IGNORED

Alien V Predator

smoking_muzzle

I have a big Lynx collection and wondered how rare or not my version of Alien V Predator for the system is. I have never seen any like this on e-bay for sale.

The information on the cart is as follows.

Front Side

Chip with Alien V Predator sticker on it. Numbers along the top are C104243-001 Rev.3

When I purchased this many years ago the guy selling it said he worked for Atari and acquired the cart.

The game plays ok and has not for resale on the loading screen.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

post-19404-1209063649_thumb.jpg

post-19404-1209063698_thumb.jpg

I have a big Lynx collection and wondered how rare or not my version of Alien V Predator for the system is. I have never seen any like this on e-bay for sale.

Front Side

Chip with Alien V Predator sticker on it. Numbers along the top are C104243-001 Rev.3

When I purchased this many years ago the guy selling it said he worked for Atari and acquired the cart.

I have yet to check out my version. But I know for sure that my board does not have any Atari logo and such a part number on it. Although I checked mine out a while ago I do not remember for sure that I have seen a "Not for resale" screen. Will double check again.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the 'Not For Resale' was unusual and maybe made my cart a bit rarer. Any further info would be appreciated. I can't find out much on the net about this version of the games value.

I have put a few more photo's on as well.

I am in the UK

Well, how responsive is the game? What can and can't it do?

I have been collecting casually for a few years all consoles handhelds etc. I have had the AVP cart a few years now.

Not knowing how to play the game fully I am not sure what it is supposed to do. Anyway this is what I can tell you.

You turn on the Lynx

Title Screen comes up Alien V Predator

Then it breifly goes blank and not for resale is on screen.

Press A and game intro starts. Short story line and graphics setting the scene.

Then it is the player select screen. Choose either Marine or Alien.

If choose Marine, next screen tells the mission. Locate 1 bomb within predators ship.

You can go round the map with another Marine shooting etc. Press Option button for Player Status ammo etc. Not got very far in game to say more.

If you choose Alien at character select screen you have to collect 1 bomb and get to the exit first. As with Marine press Option button for status, change weapon, map etc. I found the bomb but not the exit!

I read on the internet there are versions that do not let you play as the Alien. After years of owning the cart it is starting to dawn on me that I may have a very rare cart indeed. How can we verify what I have?

What could it be worth?

Edited by smoking_muzzle

http://www.op9.net/vg/Prototype Media/Atari Lynx/Alien vs Predator/a_Lynx_AvP_Proto.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_vs_Predator_(Lynx_game)

I found this photo on a link from Wickipedia. This is apparently the only prototype of the game where you can play as all 3 characters. Notice how similar the number is on the cart to the one I own.

Now I am really excited!

http://www.op9.net/vg/Prototype Media/Atari Lynx/Alien vs Predator/a_Lynx_AvP_Proto.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_vs_Predator_(Lynx_game)

I found this photo on a link from Wickipedia. This is apparently the only prototype of the game where you can play as all 3 characters. Notice how similar the number is on the cart to the one I own.

Now I am really excited!

Sorry, but I'd say it appears you have the same "known" proto of Lynx AvP. I don't know what "number on the cart" you think is so similar, but if you're talking about the circuit board revision number, that's irrelevant to the game in the EPROM. In fact, in my experience, I've rarely seen a genuine Atari Lynx proto with a typed label; almost all have the handwritten label like in the pic you found. It does appear that your circuit board is a genuine Atari board, however.

The number I referred to is the number printed on the board at the top. It is only one number differance to the other cart I mentioned. When you say it is a 'known' proto how many of these were available or in circulation? Especially on an official Atari circuit board. How would you rate my version on a rarity scale? Do you know anyone else who has the same version?

I could be interested in selling but I need to know it's rarity and approximate value. Not much information on the web.

Thanks for the replies

Front Side

I have yet to check out my version. But I know for sure that my board does not have any Atari logo and such a part number on it. Although I checked mine out a while ago I do not remember for sure that I have seen a "Not for resale" screen. Will double check again.

OK, I checked my AvP and I also have the "not for resale" hint on the start screen. I also checked your screenshots, I have seen the same on my Lynx.

There is nothing special on my AvP for Lynx. It is a bootleg which I found as a part of a huge Lynx lot which I bought a while ago from someone who sold off his collection.

There is a guy on ebay who is regularly selling these modules. I believe his account is set up on ebay in Poland. As far as I remember he sells these modules for $25 and they come with a VHS box with a colored inlay. On the ROM there is a stricker similar to yours. The board this ROM is soldered on however is different. But boards like yours can be bought from B & C in the US, if memory serves me correct.

I do not believe that your AvP has a higher value than the a.m. $25.

You can buy repros from B&C. They're about $40 or so. Pretty well made from what I can tell. I just ordered a repro of Daemonsgate from them. I have their AvP repro. So, I would say that it should be worth around the $40 they seem to be going for. Of course it could just be me over paying by a few bucks to get my repro fix from a semi-local (a couple states away) source.

The number I referred to is the number printed on the board at the top. It is only one number differance to the other cart I mentioned.

That's exactly what I was talking about. That number printed on the board is a circuit board revision number, not a game revision number. Lots of different games were placed on this same circuit board. So your cart does not appear to be "out of the ordinary" as protos go, although it does appear to be on a genuine Atari board which usually increases the value a bit if it's known to be a genuine Atari prototype, and not just from someone who took an Atari board and burned their own EPROM to place on it. If it's a legit prototype, I would say it's worth maybe $50. A repro would generally be worth less.

I do have to say I have seen very few typed labels on Atari prototypes. A few, but they're the exception, not the rule.

Smoking Muzzle, sorry you had such a letdown! I could tell you were really excited.

This is somewhat off-topic, but I couldn't bear to start a new topic about the same game. I found a cheap Lynx on craigslist and will get it if it's still available. I've known for a while that there's the AvP prototype for the lynx and knew if I ever got a lynx I'd have to get one... So I just wanted to ask, I saw that the alien isn't playable in the prototype, but that's not such a big deal since the "real game" was the marine game anyway. My question is this: Is the marine game complete? Can you play from beginning to end? Or do you just kinda wander around and wish that Rebellion finished the game? Any help is appreciated.

Adam

My question is this: Is the marine game complete? Can you play from beginning to end? Or do you just kinda wander around and wish that Rebellion finished the game? Any help is appreciated.

Adam

I am also interested to get some more info on this....

Thanks for bringing it up.