need to make sure you are using a standard def CRT TV.

Mitch

which leaves me with ...

4 - The gun is messed up

I would say number 4 is the most likely. However it should be noted that light guns for classic systems do not work on modern TVs. You need to make sure you are using a standard def CRT TV.

Mitch

Maybe the cord is shorted internally. I'm no expert but you said the behavior of the gun changed when the cord was wrapped around the handle.