IGNORED

The most unnecessary thing to the Lynx?

Ataria51

As the topic says, whats the most unnecessary thing for the Lynx, and why?

You can put up a game to, but don't chose that as a first option.

I think the comlynx cable wins. I mean, how did they think back then!? Meeting other people on a BIG Lynx when everybody had GB! :ponder: It was much cheaper, and who needed a colour screen!? No, Lynx is better played alone I say..

I post a picture even if you all know how it looks like and "prefer" you do it to, tnx. :cool:

post-11374-1208295504.jpg

I'd go with that gigantic battery pack. What is it, 6 D-size batteries? It's a massive brick. I had one, briefly, but it just wasn't terribly convenient. Besides, who needs all them batteries when ya got a plug nearby? :D

Cheers,

Smeg

I think the comlynx cable wins. I mean, how did they think back then!? Meeting other people on a BIG Lynx when everybody had GB! :ponder: It was much cheaper, and who needed a colour screen!? No, Lynx is better played alone I say..

I post a picture even if you all know how it looks like and "prefer" you do it to, tnx. :cool:

Lynx better alone? Someone's never played Warbirds or Checkered Flag or Slime World, or Battlewheels, or Rampart, or Xenophobe on and on and on.... lynxed up. Nice idea for a thread, but that is a horrible choice you have there. :P

I'll go with the option to turn the backlight off on the Lynx II, never needed it, not one time. Batter Pack is a good choice too.

Edited by Gunstarhero

I'll go with the option to turn the backlight off on the Lynx II, never needed it, not one time. Batter Pack is a good choice too.

I actually found some use for it. In MegaPak I coded in some full-length songs like Mozart Sonata and Scott Joplin Entertainer. When I just listen to the music it makes sense to turn off the screen to save batteries. Another use I have thought of is to code in some sounds in LynxGPS to tell me to turn left, right or drive straight. In this way I could use the application with audio guidance on a sunny day and turn off the display.

From a hardware point of view the most unnecessary thing is how the address lines are connected. Because of this it is very tricky to make multicarts to the Lynx.

--

Karri

I've used the backlight switch hundreds of times. I really helps save batteries when you have the Lynx on pause, if you're going to set it down for a few minutes.

I'd pick the Flip feature, for switching between left/right handed play. It was brilliant at its time, when the concept of "D-pad left, Fire buttons right" wasn't ingrained in gamers by years of convention. But it wasn't long after the release of the Lynx when most left handed gamers had adapted to the scheme the NES and Master System had set as a standard.

I'd vote for the sunscreen as being the least useful accessory for the Lynx. I haven't played comlynx in a long time, but I have played a ton of comlynx in the past... it's a blast to play Xenophobe, Cal Games, BattleWheels, Checkered Flag, Warbirds, and Slime World with 3 (or more) other players. You should all try it sometime! :D

Lynx better alone? Someone's never played Warbirds or Checkered Flag or Slime World, or Battlewheels, or Rampart, or Xenophobe on and on and on.... lynxed up. Nice idea for a thread, but that is a horrible choice you have there. :P

I agree with Gunstarhero - the BEST way to play a Lynx is Lynxed up with a friend... and if you haven't experienced it yet, it is worth your while to BUY A SECOND LYNX so that you can get some two-player Gauntlet or Zarlor Mercenary or Slime World happening! ;)

I'd vote the Battery Pack - I bought one back in the day and never, ever used it... In fact, I have external D-Cell or rechargeable battery packs for my Lynx, Game Gear and Nomad, and I never used any of them more than once or twice... a great idea in theory which was way too much a pain to carry around...

basketbrawl. end of story. i take it you've never comlynxed? no true lynxer unless you've lynxed up.

basketbrawl. end of story. i take it you've never comlynxed? no true lynxer unless you've lynxed up.

I just picked up a second Lynx a couple months ago. How much does a comlynx cable go for now adays?

-rick

I just picked up a second Lynx a couple months ago. How much does a comlynx cable go for now adays?

-rick

Eleventy billion dollars.

Wow I had both and never played the gameboy, it was a POS compared to the lynx. Who cares if it had a good title, you couldn't see the damn thing. I just never got it on GB. :ponder:

Edited by atarian63

I agree with Gunstarhero - the BEST way to play a Lynx is Lynxed up with a friend... and if you haven't experienced it yet, it is worth your while to BUY A SECOND LYNX so that you can get some two-player Gauntlet or Zarlor Mercenary or Slime World happening! ;)

I'd vote the Battery Pack - I bought one back in the day and never, ever used it... In fact, I have external D-Cell or rechargeable battery packs for my Lynx, Game Gear and Nomad, and I never used any of them more than once or twice... a great idea in theory which was way too much a pain to carry around...

I agree with you both. I probably should have told you I mean the time you only could chose the first and heavier Lynx. I myself havent even tryed the second version yet! I looked at an advertising from releasing the first Lynx, haha. The boys must have been payed off real good for it, because they look pretty ridicolous sitting on the couch with their comlynx cables.. and the lynx.. in sideway..(!)

Edited by Ataria51

Holy crap... wish the Jaguar had that many games to network. If nothing else, the Lynx might be the Atari system with the most networkable games.

Sometimes I think the Lynx is massively looked over. If if had the way to connect up a screen and a seperate hand controller I think the Lynx would be the premier Atari game system.

Wasn't the lynx originally designed to accept magnetic tapes?

The circuit for reading magnetic tape is in Mikey. However, the Mikey ROM does not currently activate the tape mode. When the decision to use tape is made, the ROM may have to be changed. The alternative would be to use an external ROM that would activate the tape circuits.

I would call that pretty unnecessary :D

The comlynx is one of the best things the lynx has to offer.

Edited by roland p

From a gamer's perspective I can't think of anything on the Lynx that was unnecessary. The "flip" mode is borderline unnecessary, but I like to have the option when playing vertically-oriented games. As far as accessories, the sun visor gets very little use in its intended function, but it makes a great screen protector when the Lynx isn't being played!