IGNORED

7800 system and games pricing question

Rik

I was watching those old Atari 7800 commercials last night.In one they're saying 7800 games are under $20.00,and another said the 7800 system was just over $100.00,man that was half the price of buying a 2600,and in some cases $20.00 was one 3rd the price of some new atari 2600 games.Why were they so cheap?.I was thinking maybe it was because Atari wanted to get rid of all those 7800 consoles and games that have been sitting for years before they released the thing.I had no idea they sold so cheap!

When I had a 7800 but didn't have a NES, that being around mid 87 - early 88, I used to buy 7800 games out of the Sears catalog. As I recall there were 3 price tiers - some games were $9.99, some were $14.99, and some were $19.99.

I remember that all the games I ended up getting at the time were the $10 ones. So those at least included Xevious, Dig Dug, Choplifter. I had Joust, Ms. Pac-Man, and Galaga given to me at Christmas but I think those were also on the $10 list.

Impossible Mission was $15, I remember considering saving up for that.

The Summer/Winter Games were $20. I don't remember for certain where Ballblazer was, but I know they were selling it.

I'd love to look at the 1987 Sears Wishbook again. Somebody previously posted a link to a site with those things but 1987 isn't there.