IGNORED

Atari Vs C64 --- 80s Computer scene etc chat...

kiwilove

This one's Armalyte, the final level of it in fact and well worth looking at in more detail; there is a mini boss that appears around 1:58, when the player twonks it one, count the sprites (one sprite part will be one explosion) and that's eight sprites on it's own and at about 36 pixels wide would need all four players and half the missiles even if we weren't worrying about colour.

Here's another, even older example of what the C64 does with sprites;

and wind forward to 5:23 in particular; the ship, the nasties, power-up icons and all the rocks in the landscape are sprites, 36 in total with another sixteen for the status bars. (Actually, keep watching this one until 7:40, the backgrounds are animated as well...) Edited by TMR

I find Mayhem graphics too similar across levels. It gets boring after a while which gives you no incentive to play that game. Crownland Graphics (possibly mainly due to changing color schemes) was suprising and much more rewarding to me.

thats your personal opinion... what matters here is mayhem does 9 colors (max possible is 12tho) with no tricks while atari needs tricking to get 14-17, and a lot from that is not true ingame graphics, but stuff lke water and some clouds, in the play area you have it more close to 5-7 colors with all the tricks. while the c64 can do 12 colors without any tricks. thats the HW difference.

Besides that, my comments are still spot on.

your comments are ridiculous.

Your comments are like the people in the medieval ages who refused that the earth is round, and even refused to check the arguments which prooved that. You should be taken as seriously as those people. You're like the little kids blocking their ears with their hands and screaming "lalalala I cant hear you lalala". Alright dont check what the SID can do at its best, tho its far better what was done in the eighties, but then you're opinion is not to be taken seriously either.

Fortunately we have the fast and command extended Turbo-Basic XL (Atari can autoboot from disk so you can use this language without having to load it manually)

- C64 Basic is faster than Atari one (but slower then TB XL), has no graphics command

there are various basic extensions on the c64 aswell. but are you sure the c64 basic is faster? the atari has a faster cpu so this sounds strange to me.

Your comments are like the people in the medieval ages who refused that the earth is round, and even refused to check the arguments which prooved that. You should be taken as seriously as those people. You're like the little kids blocking their ears with their hands and screaming "lalalala I cant hear you lalala". Alright dont check what the SID can do at its best, tho its far better what was done in the eighties, but then you're opinion is not to be taken seriously either.

Personal attacks are a clear statement of defeat, ergo my comments still stand.

Edited by thomasholzer

Well, sounds like everything's been decided and we can finally shut down this lame A8 forum. Go Commodore!

Of course this is still a retarded debate because Atari released the 800 in 1979 (before the Vic-20) and Commodore released the 64 in 1982. In technology terms, we might as well be comparing the 64 to the ST or Amiga. Of course the XL and XE line were repackaged 800's created in an R&D vacuum, but the advancements Atari brought to market with the 400/800 were unmatched until the Amiga came out in 85.

From an overall engineering standpoint, I still think the A8 is elegant as hell compared to the 64 which seems like a half-finished Vic-20 hack. The chipset is nice to work with but just about every other aspect is status quo for Commodore. Lame firmware, slow drives that didn't remember their device numbers, bizarre keyboard scheme, complex array of interfaces. Atari spent a lot more time thinking about the details of a friendly, expandable system with a flexible OS. Just because someone clobbered them three years later with better graphics and sound doesn't take anything away from the great product the 800 was.

-Bry

..... Alright dont check what the SID can do at its best, tho its far better what was done in the eighties, but then you're opinion is not to be taken seriously either.

Are you sure you are not the kid in question? Three times I have told you now that I am running A8/fdd and C64/fdd side by side, I even included a picture to make it simple for you. Again, I tell you I have loads of Sid tunes on C64 FLOPPY DISKS, covering the 1983 -1992 Sid era. Nothing to check. I have ALL THE TUNES. I DO NOT NEED ANYMORE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I HAVE LISTENED TO THEM ALL. (I printed this in caps, in case you do that 'lalala' thing).

In technology terms, we might as well be comparing the 64 to the ST or Amiga.

