IGNORED

Tron Light Cycles

Any chance Surround can be hacked to be a more exciting game? More like the light cycles from Tron? From this post the following quote interested me...

I believe Thomas changed them to make it ressemble a Tron cycles game.

Yep, here it is. This bad boy is going to a cart!

Tron__Surround_Hack___2006___Thomas_Jentzsch_.bin

And although that is a much nicer looking Surround game, part of me is wishing it had a few more tweaks to make it more fun. Like for example, if the trails and bikes were half their size we could have a larger playing area for the game and it would look nicer in my opinion. Also, if there was a more robust single player experience, maybe some obstacles or something like that.

I looked up the reviews for Warring Worms and it sounds like a closer idea to what I had in mind although it's still a bit blocky and you shoot cannons in that game so it's less Tron-like than what I am imagining.

If anyone has played the awesome GL Tron you will see what I mean. Using the button to get a brief boost in speed adds a much more interesting dynamic to the light cycles game.

I know the 3d graphics of GL Tron won't be possible for the 2600 but would a Surround hack at least be possible to get closer to the 2d element? I think that would seriously rock.

Not really.

Although WW offers 5 additional rows of movement (23 vs. Surround's 18), it offers less columns (32 vs. Surround's 38). In both games, column width is dictated by the machine's playfield limitation of 40 pixels per scanline.