IGNORED

Operation Darkness Demo

JamesD

I downloaded and played the Operation Darkness Demo.

Eeewww

Everything I hate in a game and more. This might have been fun as a board game but it plods along at such a slow role playing pace I can't even begin to enjoy it. After a couple full tuns I was ready to have the characters shoot me!

Way too slow.

Going into this one, I hadn't been sure what to think. I had initially thought it was a FPS. When I discovered it was a TRPG I immediately put it on my wish list and was looking forward to it. Then this demo comes along, and the game has now been removed from my wish list. I'll probably get it if I see it for cheap, but I'm not going to waste time on it otherwise.

It's interesting to compare it to Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3. Valkyria looks kind of strange with it's odd mechanics, but it actually looks like a next gen game while Operation Darkness looks like it was just now introduced to the PS2 era. It's not just graphics. Valkyria's gameplay looks so much better than the mandatory camera battling to find the one enemy 200 squares away in Darkness. Just the fact that the sample videos show the Valkiria characters coming into enemy contact on the first turn displays a much more involving design. I think I'm either going to love Valkyria's new combat system or hate it with the burning intensity of a blue-white star. At least I won't be bored to tears like I was with Operation Darkness.

It's a shame the Operation Darkness demo portrays the game as sucking so bad. It has a nifty hook, and the mechanics could have been servicable with a better camera and level design than on display in the demo.

What a disappointment hearing this. I love tactics games and I thought this game looked kinda cool. (Although the graphics reminded me of something that should have been a Live arcade game.) I haven't tried the demo yet, so I guess I'll reserve judgement.