IGNORED

Local attached storage

This has been a problem for me since I discovered the ST computer. None of my floppy drives work, and they're too small anyway. I have a SatanDisk but don't really want to pay for HDDriver after paying so much for the SatanDisk itself. A harddrive would be good, but again software is the problem. The one thing I can think of (besides ghostlink and having a second whole computer there next to it) is to have a small single board computer act as a host for a media card that can attach (literally, as if a case extension) to the ST, and then ghostlink would be feasible for me.

It just seems wrong that so much time has passed and no internal drives have been developed for this great machine. Please correct me if I'm wrong, there. I have no knowledge of being able to open my case, attach a board somehow and implant a small hdd in there, which would be a great solution.

I have successfully term'd in to a Xenix box, and that would be great for a server/client setup, but then what to do with large programs after they transfer over?

Are there any solutions as far as this? I mean, not really expensive solutions. harddrives for these things are outrageous, and impractical (space issues).

Would an internally connected zip drive work as a floppy drive replacement? They use the same cable as a fdd... right?

Nathan

Well, an internal hard drive board would be much more expensive and hard (it would require quite a bit of soldering). There are such solutions. Using ghostlink also is not feasable for anything other than transferring files. Ghostlink doesn't allow executing programs remotely. Basically the cheapest solution is HDDriver and Satandisk. It's unfortunate that SD isn't AHDI compatible, which I believe should have been the case. Last but not least, there is an external cartridge port solution.

And zip drives won't work as you plan sorry. You will need a scsi zip setup...

How about something like a syquest drive? I know some people that still use them, and they're quite reliable. Now, if you plan to have some hundreds of megabytes stored into them, then yes the 44mb disks can be a bit limiting.

A SCSI Jaz drive with 1Gb carts would be a good solution too. Or even an old ZIP drive. All these make MUCH less noise than old SCSI disks.

A SCSI Jaz drive with 1Gb carts would be a good solution too. Or even an old ZIP drive. All these make MUCH less noise than old SCSI disks.

Ok... I am new to the ST scene, so pardon my ignorance. But can you actually use a SCSI Zip drive with a ST? I have a 1040 STE complete with an "ICD The Link" DMA to SCSI adapter and SCSI hard drive. I assumed that the hard drive was the only thing you could hook up to it.

Can you hook up a SCSI Zip Drive? How about a SCSI CD-Rom? If so am I limited to certain models or speeds? Any info would be appriciated.

You can certainly use CD-Roms, Syquest drives or even DVDs and CD-RWs on the Atari ST via appropriate Scsi controllers.

The Link should do the trick but I'm not too certain about it's actual limits.

Syquests will be fine, but don't expect them to work as first boot device.

Another thing about getting hddriver to work is that you need a floppy drive. Of the four machines I have, no floppies work on them. The whole reason I got the satandisk was to eliminate floppies. I was thrilled when the idea came up, thinking 'after all these years, no more floppies!' ah well.

My first post was a rant, sorry about that. I wonder if jookie (the satandisk guy) would be willing to make roms with a driver for it onboard. I have one floppy drive, an external SF314 that I haven't tried yet. I got it right after the initial fed-up happened. I'll set things up in the next few days and see what I can get done. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Nathan

Afaik Jookie does not want to do anything about the project.

He released the sources but apparently does not want to be inside anything else.

Theoretically you could have any other SatanDisk owner installing you a boot system onto an SD card for your SatanDisk.