IGNORED

ST ROMS?

Hey all.

I hate to bombard you all with questions...however, doing a little sniffing online, I have found two good torrents of ST software, one said specifically ST games, and the other just said ST software.

The STs use the standard 3.5" floppy discs... is there any way to put these roms on a disc, and have them play?

I picked this computer up primarily to play games on... as I think it is a fine pursuit.

H there,

I have written a small tutorial on the D-Bug website (link in my sig, click on 'extras' when in the site). Generally there are lots of ways to transfer disk images to a real ST.

What a bunch of morons are you D-bug folk...

Quote: "Note: There is a program called FloImg that claims to be working perfectly and can read/write disks on the PC. D-Bug strongly discourages the use of this program, as it is known to wipe out whole Windows partitions without any sort of recovery!!! "

Last year, Drive Image was that which wiped partitions...

Thank you very much for helping Atari community with your idiotic, personal biased behaviour.

Too bad that people thinks that you are some Robin Hoods... Just money and fame hungry psychopats/sociopats...

Edited by ppera

Hey all.

I hate to bombard you all with questions...however, doing a little sniffing online, I have found two good torrents of ST software, one said specifically ST games, and the other just said ST software.

The STs use the standard 3.5" floppy discs... is there any way to put these roms on a disc, and have them play?

I picked this computer up primarily to play games on... as I think it is a fine pursuit.

Don't use FloImg. Later (highly improved) versions can cause gas explosion in your building, or that your baby getting cancer !

You have been warned !

http://www.ppest.org/atari/

I am guessing that there is some history between you guys that I am unaware of?

Seriously, I try to stay out of any sort of drama...just bad all around. I just got an ST, and am a pretty big n00b with Atari computers. I' pretty stoked, but am not too worried about having factory purchased software...just because I got 70+ floppy discs with this bundle, and only 3 discs are authentic originals (the Language disk, 1st Word, and Silent Service).

Just wanting to get some good play time in with it.

Ok, so I have the game ROMS now, and I have the disk image writer, and the floppy driver.

Is there any concern over what kind of floppy discs are needed, aside from well... 3.5"? I am more or less going to attempt to put one game per disk, just for keeping everything organized. I see floppies that are listed as IBM formatted, and PC formatted. Does any of this matter since they are being reformatted for the Atari?

Ok, so I have the game ROMS now, and I have the disk image writer, and the floppy driver.

Is there any concern over what kind of floppy discs are needed, aside from well... 3.5"? I am more or less going to attempt to put one game per disk, just for keeping everything organized. I see floppies that are listed as IBM formatted, and PC formatted. Does any of this matter since they are being reformatted for the Atari?

Yes, there is a history of stupid insults what started with CJ, then ggn continued. Some posts were deleted here on my request, so they decided to spit on their site, and so called 'guide' . what a miserable one (independent from what they say about FloImg) .

To keep it short, last year DriveImage was program what deletes Windows partitons. It even had some sense, since that program can do it if user is very uncareful or stupid like brick (as only D-bug member can be).

Then I saw ggn's reply here and went there to see is my program mentioned there - I was on that is not. But was wrong, it was 'mentioned' ...

All what can say: every little experienced PC user may see how absurd it is: that floppy handling program will damage partitions- Not only damage but wipe... This latest is ridiculous - to wipe some 80 GB drive. you need lot of time, and it is not possible to do from Windows, which constantly accesses C partition.

To answer your questions: use quality floppies. PC and Atari have different floppy controller chips, and it means that only very good recording will be good readable on other machine.

Of course, you need 3.5, DD (720K) floppies.

IF use my FloImg (it is for XP) then no need to care much about format. If get messages about RNF errors, just check in 'Format' . MSA images are better than ST, because hold more informations.

So much in brief.

About half the ROMS are .MSA, the other .ST.

Does FloImg do some formatting when you write? From what I read on the site, it doesn't seem like it matters too much.

I was thinking of taking the time to reformat all the floppies on the Atari and then use Floimg to write the images to the disks.

