IGNORED

unreleased prototypes, how many of each known?

y-bot

Which Atari 2600 unreleased games have more than a few copies known? And how many of each? Obviously the questionable Best prototypes are in decent supply but what about the others? Maybe this has been done before but I've never seen a list.

Thanks, y-bot

Maybe this has been done before but I've never seen a list.

I've never seen one either, and you likely won't because it'd be almost impossible to put one together. There's really no accurate tally of what's out there...how are we really supposed to know? It'd be much easier to give a list of the games where only one copy is known to exist than it would be to name the ones where multiples exist.

As a general rule, many of the Atari titles (Aquaventure, Dumbo, etc.) exist in multiples, but not all.

Edited by PingvinBlueJeans

Why do you want to know?

Please don't say: just curious.

8)

Because I don't understand the values of them. Most of the hardcore collectors probably know which ones are more common but I don't. When I see X game for sale for $200 I would like to know if it's a deal or not. Some time ago I was bidding on some prototypes on Ebay and I was surprised at how low some went for and how high others went for. So basically yeah, I am just curious. No big find on the way or anything like that.

y-bot

There's only 1 "complete" Dumbo proto known to exist ;)

See post 115:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...3737&st=100

Known by who? You're making assumptions based on what you know and what ROM images are floating around. I know of at least one more that exists.

Additionally, I have no idea what Omegamatrix is talking about, but Dumbo wan't "meant to be PAL".

You have to look at the 'most logical' colors, I suppose.

Off topic: is there a quick way to check my collection for 'in between two formats' ROMs?

8)

Unfortunately, no. I always have my scanline count enabled in my emulator, and from experience found most NTSC games don't vary too much from 262. Usually up or down a scanline or two. Same with PAL games, usually between 310 to 314. There is always an oddball game here and there. I can think of Artillery Duel, and Air Raid off the top of my head. The NTSC Great Escape rom had 288 lines IIRC until I dumped mine. Still looking for Wall Defender to be dumped and Z-Tack.