IGNORED

Internet Sharing between a Falcon and PC.

Hello once again all. Now that my cartridge port is fixed I was getting back to my original project, getting a Falcon to getting connected to the Internet using a PC. I know the PC in question has to have two network cards, which is the case. I have the hardware from Lynsdon A. that connects throught the Falcon cart port using an ISA network card (NEC2000). I want to use either STing or MagicNet. I started out with Sting and the hardware connects fine when I hook it up straight to the router. When I hook it up to the PC, the PC tells me that there is a connection, but I cannot get the two to talk to each other. The PC card has an Ip addres of 192.168.0.1 and this what I set STing to. The Route.tab file like something like this: 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1. It does show up when I call it up using the Dialer.prg. Everything is set but nothing goes across the cable. And here is something else. When I set the route.tab file as I said and and try and ping something, I get no blinking of the lights on the Atari hardware network card, but if I change the digits to be: 192.168.1.1, then yellow light blinks as packets are sent during a ping. I am thinking I have a setting that I must change. Also, do I need to get some cross-over cat-5 cable because I do not think I am using that. I have not tried MagicNet as yet, but I think I just may.

Yes, you will need a crossover cable.

And if the pc is set to be 192.168.0.1, the Falcon will have to have 192.168.0.xxx.

You will have to tell the pc to route the second networking card to the first one.

In my opinion a Router would be nicer instead to have both machines connected to the net directly.

No need to fire up the pc to get on the net with the Falcon that way. ;-)

Yes, you will need a crossover cable.

And if the pc is set to be 192.168.0.1, the Falcon will have to have 192.168.0.xxx.

You will have to tell the pc to route the second networking card to the first one.

In my opinion a Router would be nicer instead to have both machines connected to the net directly.

No need to fire up the pc to get on the net with the Falcon that way. ;-)

That is what I figured. I have bought the cable off of Ebay and will be getting it soon. I am already connecting the Falcon to a router, I have installed a PC in the computer room we have that my son will use. The router is already full, so when he is on the Internet, there is nothing for me to use, so in this case I will just use the PC's connection. Besides, it will make a nice demo at our next Atari club meeting. Thanks for your imput.