IGNORED

can batari basic display text?

midnight8

I don't think the 2600 has text built in. You have to use sprites or playfield pixels to create letters and numbers.

thats what I thought. just wanted to make sure

There are actually a few ways to write text, but nothing really super easy.

* write text using playfield - this is what I usually do. can scroll it too

* write text using player sprites, or a really tall player sprite

* override the definition of the numbers/digits displayed for score and use it to display characters

There may be other ways as well, but those are the ones I know of.

There is a 12-digit x 12 line text kernel waiting for integration into bB, and the way to integrate it has been worked out, IIRC. It's just waiting for me to spend the time to do the work (but... if the multisprite kernel is any indication, it will be a painful process.)

There is a 12-digit x 12 line text kernel waiting for integration into bB, and the way to integrate it has been worked out, IIRC. It's just waiting for me to spend the time to do the work (but... if the multisprite kernel is any indication, it will be a painful process.)

Good luck on that Fred...its never easy adding something new to code and I can imagine

it's no easier on the 2600.

I can't wait for that batari, it sounds awesome! Do you think it will be something we can use to create text adventure games? Will it be usable in tandem with the standard kernel, for example to add a start menu to a game?

Yes to all. It will likely be a function that takes over the screen for as many frames as you wish, and will work with the standard kernel or independently (though if used with the std. kernel, it will clear your playfield if invoked, since it needs to use memory there for the text.) You get 12 lines of text, 11 of them can only be changed a whole line at a time, but one (and you pick which one) can change individual characters of the text.

With the multisprite kernel, however, it will clear all player definitions, locations and other parameters, so you'd need to reset everything after you finish with the text.

I don't want to get everyone too excited, as it will probably take a while.

• 1 year later...