IGNORED

Will Wii component cables work on Gamecube?

wood_jl

Obviously, my Gamecubes are the older model WITH the necessary port on the back.

Gamecube cables are a RIP OFF at like $70 online.

That's over twice what I paid for my last Gamecube.

Please tell me some off-brand Wii component cable will work. But let me guess: They needlessly changed the AV port, right?

Thanx for any info.

A necessary component (Don't know the technical term) for the GC's component output wasn't built into the GameCube, rather it was included on the cable itself. This is why no 3rd party companies have built compatible cables.

The port you need for component video on the GameCube is unique to the GC, the Wii has a new one that supports everything from composite through component without the need for a dedicated port for component output like the GameCube has.

Edited by Atariboy

In addition the actual plugs themselves, while looking similar are in fact different from the Cube and the Wii. I was kind of disappointed to learn that the Wii would be using different cables. It has been great to use the same video cable from SNES, N64 and the Cube without worrying if I had one.

Still the physical connections are a tad different and thus not cross compatible.