IGNORED

Actiplaque removal experimentation

Krytol

I understand that record collectors use naptha to remove stickers from the sleeves because it removes the sticky stuff but doesn't harm the printing underneath. So I bought some VM&P naptha and tried soaking a severely Actiplaqued copy of Laserblast.

Here's the disastrous result:

laserblast.jpg

:sad::x

Ugh! Well, it was worth trying, at any rate. If someone does eventually figure out a way to remove Actiplaque from labels, that would be great, but I don't have my hopes up. I'm guessing that the label would have to be removed, all the old glue would somehow have to be removed, and then new, "Actiplaque-safe" glue applied in its place. And even then I have doubts that the previous glue staining could be removed. But I'm willing to let others experiment all they want in the name of progress. :D

..Al

Yes thats what I never understood about that therory of removing and replacing the lable. It will still be stained when you put it back on. Perhaps you could remove and replace one that had not yet been affected.... but at that point you might assume a different glue was used anyways that didnt have the problem.

I agree with Albert, the doubts run high that it's a viable solution.

The only way I have ever heard of stamp collectors removing stamps is by soaking them in water. Would it be possible to hold the Atari game on a dish of warm water so the game doesn't get waterlogged but the label comes off? The Activision label doesn't look really flimsy - I think it might hold up to the water and not disintegrate.

The only other thing I can think of is to find a solvent that will dissolve the glue without soaking into the label too much. Any ideas?

Toluol and (like many/most other organic solvents) highly toxic and a carcinogen!

The stamp collecting stuff is called Toulol or something. XTclaus talks about it in this thread -  

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...highlight=stamp

Anythings worth a try, I cant find the stuff though.  

Adam

Cheers,

-Hans

---

http://www.cyberroach.com

• 2 weeks later...