IGNORED

Falcon 030 - bad Cartridge port

See http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/files/Falcon030_Schematic.pdf

The fuse is labeled 'F2' and is coming off pins 1 & 2 of the cartridge port.

I see that it is not a typical fuse and must be soldered off and then on. I guess I could use a volt meter to check it out or just temporarily use a wire to complete the connection to see if the cartridge port then works. Suppose it is the fuse, where do I get another one. If I go to a computer place that has such items just what am I look for? Are they just called fuses or what? The fuse is just solid black with no numbers.

See http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/files/Falcon030_Schematic.pdf

The fuse is labeled 'F2' and is coming off pins 1 & 2 of the cartridge port.

I see that it is not a typical fuse and must be soldered off and then on. I guess I could use a volt meter to check it out or just temporarily use a wire to complete the connection to see if the cartridge port then works. Suppose it is the fuse, where do I get another one. If I go to a computer place that has such items just what am I look for? Are they just called fuses or what? The fuse is just solid black with no numbers.

I have found out that the Mega STe has the same fuse labeled "F2" and that it is the same one that is one the Falcon. On the Mega it is label 05 AMP, so that is what I will get. A pico 0.5amp fuse. I think I should be able to buy one at Radio Shack.

Probably near the cartridge port, I don't know in detail :(

Well I ordered some 0.5 amp fuses from a guy on Ebay. I was able to get twenty for about $15. I put one in the F2 spot and the cartridge port worked. That's a relief. Thanks alot for the advice the schematic of the Falcon. I think I know now what happened. I am going to put my falcon motherboard in my old Hades tower and I ordered the cartridge port extender from Best Electronics (made by Wiztronics). I use the NEC2000 hardware to get on the Internet which goes into the cartridge port. I accidently plugged the NEC2000 backwards. Now I have done this before in the past and nothing happened, but with the port extender in, the fuse was blown. I know, stupid me. This experience will make me check myself. It will be easier once I get it installed in the tower. At least I know what to do if it happens again. Again, thanke alot.

Good to hear that it was really the fuse :)

Could you make a photo of the fuse location and post it here? For reference for others when the cartridge port fails...

I can but it is not hard to find. Just remove the power unit and it can easily be seen. Just about 1/2 inch from the cartridge port pin 1 and a little port toward the back the of the computer. Kind of small but visible. It is the only part labeled F2. I will see about a picture though.

Could you make a photo of the fuse location and post it here? For reference for others when the cartridge port fails...

I can but it is not hard to find. Just remove the power unit and it can easily be seen. Just about 1/2 inch from the cartridge port pin 1 and a little port toward the back the of the computer. Kind of small but visible. It is the only part labeled F2. I will see about a picture though.

Superatarian, I got you covered. Here is a pic from my project falcon that I am repairing. F2 is the little green part right near the top of the cart port.

post-6701-1208831750_thumb.jpg

Superatarian, I got you covered. Here is a pic from my project falcon that I am repairing. F2 is the little green part right near the top of the cart port.

Yep, that's it. Thanks alot for doing that. I appreciate it.

post-6701-1208831750_thumb.jpg