IGNORED

Trying to fix a SNES, made a Nintendo screwdriver pics inside

Hi, someone game me an original SNES and it just puts strange characters on the screen and plays random tunes when I plug carts in. I finally have some free time and decided to try to fix it. I had to make a screwdriver to open it up and it was pretty easy (used a dremel tool and regular flathead screwdriver) thought you guys might be interested, so you dont waste money buying one on ebay when you can easily make one in your garage. This will work on SNES, N64 and Gamecube.

post-9269-1209067661_thumb.jpg

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

I've also heard of people using the outer casing of a ballpoint pen... you melt it a bit with a lighter, then press it against the head of the screw while it cools, and it takes on the correct shape.

I actually bought the bits though, so never bothered to try that.

--Zero

I've also heard of people using the outer casing of a ballpoint pen... you melt it a bit with a lighter, then press it against the head of the screw while it cools, and it takes on the correct shape.

I actually bought the bits though, so never bothered to try that.

--Zero

I read about that before I modified the screwdriver. The pen idea is kinda tricky, first you need a specific kind of bic pen and it could take a few to get onhe console open, not to mention all the burned plastic. I'm telling you guys if you have an extra flathead screwdriver and a dremmel tool or a file then that is all you need. The screwdriver I made took about 10 mins then another five mins to make it fit just right. Unfortunately nothing I tried will bring this SNES back to life.

I ordered the bits from an ebay user. I noticed mine didn't fit quite right, but they get the job done. Also, I'm not sure a screwdriver could be cut like that for all Game bit applications. NES carts are notoriously hard to open even with the correct bit.

I ordered the bits from an ebay user. I noticed mine didn't fit quite right, but they get the job done. Also, I'm not sure a screwdriver could be cut like that for all Game bit applications. NES carts are notoriously hard to open even with the correct bit.

You would need a smaller screwdriver if you were going to open carts, since they used a smaller gamebit (3.5mm vs 4.5mm) screw on the carts. I know the bits are readily available on Ebay but you still need to pay shipping and handling and wait. I wanted to open my SNES now and try to fix it and I didn't want to spend 10 dollars on something that I may never use again (and it's not like I knew if I could fix it either..) plus I never did get the SNES working, but at least I accomplished something!! Now if I ever need to open one of my N64's, my SNES II or some future retro Nintendo console I come across I will be able too.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie