IGNORED

7800 only plays 2600 games?

phonedork

Like you mean, 100% of 7800 titles will not play on your 7800? If you've only tested a couple games, then I'd say try some more games first. If you've tested a bunch and it is still acting up, try finding a shop that repairs consoles. I live in the MidWest and there is a place nearby called GameSwap (not to be confused with Game Stop) that repairs any console for a small fee. If you don't have a place like that around, search the internet for possible solutions. There may even be an accessory/tool kit available somewhere on the internet for it.

I had this problem a few months ago. It turned out I'd bumped the switch on the little universal wall wart I use with it (my 7800 is modded to use a standard connector), so it wasn't delivering power at the correct spec. It was giving enough to drive the 2600 portion, but not enough to drive the 7800 stuff. So you might try a different wall wart with it, see if that clears it up.

Same problem:

That (wall wart) didn't work for me, I'm using stock 7800 adapter and switched from one 7800 to another and still can only play 2600 games on unit two.

I never heard of the wall wart. What is that? Is it easy for me to fix? My 7800 is S-video modded though. Could that be a reason?

The 'wall wart' is the little power pack you plug into the wall (so called because the bulk of it is basically on the wall when you plug it into a regular outlet). Sometimes, they stop delivering the juice they're rated for. The 7800 side of things requires more than the 2600 side, so when it goes marginal, that's the symptom you get.

The SVideo mod would likely not be the culprit, but that's my guess.

Same problem:

That (wall wart) didn't work for me, I'm using stock 7800 adapter and switched from one 7800 to another and still can only play 2600 games on unit two.

I never heard of the wall wart. What is that? Is it easy for me to fix? My 7800 is S-video modded though. Could that be a reason?

They are referring to the power adapter and recommending that you try another one.

I suppose if something in your S-video mod failed that could cause an issue, but I don't know enough about it to say.

The 'wall wart' is the little power pack you plug into the wall (so called because the bulk of it is basically on the wall when you plug it into a regular outlet). Sometimes, they stop delivering the juice they're rated for. The 7800 side of things requires more than the 2600 side, so when it goes marginal, that's the symptom you get.

Ok I used the wall wart on my other 7800 and it worked fine. So I put Crossbow in and held it in and was able to get it working on the s-video modded 7800. Then I unplugged it and tried another 7800 and it did not work. So again I tried crossbow and this time it did not work. What are those knobs for inside the 7800. They are kind of like the pokey knob in the 5200 but there are two of them labeled R57 and R58.

Ok I used the wall wart on my other 7800 and it worked fine. So I put Crossbow in and held it in and was able to get it working on the s-video modded 7800. Then I unplugged it and tried another 7800 and it did not work. So again I tried crossbow and this time it did not work. What are those knobs for inside the 7800. They are kind of like the pokey knob in the 5200 but there are two of them labeled R57 and R58.

The knobs are typically video adjustment pots, I wouldn't touch those.

From the sound of it, the bits of the cart connector that relate to 7800 games may be marginal. I'd get some Blue Shower from an electronics store, hit a common 7800 cart (like Pole Position II) on the connector with it, wiggle it in and out of the 7800's connector, then let it dry.

If you only have Crossbow, I'd actually tend to suspect the cart. Give its connector a good cleaning with alcohol and a swab.

The knobs are typically video adjustment pots, I wouldn't touch those.

From the sound of it, the bits of the cart connector that relate to 7800 games may be marginal. I'd get some Blue Shower from an electronics store, hit a common 7800 cart (like Pole Position II) on the connector with it, wiggle it in and out of the 7800's connector, then let it dry.

If you only have Crossbow, I'd actually tend to suspect the cart. Give its connector a good cleaning with alcohol and a swab.

I have two Atari 7800s. One S-video moded and the other not. My unmodded 7800 plays all my Atari 7800 games. The S-video 7800 only plays 2600 games. I know my 7800 carts are working on the other 7800 so I know the carts are fine. Its funny,... but that terrible Combat 1990 is the only 7800 game that works on the modded 7800. I am starting to believe that combat 1990 is really just a 2600 game. hehehe! :D