IGNORED

RETRO VS. MODERN

Do you choose old over new, retro insted of modern, why or why not!  

60 members have voted

1. 1. RETRO VS. MODERN

• any retro system up to TG 16
    • or any modern console up to ps3

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

When it comes to video games, my interests cover the entire spectrum, from the absolute oldest to the absolute newest, though I will admit the oldest console I have at the moment is the Atari 2600, which was a recent purchase, and my newest console is a Gamecube, which I've had for years now. Though I've educated myself on the broad range of consoles and their games thanks to websites such as AtariAge, the Video Game Museum, Wikipedia, GameFAQs, and numerous others who's names are skipping my mind at the moment. (I visit those four the most often when I want to research video game stuff.)

My interests aren't limited to home conoles either. I have an interest in PC gaming, both old DOS stuff and newer Windows stuff, I have an interest in pinball, though haven't played a regular pinball machine in over a decade since they're so hard to come across where I am, arcades also interest me, as do virtual reality simulators such as the VWE Battletech Tesla Pods.

However, the choice of votes seems fairly limiting to me, so I chose not to. Instead, I'll let my words be my vote. ;)

To me discussing it is pretty much a waste of time, because all "retro" games were once MODERN games.. and that's how I remember them. Coming from the 1977 Star Wars generation, video games enthralled me because they were all about the cutting edge electronic technology. That's what I dug about them, they were MODERN tech.:P

The difference with me is I don't abandon the games I like when they finally become outdated. This pic from a magazine previewing the soon-to-be-released Colecovision blew my mind back in the day not because it was comforting and retro.. but because it was it had such amazingly good graphics I hadn't seen before on a home system.. it was NEW.

post-31-1207531870_thumb.jpg

Videogames are about the new. So I go for the new. But I stick by the old :)

Edited by NE146

When it comes to video games, my interests cover the entire spectrum, from the absolute oldest to the absolute newest, though I will admit the oldest console I have at the moment is the Atari 2600, which was a recent purchase, and my newest console is a Gamecube, which I've had for years now. Though I've educated myself on the broad range of consoles and their games thanks to websites such as AtariAge, the Video Game Museum, Wikipedia, GameFAQs, and numerous others who's names are skipping my mind at the moment. (I visit those four the most often when I want to research video game stuff.)

My interests aren't limited to home conoles either. I have an interest in PC gaming, both old DOS stuff and newer Windows stuff, I have an interest in pinball, though haven't played a regular pinball machine in over a decade since they're so hard to come across where I am, arcades also interest me, as do virtual reality simulators such as the VWE Battletech Tesla Pods.

However, the choice of votes seems fairly limiting to me, so I chose not to. Instead, I'll let my words be my vote. ;)

Retro all the way! I do have a wii and ps2 however I play retrogames on those as well. The newer more complex games just dont cut it for me. Give me a classic shooter anytime. Galaxian, gorf not doom etc.

I'm split on this. I enjoy many early rpg's, adventure, platform games... I also can't deny the shooters of today are great too and the sports titles hook me easy. If it is a one or the other I go retro. Retro is gaming, can't run if you don't walk. Moreso, the games have simplicity, yet skill is needed. Todays games all to often depend on cut scenes and graphics whereas games of old... lets face it... many were none too pretty but they play sweet.

My thoughts on modern gaming. The graphics are great the story lines are more detailed but what it offers it lacks so much the game play for the most part to me anyways is boring I cant get into the games Im spending more time like In grand theft auto san andreas trying to peddle the bike or aim a gun or in some other games trying to walk trying to remember which button to hold down so an action can be preformed. I know I am a old fart and to the younger generation this isnt a problem but 6 buttons or less and some okay graphics (good for 20 years ago) and im happy as can be I like to be able to pick up a game play for an hour have fun and put it down rinse and repeat. So classic gaming all the way. Yeah it wasnt as pretty and you have big bulky cartridges but it was alot more fun at least to me it is.

(Edit-I totally misread what someone said and was talking nonsense, ah just the usual then! :P )

Anyway, I voted for retro. I have no real interest in new systems , although the wii is interesting,mainly for the virtual console though!

Neo geo cd was released in what, 1994? So I guess thats where I draw the line.

Anyone seen this? http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/11/neo-geo...nd-its-awesome/

totally kick ass! :)

Edited by so_tough!

Videogames are about the new. So I go for the new. But I stick by the old :)

I felt like that before, but now I don't really feel the "latest and greatest" thing much anymore. That Colecovision ad does more for me than all the ads in EGM put together. And I don't mean as nostalgia. I am more impressed with the CV.

Edited by Atarifever

I'd be a modern gamer since my favorite systems are Jaguar and Dreamcast.

Bubsy Bobcat is on the SNES, Gensis (which I tend to emulate on the DC), & Jaguar. (I don't count Bubsy 3D). :P

All retro systems I can emulate on the Dreamcast. So modern all the way I guess. (Though I have set up a 7800, 800, & 5200)

I voted "retro." I still play my 2600/5200/Inty pretty regularly. My 360 has been out of commision due to RRoD for weeks and I haven't even missed it. Haven't powered up my Wii in a week or two, either. Older games are timeless - you can always go back and play them to get a better score. It's becuse they're games, not "interactive adventures." With modern games - I would say even most 16 bit stuff - once you beat it, there's no incentive to go back and replay the games. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy modern games, too, but if I had to choose one I'd go "retro." Part of it too is that my lifestyle now doesn't give me tons of time for gaming, so being able to squeeze in 20 minutes here or there is all I can do sometimes, and that's easier to enjoy with older games.