IGNORED

Interest in 2600 Style games for the Pc?

Zenoff64

Im a programmer that has an interest in classic type games, Atari, Nes, and the like, and was wondering if people would be interested in playing Games styled identically (Resolution constraints, Graphics, Sounds) to atari games, but for the Pc.

I lack the ability to program for the 2600, so I figure this would be the next best thing.

I wanted to see if there was any interest, so I wouldn't waste my time creating games no one would play.

Hit me up with some feedback, and i'll get crackin!

If there is interest, im also open to ideas!

I wanted to see if there was any interest, so I wouldn't waste my time creating games no one would play.

That sound cool. I like to play games with VCS flavor! What kind of gender you have in mind? Shooter? Puzzle? RPG? Sport?

How bout' doing a game that everybody likes and is easy to get into? like a simple puzzle game in the vain of "Bust-A-Move"? I would'nt mind that on a pc!

A big part of the appeal of classic games, is playing them on classic hardware. Otherwise, it's not a "real" classic game. Just an imitation.
If you can program PC games, There's a good bet you could make real 2600 games using Batari Basic.

I agree with both points. Check here for the bB forum.

Yeah, I'm not a programmer and even I'm going to make Atari 2600 games using batari Basic.

There is a new IDE that is going to be released soon that will make creating bB games even easier. It could be released any day now, so be on the lookout for that.

While I agree with the sentiments voiced here that if you are skilled enough to program for PC, you could probably learn BBasic programming, I would be fine trying out new games with a classic look written for the PC. I hope you're talking about sharing freeware as a hobby though and not a commercial enterprise. One big advantage to posting ROMs as opposed to executables is that there is less of a trust-factor required, since it is a lot easier to smuggle malicious code in an executable than in a ROM file. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Yeah, I'm not a programmer and even I'm going to make Atari 2600 games using batari Basic.

There is a new IDE that is going to be released soon that will make creating bB games even easier. It could be released any day now, so be on the lookout for that.

That bB IDE I mentioned was released today! Take a look:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123849

Im a programmer that has an interest in classic type games, Atari, Nes, and the like, and was wondering if people would be interested in playing Games styled identically (Resolution constraints, Graphics, Sounds) to atari games, but for the Pc.

No interest here. I don't ever touch any of those. Ocassionally I'll try a modernized remake of a classic game, but that's it.

If you can program PC games, There's a good bet you could make real 2600 games using Batari Basic.

I bet I'd be able to, but these smaller games are just to take a break from my main project, so i'd rather not try learning another language at the moment, no matter how simple.

That sound cool. I like to play games with VCS flavor! What kind of gender you have in mind? Shooter? Puzzle? RPG? Sport?

How bout' doing a game that everybody likes and is easy to get into? like a simple puzzle game in the vain of "Bust-A-Move"? I would'nt mind that on a pc!

Its really up in the air, as im open to any and all ideas.

A big part of the appeal of classic games, is playing them on classic hardware. Otherwise, it's not a "real" classic game. Just an imitation.

I agree with both points. Check here for the bB forum.

That'll likely be something I get into at a later time.

While I agree with the sentiments voiced here that if you are skilled enough to program for PC, you could probably learn BBasic programming, I would be fine trying out new games with a classic look written for the PC. I hope you're talking about sharing freeware as a hobby though and not a commercial enterprise. One big advantage to posting ROMs as opposed to executables is that there is less of a trust-factor required, since it is a lot easier to smuggle malicious code in an executable than in a ROM file. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

Everything would be completly freeware, I aim to make no money from this.

I'm always interested in good games, whatever style or platform. For old-school PC games, I preffer DOS though, but if it's good, it will get played nonetheless.

Good to hear!