IGNORED

Floppy problem

I just traded for a 520ST, and since I have never owned one before I'm not sure how to run it. The operating system seems to work fine. When I turn the computer on the desktop comes up, but the external disk drive just makes a buzzing sound and the power light doesn't come on. It doesn't seem like the computer even knows it's there, but it doesn't start buzzing until the computer is turned on. Are there any ideas on what the problem might be?

I just traded for a 520ST, and since I have never owned one before I'm not sure how to run it. The operating system seems to work fine. When I turn the computer on the desktop comes up, but the external disk drive just makes a buzzing sound and the power light doesn't come on. It doesn't seem like the computer even knows it's there, but it doesn't start buzzing until the computer is turned on. Are there any ideas on what the problem might be?

You may want to see if the drive belt is still intact. I have a 520STFm with the old drive in it running with a rubber band right now because the belt turned to black goo. Also have a SF354 with a rubber band because of the same issue.

It's even not sure that floppy drive is faulty. It may be floppy controller circuit in machine, or cable.

Of course, trying another drive will answer some questions.

But fitting PC drive requires setting it to drive 0, what is even not possible with all (especially newer) drives.

Btw. it is not power light on floppy drive. It is activity light :)

Edited by ppera

I would also put a multimeter on the powersupply and make sure that is OK first.

At the bottom of Techie_alison's atari page you will see some pics of a Sony MPF-920 (which is still easily found) connected to an Atari floppy drive circuit board. the pics show what is needed to make it work. I used them as a guide and the drive works great.

http://www.logicsays.com/

I have tried 2 different floppy drives and 2 different cables with the same result. I tested the power supply with a volt meter and it has the correct voltages. Maybe it's the computer; I don't know.

It is looks like it may be the computer. Did you open up the 520? I would open it up and push down on all the socketed chips. Also check floppy drive connector. specifically the solder joints. It could need to be resoldered to the board.