IGNORED

4-port & 2-port 5200 Game Incompatibilites

Tempest

Does anyone have a complete list of which games have problems with the 2-port 5200 and which games have problems with the 4-port 5200? I've heard of the following:

4-Port

-------

2600 Adapter (won't work)

Pole Position (something with the controls)

Super Pac-Man (people say it freezes)

2-Port

-------

Pitfall (supposedly doesn't work)

Anything else?

Tempest

I know Pitfall!, K-Razy Shootout, and Moutain King don't work on the 2-port. I recently hacked them so they work though. You can get them from the Did Atari know about the 2-port incompatibility thread.

I would like to know where Super Pacman freezes. I can't get this behavior on the emulators. It's hard to track down the problem when you don't know where it's happening.

What's the deal with Pole Position and the 4-port? How does it behave?

I didn't know any of the games failed on the 4-port.

I have tried Super Pac-Man (from Sean Kelly's multicart ) out on my 2-port, and it will not run. *From my imperfect memory: The moment you try to load it, the bottom half of the screen fills with garbage, and the machine locks up.

I have Super-Pac man on a home-made Eprom cart and it does work with my 2-port 5200 supersystem.

Sean's multicart version, haven't I read that it doesn't work on any 5200 for some reason nobody has discovered? Along those lines, did he bypass or mess with the 5200 BIOS at all, could that be the reason for the SuperPac failure? It has to have something to do with memory access, because the ROM works on its own.

Does anyone have a complete list of which games have problems with the 2-port 5200 and which games have problems with the 4-port 5200?  I've heard of the following:

4-Port

-------

2600 Adapter (won't work)

Pole Position (something with the controls)

Super Pac-Man (people say it freezes)

2-Port

-------

Pitfall (supposedly doesn't work)

Anything else?

Tempest

I hadn't heard about any game problems on the 4-port, only the 2600 adapter. (Which, of course, is fixable with a hardware mod)

As has been mentioned, the three games that have problem with the 2-port are Pitfall, Mountain King and Crazy Shootout. This is on both the multicart and regular carts. This is fixable by switching out the BIOS with one from a 4-port.

I believe the Super Pac-Man problem is related to the menu software on the new multicart. At least I think that's what Sean mentioned on his site.

It plays fine on both a 2-port and 4-port with my EPROM cart.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

You can just switch the BIOS out with no problems? Intersting...

Yes my Super Pac-Man prototype works on both systems, but I assumed it was because they fixed the problem in my later version. I still haven't figured out what the differences are...

Tempest

I have tried Super Pac-Man (from Sean Kelly's multicart ) out on my 2-port, and it will not run. *From my imperfect memory: The moment you try to load it, the bottom half of the screen fills with garbage, and the machine locks up.

Do you see any of the text such as "PRESS * TO START LEVEL"? Could someone post a screen shot of what it looks like when the game locks up?

You can just switch the BIOS out with no problems?  Intersting...

Tempest

Yes, it's pretty simple. :) You must have missed this thread. It got discussed a bit in a few other threads previously as well.

Mitchhttp://atari7800.atari.org

Yes, and thanks to Mitch, I did, and now I don't have any compatability problems! 8) :D

NoahsMyBro wrote:

Allan - How did you get the screenshot?

I used my TVx card in my Mac. I just ran the 5200 into the input of the card and captured a picture with the software that came with it. I got the card a couple of years ago for about $30 bucks.

Allan

Thanks Allen.

Do the character move on the title screen?

I looks like it's the DLI routine. Maybe the character set is not changing. I'll have to look more at the code to see though. I actually remember reproducing a screen like that by changing the code in the DLI.

DEBRO Wrote:

Do the character move on the title screen?

The Fuji screen comes up. Then the title screen comes up. You can see that for less then a second everything is fine but then the characters that make up the words 'Super Pac man' change into what you see on the screen shot I posted. Non of the characters move there positions.

Allan

I have caused the same lock up in Atari800WinPLus. Once the game screen comes up I change the interrupt vectors to their default state. The game will lock up for a while but will recover after about 2-3 seconds.

I don't know if the real system would recover or not. This may just happen on the emulator.

Does anyone have the means of changing bytes on the 5200 while the game is running to see if this is the case?

I couldn't add my screen shot because it's a PCX. It doesn't look exact but that may be because of where I stopped the program. I may not be stopping it at exactly the right moment.

Oh and in case someone was wondering, I sent this information to Sean too. It may not be the issue but it's a start.