Unless that isn't possible. I missed out on the era of PCs and heavy floppy disk use... Last time I had to use floppy disks I was like 13 or so... and even then, the transition to CD was well under way. I was like 5 years sold when the ST was new.

I'll play around with it, and see what kind of results I get.

You do make it hard not to answer. Oh well, maybe this will get deleted if you start crying to the moderators again....

Yes, there is a history of stupid insults

And yet you mentioned it again. The man requested to keep the drama for your mama, and you didn't, you cry-baby.

what started with CJ, then ggn continued. Some posts were deleted here on my request

On your request? Now that's comical!

, so they decided to spit on their site, and so called 'guide' . what a miserable one (independent from what they say about FloImg) .

Yeah, because we diss your hard drive formatting app? (edit: so says the man with an excellent grasp of the english language)

To keep it short, last year DriveImage was program what deletes Windows partitons. It even had some sense, since that program can do it if user is very uncareful or stupid like brick (as only D-bug member can be).

Stupid, as installing the damn thing in one's pc? Yes, I agree.

Then I saw ggn's reply here and went there to see is my program mentioned there - I was on that is not. But was wrong, it was 'mentioned' ...

All what can say: every little experienced PC user may see how absurd it is: that floppy handling program will damage partitions- Not only damage but wipe... This latest is ridiculous - to wipe some 80 GB drive. you need lot of time, and it is not possible to do from Windows, which constantly accesses C partition.

How about the program wiping the FAT you clever person? Clearly it takes a pc expert to write a program that does this so fast.

...and then you went on whining in every damn forum about us stating facts, and even wanted to report us to our ISP for piracy? You're comical. Keep it up!

Edited by ggn

I refuse to pick this morons dummy back up off the floor one more time. I dunno about the germs from the dirt, but its been in his mouth and thats bad enough for me.

Folks, here's the bottom line.

If you want to use his software, then do it, we can't and won't stop you - just be WARNED.

Edited by CyranoJ

About half the ROMS are .MSA, the other .ST.

Does FloImg do some formatting when you write? From what I read on the site, it doesn't seem like it matters too much.

I was thinking of taking the time to reformat all the floppies on the Atari and then use Floimg to write the images to the disks.

Unless that isn't possible. I missed out on the era of PCs and heavy floppy disk use... Last time I had to use floppy disks I was like 13 or so... and even then, the transition to CD was well under way. I was like 5 years sold when the ST was new.

I'll play around with it, and see what kind of results I get.

FloImg formats when 'Format' checkbox is checked. Otherwise just writes sectors. Formatting is usually not required, and of course slowdowns image writing to floppies. Format is needed if you have floppy with less sectors and/or tracks than image requires. For instance if you have floppy with 720K and image is 800 or even more.

In any case, it is good idea to do format on ST, and then write images on PC. It will be little better readable.

But you need some formatting program which can more formats than Desktop formatter.

I don't recommend FastCopy Pro (very popular). It may produce problems on PC.

My last talk here about D-bug and their shitty behaviour. Really can do nicer and more useful conversations here and anywhere other...

No reply to nonsenses from CJ...

They recommended 'guide' on their site... It is very short and primitive. Then, they recommend some program named HD-Copy for floppy disk images on PC. They claim that it works in all Windowses. Program is from 1995... Of course it works not in XP, actually it frozes immediately. As bonus even link to file on site is dead :roll:

It was just example about their seriousness.

Another: using terms what don't know - wiping means complete overwriting of all sectors on hard disks, and then really datas can not be restored. But now CJ talks about deleting only FAT... (datas can be restored with knowledge and special SW) . So much about their consistence in this . But is what we can expect from pshychopats .

Finally, they insulted not only me, but Simon Owen too, who did excellent low level floppy driver for Win 2K, XP and later, what FloImg uses to override limitations of built-in one. Unlike Win 95, first edition, which can read most of Atari floppies, Win XP can not work even with 800K floppy, very popular among Atarists.

Edited by ppera