IGNORED

Super Castlevania IV am I the only one?

This game for the SNES rules... but I have two questions for anyone that has played it. 1. Did anyone else think the the level with the jumping spitting man-fish things is really hard? 2. Where there any sequels fo the SNES or otherwise that are like this game? I played Castlevania on the DS and it is nothing like this game (IMO not as good) thanxx!!!

There was another SNES Castlevania entitled Castlevania:Dracula X, but it was a watered down version of the amazing PC Engine game, Rondo of Blood. It's still a decent game in it's own right. Not quite like SCIV, though, as the weird rotating and scaling effects aren't nearly as pronounced.

The Gameboy Advance has three VERY good Castlevania titles, Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow. Most of the games following Symphony of the Night are going to be more like the DS game you played, i.e., more about exploring the castles and gaining new abilities rather than linear stages.

SNES Super Castlevania is pretty good and i enjoyed it quite abit when it first came out and someday i might have to go back and play it again.

Yeah Dracula X for SNES is nothing compared to the PC Engine Super CD version and while i will say SNES is worth playing the PC Engine version is where its at.

The GBA/DS/PS1/Saturn games all fall under that "Metroid-Vania" heading where they follow the the lead of Super Metroid for the SNES which is cool.

Edited by jboypacman

Love Castlevania IV! Very fun, not too hard, but there are some challenging levels. Haven't played it in a couple of years, but I should break it out.

Dracula X is much more difficult, I think. I am NO where close to beating it, but it is much like Castlevania IV.

Bloodlines is ok, but a bit easy and I really don't like either of the characters, or the levels later in the timeline. I still play it, it is still fun, but I think I prefer the SNES games.

One of the reasons that I like bloodlines is because the game took different paths depending on who you played as. The boss battles are also realy awesome. In a couple of the levels there are these flying birdlike creatures, sometimes you can hack off their head and they fly around shooting blood out of their neck. I had a Genesis growing up so that probably is one reason why I enjoy Bloodlines over IV. It's still a great Castlevania game that you should give a shot if you like Castlevania games that are similar to Castlevania IV.

Super Castlevania IV am I the only one?

Nope. :)

post-5887-1208737646_thumb.jpg

Did you get past the fish man level? Also does that retro console play Castlevania IV perfect? I thought I read the NOAC consoles dont play Konami games well (I see you have Contra too which is prob my second favorite SNES game!).

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

This game for the SNES rules... but I have two questions for anyone that has played it. 1. Did anyone else think the the level with the jumping spitting man-fish things is really hard? 2. Where there any sequels fo the SNES or otherwise that are like this game? I played Castlevania on the DS and it is nothing like this game (IMO not as good) thanxx!!!

I like the faux-jazz music that plays in the fish level.

Hey Remo how is that RetroDuo anyway?

Since there hasn't been one, I created a cohesive RetroDuo thread/review here.

Did you get past the fish man level? Also does that retro console play Castlevania IV perfect? I thought I read the NOAC consoles dont play Konami games well (I see you have Contra too which is prob my second favorite SNES game!).

I haven't made it that far yet, I only picked up CV IV recently. Contra works like a champ. :) I have had zero in game SNES issues on the RetroDuo so far.

Castlevania IV is actually one of the easier CV games. The only level I ever have trouble with is the one with the ghost dancers (no idea why).

Tempest

you found the fish men level easy?

After you beat the original Castlevania they all seem easy. IIRC the fish man level was average difficulty for me. You just need to time it right and make sure you don't get knocked off the ledges.

Tempest

Tempest is right. The key to nearly all Merman levels is timing. If your timing is right, you can literally walk/jump your way straight across the area. Keep at it!

it's the damn weird placed grapling hooks that keep throwing me off!!! I've been stuck on this level for weeks and I can zoom thru the other levels with no trouble.

Dude, I'll take on fish-men any time over an unleashed horde of limitless flea-men (Castlvania Chronicles, PSX...1st level where you would expect to find a haunch of meat by breaking out a couple bricks.... OH GOD!!!) :rolling:

Also, Bloodlines is really good, and pretty challenging in its own right (I'd say any linear Castlvania is gonna hurt you). Did anyone else notice that the characters in Bloodlines are tied into Portrait of Ruin... Lecarde, and Morris. I just thought that was a cool throw-back.

Castlevania Dracula X is pretty fun, and I think it is a pretty visually impressive game for the SNES to boot. I also think a lot of people try to say the TGCD Rondo is better, just to make those who own Dracula X feel bad. That game runs for a LOT of money, hell, even the Duo, and the CD expansions cost a lot. I haven't seen much of either floating around second hand or on auction. Last time I did, I was sad, as my pockets weren't that deep! :_(

Castlevania Dracula X is pretty fun, and I think it is a pretty visually impressive game for the SNES to boot. I also think a lot of people try to say the TGCD Rondo is better, just to make those who own Dracula X feel bad. That game runs for a LOT of money, hell, even the Duo, and the CD expansions cost a lot. I haven't seen much of either floating around second hand or on auction. Last time I did, I was sad, as my pockets weren't that deep! :_(

The SNES version of Dracula X is actually a slightly different game, not a port. In Japan I believe it was called Dracula XX or something to that effect. Basically it's a reworking of Dracula X on the PC Engine, but it's different enough that it's not a port. It's worth owning even if you already have the PC-Engine version.

Tempest