Well, there's a whole lot more C64 games significantly better than their Amiga versions, than that's the case with XL games that got ported to the C64 :P

And yes, I also agree that the A8 should be rather compared to the VIC-20, that's only fair :lol:

I'm also surprised it didn't hurt Commodore's credibility that they released new, incompatible systems every couple years. Good thing the Plus/4 flopped, cause I feel sorry for people who had built a Vic-20 system when the 64 came out.

Sid is not much better than Pokey, just listen to 'The Big Demo'. Anyway, Pokey's were used in numerous arcade machines.

Ah, so that is why most mid-80s C64 conversions outdo their Arcade counterparts regarding music :P

Such as Commando and imho R-Type.

Well, there's a whole lot more C64 games significantly better than their Amiga versions, than that's the case with XL games that got ported to the C64 :P

Example?

I don't need an example. It's called the lame-ass port and every system has them in spades. All you need is one good version of a game so you can get the screen shots you'll use on the box for all the other systems.

Edited by Bryan

Again, I tell you I have loads of Sid tunes on C64 FLOPPY DISKS, covering the 1983 -1992 Sid era. Nothing to check. I have ALL THE TUNES. I DO NOT NEED ANYMORE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I HAVE LISTENED TO THEM ALL. (I printed this in caps, in case you do that 'lalala' thing).

no, you DONT HAVE ALL THE TUNES. you are missing 16 years of sid tunes and 16 years of development which resulted in having the sid sound better. which you refuse to check out to get a picture as of what the SID can do at its best. anyways you're not qualifiyed to be engaged in an argument which makes sense. so farewell. please dont even reply to this. bye.

Example?

Wizball: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1139

Zynaps: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1171

Last Ninja 2: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=659

Creatures: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=281

Hawkeye: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=489

Armalyte: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=88

Barbarian 2: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=119

Cybernoid: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=295

Microprose Soccer: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=744

Shinobi: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1235

There's also games that were still hits on the Miggy, but are generally considered to be better on the C64, like Defender of the Crown or Katakis.

Sid is not much better than Pokey, just listen to 'The Big Demo'. Anyway, Pokey's were used in numerous arcade machines.
Ah, so that is why most mid-80s C64 conversions outdo their Arcade counterparts regarding music :P
Such as Commando and imho R-Type.

I agree and would also add Ghosts'n'Goblins. I honestly don't know which Arcades had Pokeys though and wether any of them in particular sounds better on the C64 ;)

Personal attacks are a clear statement of defeat, ergo my comments still stand.

And in the same way, ignoring my response to some of your comments means that they don't stand.

Three times I have told you now that I am running A8/fdd and C64/fdd side by side, I even included a picture to make it simple for you. Again, I tell you I have loads of Sid tunes on C64 FLOPPY DISKS, covering the 1983 -1992 Sid era. Nothing to check. I have ALL THE TUNES. I DO NOT NEED ANYMORE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? I HAVE LISTENED TO THEM ALL. (I printed this in caps, in case you do that 'lalala' thing).

So that's sixteen years of music you're totally ignoring then. That's not proving any point whatsoever, your limited knowledge quite simply excludes you from making a truly measured comparison. Unless of course you're planning to use that cut-off point for everything rather than arbitarily applying it to C64 music, in which case you're no longer allowed to use Yoomp! or Crownland in comparison to C64 software, not allowed to use G2F pictures in comparison to C64 ones...

Edited by TMR

The NES absolutely blows away the C64 hires modes.

thats true, c64 can do 160 pixels with many colors, while NES does 256 in a similar mode. however there are exception check this screenshot for example of an unfinished game:

Cave_Wizard_[Preview].png

c64 320x200 kicking the NES resolution.

Do you have any further information on this game? The graphics are incredible!

I'm really enjoying this thread! What I'd like to see is people commenting more on which machine they feel is better from a consumer standpoint. I owned a C64 back in the day and really enjoyed the games. It was almost impossible to find A8 comps in my area so the family stuck with Commodore computers. We did have a few Apple computers but the C64 was used more often. Great debate so far!