IGNORED

So my 360 upscales DVDs?

tiggerthehun

Just curious... I see the HD add-on is now $39.99. I figured at that price, its not a bad deal for an upscaling DVD player, but I've also read that my 360 already upscales DVDs.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Andrew

p.s. - my tv is a 32' hd... no hdmi port, just the 3 colored cables imput. if the 360 DOESN'T upscale, would I really notice a difference with the HD upscaling?

You won't get upscaling through your 360's DVD drive or the HD-DVD add-on if your 360 isn't hooked up by HDMI (Which you can't for obvious reasons) or VGA.

It will not upscale through component cables, even though the technology is capable of doing it, due to licensing restrictions by the DVD Forum that prevents it.

And dvd upscaling makes a nice difference, but its not a huge difference. And the 360 itself is fairly subpar as far as upscaling DVD players go (Or so users at AVS and similar forums say), though I'm not sure if playing it through a hd-dvd add-on would be superior to the 360 doing it by itself (I doubt it would improve it).

So unless you want to buy the VGA cables and have a VGA input on your television, I wouldn't even consider it since you won't be able to upscale your DVD's.

Edited by Atariboy

Your 360 will upscale DVD's if you use HDMI or VGA. If your 360 doesn't have HDMI and your display doesn't have VGA then you can use this handy adapter:

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDeta...roduct_id=69119

This will enable HDMI on a 360 that does not have HDMI. Really it just puts the 360 in VGA mode and converts it to HDMI but it will allow you to upscale DVD's.

You won't upscale commercial DVD's through component. But if you copy your DVD's and burn them onto another DVD, those will upscale. The reason is the copy protection will be gone. A great way to dis-courage piracy! :twisted: :rolling:

The 360 does not upscale copied DVD's either. If you are using component the 360 automatically switches to 480p when you put in a DVD whether the copyright protection and/or region code is intact or not.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

You won't upscale commercial DVD's through component. But if you copy your DVD's and burn them onto another DVD, those will upscale. The reason is the copy protection will be gone. A great way to dis-courage piracy! :twisted: :rolling:

The 360 does not upscale copied DVD's either. If you are using component the 360 automatically switches to 480p when you put in a DVD whether the copyright protection and/or region code is intact or not.

Really? I thought that all upscaling DVD players did that?

It would seem the 360 does not discriminate against copyright protected DVD's.

Your 360 will upscale DVD's if you use HDMI or VGA. If your 360 doesn't have HDMI and your display doesn't have VGA then you can use this handy adapter:

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDeta...roduct_id=69119

This will enable HDMI on a 360 that does not have HDMI. Really it just puts the 360 in VGA mode and converts it to HDMI but it will allow you to upscale DVD's.

That isn't correct, despite the ignorant EBGames reviewer on that link that incorrectly corrects everyone else by assuming it does that. The MadCatz adapter converts the component signal to HDMI, and is only useful if someone doesn't want to tie up a component input on their television or if their tv handles the HDMI input better than the component input (Some displays don't support 1080p over component which the 360 supports for games, this would allow 1080p for games to be sent through a television's HDMI input instead).

It's not starting with the VGA source, and will not enable DVD upscaling.

Edited by Atariboy

It would seem the 360 does not discriminate against copyright protected DVD's.

Oh, a DVD player built to EOC specs! :roll: